E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low oil pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport package
Default Low oil pressure warning

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I have a question, hopefully you guys will be more help then the dealership. I have an 08 550i, and a couple weeks ago I received the low oil pressure warning and it only happens when I brake. I also had issues with water frying my modules in the trunk and the dealer replaced that but they are also saying the low oil pressure warning is due to the many oil leaks I have like the alternator bracket and valve cover and also the valve stem seals but every time I get the warning I check the oil physically with the dip stick and on the I drive and both say it's ok amount. They want 4K to fix the leaks. Any opinions on if I should trust it will fix the problem? Any help appreciated thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

the leaks have nothing to do with the low oil pressure. Replace the oil pressure switch (located under the vacuum pump) and see if the problem comes back.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

yeah i figured, Thanks cakes
Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

+1 on replacing the switch. If you're mildly handy, it's not that hard.

Also, I would recommend getting the alternator bracket and other leaks done, but get an independent shop quote, not from a dealer.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by cakes
the leaks have nothing to do with the low oil pressure. Replace the oil pressure switch (located under the vacuum pump) and see if the problem comes back.
That is not 100% correct. If the leaks are bad enough and enough oil leaks you would get a low pressure message. If you are low on oil the engine cant produce enough pressure which triggers the low oil pressure message. First check your oil level if low fill and see if message goes away. If its not low then it would be the switch.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:49 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
That is not 100% correct. If the leaks are bad enough and enough oil leaks you would get a low pressure message. If you are low on oil the engine cant produce enough pressure which triggers the low oil pressure message. First check your oil level if low fill and see if message goes away. If its not low then it would be the switch.
The OP stated that he/she checked the oil level and it was OK, although it wasn't quite clear exactly how the OP checked the level. The fact that the low pressure message comes on only when applying the brakes (low engine RPM), does indicate either a low oil level OR a leak right at the pressure switch OR faulty switch.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
The OP stated that he/she checked the oil level and it was OK, although it wasn't quite clear exactly how the OP checked the level. The fact that the low pressure message comes on only when applying the brakes (low engine RPM), does indicate either a low oil level OR a leak right at the pressure switch OR faulty switch.

Yes I read what the OP posted but I was simply replying to the quote in my post because the post was incorrect (enough oil leaks out then you will have a low oil level). Low oil level will give you low pressure. Oil level has a lot to do with pressure. I also went on to say if the oil level is not low then it would be the switch.