E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Losing Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 10:54 AM
Members

I have the sport package with the 18" wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RFT's. My quesiton/problem is: Do any of you keep getting the tire monitor system yelling that you have a flat, only to find out that one of your four tires has lost some air? I have not gotten a flat, damaged a tire, picked up a nail, etc on any of my tires. They just randomly lose air. It happens about every 3 weeks or so and it will be a different tire each time. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 lbs either, but 10 or more lbs. It is almost like the bead came unseated for a moment and some air escaped. This morning, it was the driver's front. Last time it was the passenger rear. It is starting to make me wonder if something is wrong. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 07-18-2008 | 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

You are absolutely positively sure there is nothing wrong with any of the tires? What I know some people have done is fill up the tire to 2 - 3 psi lower than recommended, set the FTM, and then add another 2-3 psi. This way they'll have to lose about 6 psi or so before the system will come on

Michael

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='627524' date='Jul 18 2008, 11:54 AM
I have the sport package with the 18" wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RFT's. My quesiton/problem is: Do any of you keep getting the tire monitor system yelling that you have a flat, only to find out that one of your four tires has lost some air? I have not gotten a flat, damaged a tire, picked up a nail, etc on any of my tires. They just randomly lose air. It happens about every 3 weeks or so and it will be a different tire each time. This morning, it was the driver's front. Last time it was the passenger rear. It is starting to make me wonder if something is wrong. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='627524' date='Jul 18 2008, 09:54 PM
I have the sport package with the 18" wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RFT's. My quesiton/problem is: Do any of you keep getting the tire monitor system yelling that you have a flat, only to find out that one of your four tires has lost some air? I have not gotten a flat, damaged a tire, picked up a nail, etc on any of my tires. They just randomly lose air. It happens about every 3 weeks or so and it will be a different tire each time. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 lbs either, but 10 or more lbs. It is almost like the bead came unseated for a moment and some air escaped. This morning, it was the driver's front. Last time it was the passenger rear. It is starting to make me wonder if something is wrong. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Did you set up the iDrive after tyre change?

Do you have OEM BMW wheels?

We'll start with these....
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

If you're loosing that much air consistantly and are absolutely sure the tires are fine, then take it to a reputable shop and have them pull the wheels and leak test them in water (you could do this yourself if you're really bored). If no defects exist in the tires, your leak could be an improperly set bead, leaking valve stem, or even possibly cracked rims (my favorite on 124-styled wheels - had 2 with this issue, same symptoms as yourself. Multiple fissures on inner rim, radiating toward center of wheel). Let us know what happens. Hopefully it's benign.
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:24 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

+1 definitely explore these options before tricking the system.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='627546' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:23 PM
If you're loosing that much air consistantly and are absolutely sure the tires are fine, then take it to a reputable shop and have them pull the wheels and leak test them in water (you could do this yourself if you're really bored). If no defects exist in the tires, your leak could be an improperly set bead, leaking valve stem, or even possibly cracked rims (my favorite on 124-styled wheels - had 2 with this issue, same symptoms as yourself. Multiple fissures on inner rim, radiating toward center of wheel). Let us know what happens. Hopefully it's benign.
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

fractured wheels maybe? should go get them checked if you lose that much air
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:48 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hi,
I did encounter that kind of problem with my first E60 (2007) equiped with OEM 135M 18'.
The problem came out the runflat Dunlop tires (all 4) losing about 220 gr of air/week
The tires have been replaced by conventionnal ones (non-RFT) and the problem disappeared.
Now, your problem might have another origin (I don't want to relight a fight btw RFT & non-RFT fans), I was just sharing my personal experience...
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I experienced the same issue on my 124's with RFT. Never got to the bottom of it. Not sure if it was tire or rim. The weird thing it it was only one wheel. I heard members mention the 124's are notorious for cracking. Make sure you check it out.
Old 07-18-2008 | 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

ill go with valve stem or bent rim issue
Old 07-18-2008 | 06:06 PM
Contributors

+1

... during the past 6 months I've had to adjust (add) tire pressure for one rear tire every 4 weeks or so. I routinely check tire pressure every month and the others are usually within a pound or two of correct [likely temperature at the time causes slight differences]. That one rear is usually 4-6 lbs low. Examined tire for obvious punctures or cuts - none noted. Haven't done a soapy water look around the rim and valve but have a dealer visit next week to check DSC fault message and will have them inspect TPM and rim for faults.

Here's a tricky question > Car is still under warranty and I also have wheel and tire insurance. If the problem is a leaking bead or rim stress crack w/o any obvious damage caused by road situation etc which warranty should incur the cost or repair?

Quick Reply: Losing Air