E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low Coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoore_
How convenient, i just got the "low coolant" message this morning in my car. Came on here to do a little research and I see this post lol. I needed gas, so after i put gas in just a few miles down the road, the message didnt come back once i started her up. Ill be inspecting it later today...

had the same problem couple weeks ago. The message appeared when I first started the car in the morning. After dropping my daughter off at school, I then started it again and it's gone. In my case, the message will come back again the next day and so on. I ended up topping off with 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water, as posted by many other posters here, and the message is gone. Still keeping my eyes on it though just in case it's a crack or some sort on the radiator or plastic tubes.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

AS FAR AS MY SITUATION is concerned I'm having my system flushed and pressure tested Thursday. the anxiety of this situation is killing me. I only added like a few ounces but whatever, I must make it right
Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
had the same problem couple weeks ago. The message appeared when I first started the car in the morning. After dropping my daughter off at school, I then started it again and it's gone. In my case, the message will come back again the next day and so on. I ended up topping off with 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water, as posted by many other posters here, and the message is gone. Still keeping my eyes on it though just in case it's a crack or some sort on the radiator or plastic tubes.

As of yesterday morning I have not gotten the msg again....I will be keeping an eye on it
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by Diamond
Guys-first off do not NOT NOT use any other anti-freeze than bmw. You cannot even use tap or mineral water as the mixture. You need pure distilled, no mineral added water plus the bmw antifreeze. They have a very specific composition that you can find in other brands but its very specific. ESPECIALLY if you have the n52 engine wtih magnesium portions-this material does not play nicely with other elements-this stuff runs through your engine guys-its not worth scrimping.

If low add pure water (distilled) not the OTC coolant-You can do pure water, there is plenty of coolant in your system if you are only topping it off.

Second, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a closed, pressurized system to loose coolant. There is nowhere for it to evaporate. The ONLY losses are a VERY VERY mild evap into the metal engine-but that is microscopic and would not lower a level. When you check the level be sure to do it when completely cooled and even then it can vary. It depends on if you had the a/c on/head on/off when turning off-you have a signifigant amount of coolant running through your heater core or coolant area. So all that will determine at what level is your resevoir tank. However if you get the message you are too low.

Also guys you CANNOT just add coolant and pop the top back on. YOu have to bleed the system to get the air out or else you can have air pockets throughout the system that will not flow coolant properly and over heat areas of the engine. You have to open the reservoir tank when cold, fill coolant and leave the cap open. Start the car and run with the A/C switched on to circulate it through the entire system. Keep it running until your engine is wamr-maybe 10 minutes in summer or less. THan cap the resevoir tank while running and you are good to go.

Some good info, thanks for the post
Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I used to have this warning creep up on me every 4 to 6 weeks at a time, after topping off.

Until one day my water pump decides to just give up/quit. It (water pump failure) happened so fast I didn't notice it was going bad. After removing my water pump, I realized it had a slow leak by all the build-up of what appeared to look like coolant behind the pump pulley. As soon as I pulled the belt off of the pulley, water began gushing out like a hydrant being run over, seriously.

As others have stated, buy the BMW coolant the dealers offer. It's a little pricier (I think) but a small price to pay for piece of mind knowing you have the correct type of fluid circulating in your BMW engine. There's also instruction on the container to show you how to top off correctly
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
Actually that is totally inaccurate-the resevoir indicates coolant is lost from ANYWHERE in the system-so any leak, anywhere, will lower your coolant reserve. A low coolant level will not blow a resevoir-I had this same issue-my dealer even "inspected it" said they found nothing. topped it off. Well 3k miles later I got the warning again and took it in under warranty and they diagnosed a radiator leak and was replaced.

They fed me that line about "it bein gnormal"-fact is its not normal to lose coolant-I went 3 years without ever losing it and then they told me it was "normal"-dont buy that-look into it. Small leaks wont leave puddles since it evaporates before pooling.

You can look in the resevoir to see if oil is mixed with coolant-will point you to certain locations

No, its not totally inaccurate. I'm basing my opinion off feedback from 2 years of reading these forums every day. That is why I underlined the word "usually".
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer
No, its not totally inaccurate. I'm basing my opinion off feedback from 2 years of reading these forums every day. That is why I underlined the word "usually".
I mean its cool if you want to think that but not to give members bad information. The resevoir tank on our cars is the only access point to add coolant and thus is simply an extension of the radiator plumbing. Any cause or loss of coolant-ie leaks, will caush coolant loss and thus a low level in the resevoir. It is by far not the most common cause of coolant loss to have a resevoir tank problem that '"blows up" I promise you that that "usually " is not the case.

But you can believe that!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

Ok folks in my SITUATION I had the coolant system flushed and pressure tested for 30 min and had no leaks. My mechanic thinks the coolant hadnt been checked or flushed in the cars 52k miles and the few ounces it was "LOW" was normal. I really dont know now just hope it stays fixed,,,,to be continued I guess.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by esmolol
I was alerted to my coolant level being low by the warning system in my '06 530xi.

I checked the manual and read that the source of coolant loss should be investigated. I then dutifully called the dealership and enquired about this. The person on the other side told me that I could use any 50/50 antifreeze mix. When asked about whether car needed to come in for a check, I was informed that it is not unusual for a car of periodically need coolant topped up.

Does anybody have a contrasting opinion to what I was told?
That follows what I have experienced, except that I bought BMW antifreeze because some brands don't play well with others. If it's not down too much you probably could just add distiller water.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth I also had my system pressured tested by the dealer---came back normal. However problem kept happening-low coolant. I took it again right after warranty experired and they then found the radiator broken and leaing slightly-they covered it but a normal pressure test means its normal or there is a small slow leak.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant level