E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low battery signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
gpt
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have this happen? When I sit with the car off and key in position 1 for less than 5 minutes just listening to the radio, the low battery signal comes on. I don't want to risk draining the battery completely so I start the car. Could this be some type of sensor malfunction or possibly the battery isn't holding a good charge? Thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by gpt' post='265987' date='Apr 7 2006, 01:11 PM
Anyone have this happen? When I sit with the car off and key in position 1 for less than 5 minutes just listening to the radio, the low battery signal comes on. I don't want to risk draining the battery completely so I start the car. Could this be some type of sensor malfunction or possibly the battery isn't holding a good charge? Thanks
Check the search function on battery output or charging. This was discussed in length fairly recently. I can't recall what the outcome was, other than a service tech's warning that E60 batteries always need charging and implying that they run on the margin a lot. Wasn't very reassuring.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember while the radio on the L7 amp consumes a lot of power (400W) from your battery. This is quite common for cars with L7 and Nav.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

happens for two years now. dealer never resolved it. happens with 2 new batteries
Old 04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

I have this too - first time it happened as dealer was doing a CIP upgrade and battery just died! they changed the battery and blamed it on defective battery - told me its fixed now. Got the same message after a week- decided not to worry about it anymore - justa glitch in software. I will mention it next time I'm at the dealers, but don't think they will fix it anyway!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by my530i' post='265998' date='Apr 7 2006, 08:32 PM
Remember while the radio on the L7 amp consumes a lot of power (400W) from your battery. This is quite common for cars with L7 and Nav.

Do you guys sit in your E60's in the garage and listen hard rock

The E60 is so full of amp/W using electrical devices that without
driving the car the charger doesn't have the time to fill the battery.

For those who only drive some few miles at the time a battery charger
could be handy.

If the battery goes too low it will confuse the whole electrical system.

A E60 is not like the good old times Chevy where you could jumpstart
it whithout any problems.

Try to jumpstart your computer and cellphone...
Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My battery was doing the same thing for the past couple months. But since last week, everytime I go to start my car the battery has been completely drained. Even after sitting for only 2-3 hours. I dropped it off at the dealer last night and they're working on it right now. I don't have the L7 sound system, but I did do an aftermarket system. The dealer called me and told me that they thought it might be the stereo I put in, but I installed the stereo almost a year ago and I just now started having the problems after my CIP upgrade (20.02). Either way, they disconnected the stereo and ran another test and there is still a draw coming from somewhere else, so I don't really know what's going on, but I would say there's something wrong with the CIP version I have. Not to mention, the power draw due to my stereo would only account for the battery being drained when I have either the ignition on, or the car started, not when it's just sitting there overnight. I have an adapter that will only turn on my amps and power the whole system when it recieves an audio signal from the headunit, so if the car is off, there's no audio signal and there should be no power draw. I'll let you know what they come up with when I get the car back, no idea when that will be though.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='266036' date='Apr 7 2006, 11:49 AM
Try to jumpstart your computer and cellphone...

Hahahha Ya you jump start a E60 or use your E60 to jump someone else... be prepared for a trip to the dealer so they can repace the iDrive and a bunch of computers... just ask around here... someones tried it here who jump started their other car and ended up blowing up the iDrive on their E60. I'm not saying it'll happen everytime but avoid it. If the batter is flat tow it into the dealer. Refuse a jump start from the tow truck. Or if your friend has a dead batter... call AAA for them.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E60 has voltage regulator, so it should be OK to jump start. I jump started my brother Ford Ranger pickup truck brazillion (remember the brazillion story in the lounge?) times
there's no audio signal and there should be no power draw
You're not right. If you have new headunit, it'll draw current from battery to keep it's memory alive.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='266269' date='Apr 7 2006, 11:21 PM
E60 has voltage regulator, so it should be OK to jump start. I jump started my brother Ford Ranger pickup truck brazillion (remember the brazillion story in the lounge?) times

You're not right. If you have new headunit, it'll draw current from battery to keep it's memory alive.
I have the stock headunit, it's not drawing anything. And even if it were, I've had the stereo for a lot longer than I've had this problem, the problem just started. So my stereo could be drawing slightly, but not enough to kill the battery if its only sitting for 3 hours. I used to be able to let my car sit for weeks, even with the stereo, and there was no problem. It's just really weird, maybe I just destoyed the battery somehow, I don't know how, but it just doesn't seem like it's holding a charge. We'll see what the dealer says I guess.

Quick Reply: Low battery signal