E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering 535i xDrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive m sport package
Default Lowering 535i xDrive

I'm considering lowering my 535xi I have the H&R sport lowering springs.I'm just debating whether or not to do it or just put some 19 or 20 on it. Doesanyone have a write up on it already is it worth doing the suspension or not?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No personal experience with them, but many members report the H&R springs for the E60 Xi are terrible on both factory dampers and Bilsteins, which are your only two options. Going plus sizes on wheels really does nothing to fill up your wheel wells if you keep the overall rolling diameter close to stock. If you start going to larger than original diameter wheel/tire packages you can start to fill up the wheel wells, but you are raising the overall ride height of you car at the same time. There may be unwanted performance side effects of doing this and I personally find it looks a bit silly. A 535Xi is a pretty tall car to begin with. Adding enough meat in the wheel wells to fill them out without lowering makes the car take on an off road wagon look - Think Subaru Outback, Volvo XC60 and Audi Allroad in terms of height and ground clearance. Go too big with the wheels trying to fill the wheel wells and you have yourself a donk...

Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi 2010
Model Year: 2010

biz77, just jack up that car a bit and it would be ready for some serious off roading- LOL. Great picture.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive m sport package

Lol thats a sweet ride. That's what I've been reading about it just give your car a crappy ride. I'll just stick with the stock height and throw some nice BBS on it.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Yep the only real option for suspension for you XI guys are CO's. Lowering springs are a complete waste of money.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

I am really bummed out that for the Xi guys the only way is coilovers. When I got the car I figured springs would be enough, maybe new shocks as well. It really didnt run through my mind that the suspension set up would be that much different from normal RWD E60s. But anyway...

This is what I heard, someone please clarify if possible.

-Springs and shocks are possible but the ride quality blows and it could cost as much as a coilover set up. (Not as much as KW3s tho)

-There are only two coilover companies for the Xi guys. CKS and KW.
*For the CKS: I heard some people were pleased, and some said it was a terrible product and terrible customer service.
*For KW - V3s are the best ones to get and the only ones that will fit Xi models. Best quality. Also the most expensive.

Me being in college and well on a budget... lol... I really wanted to start with lowering my car. But with the looks of it... over 2.5k for coilovers isnt gonna happen anytime soon. Unless something cheaper comes along like maybe around 1k. Still surprised the E60s dont have many parts out there in the first place... and well they are pricey still. But I guess you gotta pay to play.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi

I just installed these exact springs on my 535xi this past weekend. It took me about 6 hours to do by myself (First suspension work...ever). Overall the ride is noticebly more bouncy, but I have riden in many other lowered cars that literally beat you up as you sit in the seat.

I say install the springs AND get 19s or 20s, you will be pleased.

For my curiosity, why did you buy springs if you weren't sure you wanted to install them?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

I had H&R springs with OEM and it was way too bouncy. Then I replaced OEM with Bilstein B8's and kept the H&Rs as well, but the ride was insanely harsh and consistent bottoming out. In the end I went with a KWv3 setup and never looked back. Amazing ride, amazing handling, and fully adjustable.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Does anyone in ma have it on hr springs? I'd love to go for a ride to see the difference. My new summer setup on 19's looks great but. .needs that gap filled
Old 12-03-2018, 12:13 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61
Model Year: 2010

H&R springs in the front. Bilstein B8 struts. Custom longer endlinks to keep front swaybar in the right place. Amazing for highway cruising, but awful for city / backroad driving. I went looking for Eibach or an OEM E60 Sport spring, but didn't find many sources. Would consider selling them with low miles added if you're anywhere near South Carolina.
Name:  6zoLPDW.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  528.6 KB
Name:  knS4wFa.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  685.7 KB
Name:  hszkuAf.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  4.33 MB
Name:  eLfaCDQ.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  3.28 MB