E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lots of problems after jump-start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Hello,
I hopee somebody can help me with some tip here...
This morning when I was to start my car it seemed to be out of power. The display was blinking and acting crazy and there were not even enough power for the start engine to react at all.

I got some help from a guy with jump-starter cables, and after a few tries I got my car to start. But now it is acting very strange... Here is the list of faults (disocered so far...)

1. power steering is out
2. window wipers are running continously no matter what I do
3. In fact it seams like none of the controllers around the steering wheel is functioning (blinkers, high beams, cruice control)
4. Windows do not work (come down)
5. Error code on air bags, seat belt pre-tension etc.
6. the car does only lock on the back-doors from the remote

In addition the service indicator suddenly indicates time to go to service, even this should not be for another 20.000 km or so...

Can someone please tell me what is going on?
Can this happen due to power failure?
Or is the jump start the issue?

Some tips would be very appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

try replacing your battery and see what happens....

***members have reported a cluster of warning and error messages when their batteries have gotten low...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

If you got a battery charger around put your battery on it overnite and see if that helps.

Never heard the battery causing all the issues your having though. Low battery will give off warnings but I've never heard of it effecting the things your having issues with. But you never know and charging your battery completely or replacing it is the easiest and cheapest way to start.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does sound like a knackered battery, but i would like to know how you jumped the car? ie what points did you use?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='804581' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:29 PM
it does sound like a knackered battery, but i would like to know how you jumped the car? ie what points did you use?
Good point that could be very relavant to the electical issue. Battery replacement sounds like a good choice too.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

I had the same problem..... Just buy a new battery and your car will be fine after that
Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='804581' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:29 PM
That's the answer I'm waiting for as well...
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Members

I had these same problems two weeks ago. My dash and idrive was going in and out, wipers coming on by themselves, through up every warning code symbol the car could think of, and I shot up a check engine code. Battery went fully dead in my driveway and I jumped it using the spots shown in the book. Replaced battery at the dealer and all was good.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Thank you all for good advices and suggestions.

After the jumpstart I actually drove for almost 3 hours (returning from a weekend trip) so the battery was charged during this. But everytime the car was started up it was the same issues.
Since it is sunday today I can not get hold of a new battery today. What I did though was to disconnect the battery for some minutes, thinking in an old fashion way that this might reset the car. And guess what? When I fired it up again everything was normal!! A great relief!!

Regarding the jump start I was actually really worried, because I was not sure of a proper procedure and step-by-step correct way to do it... We connected the helper car while this was running.... after a while a mechanic came by and said that actually could frie the brain of the car as it is receiving a pretty high amount of volts at the connection.... So after that I was worried.
I connected the cables to the dedicated point in engine room (+) and the (-) on one of the engine fixations.

I would however appreciate if somebody could tell me the correct procedure for jumpstarting these cars correctly, without risking damage.

Thanks all!!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributors

sounds like you did everything fine, using the positive post under the plastic flap. and the earth post near by.
it wouldnt matter if the other car was running.
just change the battery for peice of mind.
good luck.

Quick Reply: Lots of problems after jump-start