E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loud whistling at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's very windy outside, I'll begin to hear a very loud whistling sound coming from the dashboard area at about 80-90mph. If it's not windy, it'll begin around 120-140mph. I checked the seal around the windshield and the windshield cowl at the bottom and it looks nice and sealed up. Nothing looks worn or sun damaged. I called the dealer about it but they aren't allowed to take the car over the speed limit, and I certainly wouldn't want them to do high speed test runs in it. Any ideas on what/where I should look for any air leaks?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Unhappy

Crazy, I was just getting ready to post the same problem. Noticed mine three weeks ago with my nephew in the car. He's a very heavy kid and after he got out and I continued on my way I didn't hear anymore. All was quiet until just the other day and the noise returned. Mine started at 85 mph and then the other day I was hearing it around 80. I opened sunroof, actuated the wipers checked the seals opend and closed the hood looked in the grill and under the car and nothing! I will clearly watch this post...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Does anyone out there have an idea? I checked my jack pads and they seem ok. This noise just recently started and sounds to be exactly the same between the two cars. Surely, there are more of you hearing the same. This is just a little too strange to me that two of us have the exact noise issue... I'm thinking to remove the jack pads and tape the receiver holes and see if this changes anything. The OP through a PM said he heard a missing jack pad can cause this. I remembered hearing the same from the dealer when I had one actually missing but I don't recall the any noise issues.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Members

I hope someone can figure this out soon. For a car that's made and tested to travel at high speeds on the autobahn, this whistling sound at high speed is really strange. I'll check under the car this afternoon for those rubber pads, but if yours are there and it's still making the whistle sound, mine probably are too. I'll definitely mention this to my service guy and see if one of his techs can look underneath/around the car for anything loose or missing, but my next scheduled service isn't for another 13k miles. Hopefully, someone will figure this out before then.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

A good test for troubleshooting these noises is to use some blue painters tape and tape up cracks, seams, etc. Start with taping over the windshield molding.

If someone out there bought my E60 that I got T-boned in.... after they replaced the windshield I had a maddening whistle noise coming from the drivers side trim area. The trim looked perfect but I could make it stop by covering the seam. I didn't get it fixed prior to trading it for my 535.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

did find the rt front jack pad a little loose and the front clip broken but still intact. I flipped it around to if anything changes. In the next days Ill start with the taping the winshield and go from there. Hopefully I can identify it.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem, I think this is a defect in the windshield lining where wind will leak in and make the whistling noise.
85+ miles usually is when it happens.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Hmm, same problem here going a little over 110. I thought it was my hide-away front licence plate, or maybe replica front bumper. Sounded like coming from under front of car, but it's not a process of elimniation I can keep trying at that speed . So I am on the receiving end on this one.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Members

I'm beginning to think this is a fairly common problem with the E60 design, but many people probably don't drive them as fast as we do for it to be noticeable. After reading a few other posts online from other forums, I think this could indeed be from the windshield. I doubt the dealer is willing to replace it for a "whistle as above legal speeds", and I'm sure it costs a fortune out of pocket. Grrr
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

Looks some guys have reported air leaks after having a windshield replaced. Check out this thread.

My link

Quick Reply: Loud whistling at high speed