E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i- Cold weather package, OEM 128's 20"

Hello to all, I finally decided to jump on the forum and sign up last night instead of simply jacking everyones DIY and mod ideas. But Ive run into a problem, now that I have managed to save up some money, I realized choosing mods for your car isnt the easiest thing in the world. Theres so many possibilities I cant decide how to go about it.

First and most importantly I am not a major fan of the chrome rims which are on my 525i currently, although they are oem and nice I would prefer them in alloy which Ive seen on a couple 5's in my search throughout the gallery. I have the 128's 20" currently but would love to go a different route. SO WHAT DO I DO, do I have get em powder coated in black? Do I get them painted to the alloy color? Do I sell them and just buy new ones? Does anyone have an interesting trade?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated-Cost effective solutions will be praised as Ive seen this sight can make you go broke with the endless opportunities, thanks in advance for the help and please share all your ideas and what you would have done if you could do it over again.

Heres what Im working with
Attached Thumbnails Looking for some advice-img_0144.jpg   Looking for some advice-img_0138.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

First off, to the forum. If I was in your shoes, I would just get them powder coated to the OEM color. Powder coating should run you about $85-$120 per wheel depending on the color. ie. standard finish, metallic. If you can make a small stretch, then check out the classifieds here for some M5 take offs OEM 166's. I think it will give your car a more aggressive, sporty look. To offset the cost of the new to you wheels, just sell the 128's and you will come out with a nice set of wheels at a great price.

As for mods, I would look into getting some lighting mods from member Brabusw209amg. He's our "goto" guy for all of our lighting goods. ie. Angel Eyes, HID fog lights, LED side markers, rear license plate lights, and LED interior lights. Oh' don't forget the Euro Overlays to get rid of the amber reflectors in your headlights.

There are many options when it comes to body kits, but the most popular ones recently have been the M5Tech body kits from Trinity Autosports. These basically look like the M5's kit, but with integrated fog lights. PM member Nerweezy for more info regarding the kits.

GL on your hard choices, and enjoy your stay.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Sell the chrome rims if you can. otherwise you will have to strip the chrome off first to power-coat them properly.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i- Cold weather package, OEM 128's 20"

Stripping the chrome off first and then powder-coating the rims sounds pricey to the point that I might as well consider just purchasing new rims and selling the old ones. As well Im worried about the integrity of the rims having been chromed, if was then to chrome strip and then powder coat them. Does anyone know if this type of process can damage the rim? I live in washington where roads and weather aren't to kind. Any more ideas, much appreciated.