E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

low oil pressure malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

well, none of us were there, but yeah, the 60-0 does seem a little excessive lol
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
I take it you have not had a Physics class in a while?

not full oil mixed with panic stop = Object in motion stays in motion unless stopped by a force = to or greater.....

Oil sloshed forward of the scavenged oil pick up on the bottom of the motor...

This was very problematic on E36 M3's and E30's that were raced.... they had to build a Step or ramp in the oil pan to let the oil move in the pan and keep from starving the motor when going threw very high g turns...

Dry slump would help too.

my thoughts exactly. probably low oil and the abrupt braking cause the oil to shift and thus triggered the sensor. Once the car was pulled to the shoulder, the oil stopped sloshing and leveled out and then the sensor realized "oh nm!".

Get the oil change, check the oil levels, and just carry a quart in the trunk in case. I recently received a low oil light too and that was the firs time I've ever seen it in the past almost 27k miles I've had my car. I heard the same thing about the car burning anywhere from 1/2 to 1 quart every 5-10k miles.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I knew my car was getting low on oil a few weeks ago, but I was too lazy to add a quart unless the warning light came on. Whenever I let the car idle in my neighbors driveway while I dropped my daughter off the low oil warning would come on and a few minutes after I got back on the road it would go off. It turns out my neighbors driveway is sloped so when the car faced downhill the oil would run to the front of the engine and cause the warning. Apparently the level sensor is somewhere in the back of the engine.

As long as the warning light doesn't come on when the car is level then its ok.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Why did you have to do that? I would think a slow down would be enough to let the bozo in considering the smart and the audi kept moving at speed...
There wasn't enough room to slow down b/c when the guy in the audi realized that there was the smart car in front of me he started to push me against the wall. The on coming car was about two car length in front of him and drove up onto the dirt side of the road to avoid hitting him. It was either have him ram the side of my car and i hit the wall or have the on coming car hit him head on since my car and his car were nose to nose. If the smart car wasn't in front of me i would have just slowed down but being there wasnt enough time and the smart car couldn't get up the hill fast enough i had no choice but to jam on my breaks. All i know is the guy in the on coming car made a u turn once he got control of his car and went after the audi..
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
try not to let your levels get too low, might hurt your baby

Levels aren't low the oil is at full according to the idrive
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by gildagjg
Thanks everyone.. Yeah I feel like I am always adding oil and keep extras in the trunk.. This just made me freak a little,lol... I work over an hour and a half from my house so tonight I will drive slower,lol just in case its something more severe than a misreading... Saturday when I get the oil changed I'll have my dad check the sensors, everything and anything that pertains to oil ha ha...
When I bought the car two years ago and i first heard the 37 degree chime I was like wtf is that.. I couldnt get to the glove box fast enough for the owners manual haha..

" BTW this post will self-destruct in 60 secs...........................1.................2 ...........3............" PJINCA that cracked me up hahah I was like B_A_N_G hahah...
My guess is that the full on panic stop temporarily pooled much of the oil in one area of your engine, causing the sensor to get a low reading,

As for burning oil, my 550 burns a quart every 5-6k miles, I just periodically check the oil level via the iDrive and when it falls to 2 green bars, I buy another quart and keep it in the trunk.

Most important of all, your quick reaction kept you and your ride safe and unharmed.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
well, none of us were there, but yeah, the 60-0 does seem a little excessive lol

when he realized there was a car coming at him only a few feet from us and there was a car in front of me he started to push me against the wall. So it was either get side swiped, hit the wall, have him get hit head on and still hit me or stop my car so I made a quick decision to stop my car.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I always keep two quarts of oil in my trunk just in case i am on the road and it tells me i need a quart. I checked the idrive once I got to my office and the oil level is at full. It must have been caused as some have said due to the abrupt stop and the force of the oil away from the sensor. It took me two hours to get home from work tonight and the car was fine. Yes " sdg1871" the most important thing was that a tragic accident was prevented and my car avoided major damage. All i know is when i left work at 4 there are skid marks on both sides of the road from my car and the on coming car and looking at them we both narrowly escaped the asshole driving the audi.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by gildagjg
when he realized there was a car coming at him only a few feet from us and there was a car in front of me he started to push me against the wall. So it was either get side swiped, hit the wall, have him get hit head on and still hit me or stop my car so I made a quick decision to stop my car.
good choice lol