E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low Coolant Warning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started my 08 535i this morning, after one day of sitting. (It has been unstarted for a couple of days in a row before)

11,000 miles.

After backing out of the garage, the low coolant level warning came up.

I drove to get some coolant, (about 4 miles), and when I restarted the car... no warning.

I didn't make much of it, and will manually check the coolant level tomorrow morning, but...

Has anyone else experienced such a thing, and what would make it happen if coolant level turns out to not be low?

TIA
Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I've had this before. If the level is border line already, cooler temps can cause a slight shrinkage, for the lack of a better term, in the coolant. Stop by the dealer, they should top it off for you. A couple of things to be aware of, some dealers don't give oil or coolant top offs for free despite the maintenance program. They argue that covers regularly scheduled services only. Mine and many others do it for free however. And also watch what the use. I had the warning several weeks ago and the dealer simply topped off with tap water. As the car is a lease, I didn't make a scene. Ideally they should use coolant or distilled water...

By the way, it happened on both my 2008 550 (at roughly 11k miles!) and my old 545.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='759318' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:02 PM
I've had this before. If the level is border line already, cooler temps can cause a slight shrinkage, for the lack of a better term, in the coolant. Stop by the dealer, they should top it off for you. A couple of things to be aware of, some dealers don't give oil or coolant top offs for free despite the maintenance program. They argue that covers regularly scheduled services only. Mine and many others do it for free however. And also watch what the use. I had the warning several weeks ago and the dealer simply topped off with tap water. As the car is a lease, I didn't make a scene. Ideally they should use coolant or distilled water...

By the way, it happened on both my 2008 550 (at roughly 11k miles!) and my old 545.

+1

happen to me at 6k/10 months old....stopped by the dealer and they topped it off for free. I asked what they used, my SA said it was a 1/2 n 1/2 mix of coolant and distilled water.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ADD' post='759316' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:55 PM
I started my 08 535i this morning, after one day of sitting. (It has been unstarted for a couple of days in a row before)

11,000 miles.
I drove to get some coolant, (about 4 miles), and when I restarted the car... no warning.
I didn't make much of it, and will manually check the coolant level tomorrow morning, but...
Has anyone else experienced such a thing, and what would make it happen if coolant level turns out to not be low?
TIA
While it was probably [as previously posted] contraction from very cold temps, it makes sense to have your car inspected to ensure there are no leaks - from something a simple as a loose hose clamp - or worse ... a failure in some area of the cooling system.

Instead of telling your SA to merely add coolant/water mix, I would ask that they investigate possible coolant loss. That may require a pressure test and while they're at it they can ensure the level is up as required.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Thanks! That's what I figured.

I will stop by the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='759322' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:14 PM
While it was probably [as previously posted] contraction from very cold temps, it makes sense to have your car inspected to ensure there are no leaks - from something a simple as a loose hose clamp - or worse ... a failure in some area of the cooling system.

Instead of telling your SA to merely add coolant/water mix, I would ask that they investigate possible coolant loss. That may require a pressure test and while they're at it they can ensure the level is up as required.
Yep. It's happened to me twice, always when it's very cold, and always when the car has been sitting for a few days. Unless you are seeing it happen in more irregular conditions, I bet you have a borderline low coolant level and nothing more.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

Originally Posted by ADD' post='759316' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:55 PM

11,000 miles.

TIA
This happened to me as well, after about 3 months and 5K km of driving. The SA at the dealership told me that it was normal, and he topped it up for free.

Rob
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='759318' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:02 PM
I've had this before......cooler temps can cause a slight shrinkage....
Thanks for sharing!!

Low Coolant Warning...-costanza_pic.jpg
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='759927' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing!!

Attachment 68457

Puck, that was TFF!!! What a great episode that was...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributors

This can also happen when your fluid level is only slightly low, AND you go down a hill after starting or you have parked on an uneven spot. The sensor then detects fluid level below the minimum.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Warning...