E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

low oil pressure malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Some ass in an audi was all over my bumper this morning as I drove 55mph on a one lane road. He decided to go against on coming traffic to go around me. What he failed to realize that there was one of those Smart cars in front of me. So as he goes around to cut me off a car coming in the opposite direction just misses him. I had to jam on my breaks so I can avoid what would have been a major accident and let this asshole in. In doing so I had to come to a dead stop from 55mph once I stopped the red oil symbol came up on my dash and said "Low Oil Pressure Malfunction possible engine damage" I switch the car from DS into D and drove to the shoulder when the light goes off seconds later and now the Idrive has "All systems OK"..
My question is has this happened to anyone, would the sudden stop cause this? I know my car is due for an oil change in 20 miles which it is getting done on saturday, could that have anything to do with it?.... I have owned numerous BMW's yet for some reason my E60 always make me nervous when those Idrive messages do off...

Thanks for your help!!

Jil
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Possibly just low oil

The *ding* kills me too sometimes......
Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

It isn't that serious, but the iDrive makes you think your car will explode like a "mission impossible" message. I have had 2 dealers tell me that our cars burn about half a quart of oil every 5-10k miles and to just keep a quart of oil in your trunk for these messages. I took their advice and have seen this message twice and had no issues. BTW this post will self-destruct in 60 secs...........................1.................2 ...........3............
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I have had 2 dealers tell me that our cars burn about half a quart of oil every 5-10k miles and to just keep a quart of oil in your trunk for these messages. I took their advice and have seen this message twice and had no issues. BTW this post will self-destruct in 60 secs...........................1.................2 ...........3............
Good to know!

*ding* Reality malfunction, service immediately, a warranty claim will not be submitted *ding* it is also 37 degrees
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
Good to know!

*ding* Reality malfunction, service immediately, a warranty claim will not be submitted *ding* it is also 37 degrees
Yeah, my dashboard had me looking like the RCA dog too when it gave me a "warning" that it was 37 degrees.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Thanks everyone.. Yeah I feel like I am always adding oil and keep extras in the trunk.. This just made me freak a little,lol... I work over an hour and a half from my house so tonight I will drive slower,lol just in case its something more severe than a misreading... Saturday when I get the oil changed I'll have my dad check the sensors, everything and anything that pertains to oil ha ha...
When I bought the car two years ago and i first heard the 37 degree chime I was like wtf is that.. I couldnt get to the glove box fast enough for the owners manual haha..

" BTW this post will self-destruct in 60 secs...........................1.................2 ...........3............" PJINCA that cracked me up hahah I was like B_A_N_G hahah...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

try not to let your levels get too low, might hurt your baby
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I take it you have not had a Physics class in a while?

not full oil mixed with panic stop = Object in motion stays in motion unless stopped by a force = to or greater.....

Oil sloshed forward of the scavenged oil pick up on the bottom of the motor...

This was very problematic on E36 M3's and E30's that were raced.... they had to build a Step or ramp in the oil pan to let the oil move in the pan and keep from starving the motor when going threw very high g turns...

Dry slump would help too.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by pjinca
Yeah, my dashboard had me looking like the RCA dog too when it gave me a "warning" that it was 37 degrees.
Haha! You mean Nipper?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by gildagjg
I had to come to a dead stop from 55mph
Why did you have to do that? I would think a slow down would be enough to let the bozo in considering the smart and the audi kept moving at speed...

Quick Reply: low oil pressure malfunction