E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low Oil Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

I am getting a 'Low Engine Oil Pressure' pressure warning in my i-Drive (04' 530i) once in a while.

It is erratic and when I switch off the car for a few minutes and restart, the warning message is gone.

I checked the oil using the dipstick and it isn't low.

BTW - it doesn't happen often and I have seen this twice in the last month after a really long time (the first time was a day after my factory warranty expired )

After researching the forums it seems there isnt much conclusive information on why this happens but dealers have indicated a bad oil pressure sensor could be the culprit.

Before I go that route when it really starts bothering me, I wondering if others are having a similar problem and if there is any diagnosis other than the sensor.

thanks in advance ~ V
Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

either a bad sensor, or worn engine bearings.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='920658' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:55 PM
either a bad sensor, or worn engine bearings.
bad oil pump..., clogged oil filter ( but it should have some bypass valve, not sure the bypass valve will save you the message or not...) Perform an oil change, check the oil carefully to see any abnormal condition or not....
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I had the same problem a while back, took it to the dealer and they said that the E60 (and all Bimmers) burn a little oil over time. My SA said just to add about a qt every 5000 miles and it should be fine, nothing serious.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Members

It's more likely a sensor issue than a mechanical issue, assuming your car's been maintained regularly and doesn't have 150,000 miles.

There's no reason the dealer can't hook up an external pressure gauge and see if the oil pressure is in spec hot and cold. It shouldn't cost you more than one hour of labor.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='921006' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:20 PM
I had the same problem a while back, took it to the dealer and they said that the E60 (and all Bimmers) burn a little oil over time. My SA said just to add about a qt every 5000 miles and it should be fine, nothing serious.
I don't see a connection between a slightly low oil level and low oil pressure. The pump will get plenty of oil from the pickup even when the level is down a bit. Aside from checking the pressure sensor, I'd also make sure there is no sludge build-up issue, as sludge can clog oil passages, oil pickup, etc. and possibly cause a low pressure situation. Intermittent, but infrequent low oil pressure warning may not be a big deal, but it could be an indication of a developing problem. An oil-starved engine will ultimately lead to really expensive repairs. I'd have it checked out.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by vsark' post='920655' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:53 AM
I am getting a 'Low Engine Oil Pressure' pressure warning in my i-Drive (04' 530i) once in a while.

It is erratic and when I switch off the car for a few minutes and restart, the warning message is gone.

I checked the oil using the dipstick and it isn't low.

BTW - it doesn't happen often and I have seen this twice in the last month after a really long time (the first time was a day after my factory warranty expired )

After researching the forums it seems there isnt much conclusive information on why this happens but dealers have indicated a bad oil pressure sensor could be the culprit.

Before I go that route when it really starts bothering me, I wondering if others are having a similar problem and if there is any diagnosis other than the sensor.

thanks in advance ~ V
I got the same message a while back, it went away and has not come back. I wonder what it is really.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Contributors

definitely the sensor, nothing major
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

I have about 46K miles on it and change the Oil every 5-6K miles. I checked the Oil and it looks fine.
Any way to check sludge?

From all the comments, it looks like a sensor issue. Maybe ignore it till it is back for an extended period?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

I have an 04 530i with approximately 80K. About a month ago I received this exact error - low oil pressure. I let the car cool down and I then checked the oil. Everything seemed in check, but I added some oil just in case (within the limits), but I knew I was going to take the car in just for the piece of mind. In total I received the error 3 times over the month, so I finally dropped it off at the dealer last Tuesday June 16th 2009. Later that afternoon I received a call from BMW saying had a faulty oil pressure sensor, so they replaced it under the CPO - copay $50.

So far so good.

-Jay

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning