E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking for a new E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The old 545 is approaching the 4 year mark and am thinking maybe a new car. Decision is buy the extended warranty and keep the 545 or upgrade. Anyway, spent the morning at the dealer test driving cars and am leaning towards a new 550. Did drive a 535 with the new Sports auto tranny and what a sweet car! What has me leaning to the 550 is the aero kit and style 172 wheels on the sports package 550! There were a couple of 550's in carbon black and what a beautiful color.

A couple of questions for the group. General consensus on Comfort Access? No examples on the lot to test but is it worth the cost? And for those with the Carbon Black, how is the upkeep? I know the dark color, relative to my Silver Grey is higher maintanence, but how about the swirling? Others have reported issues with swirls in the dark paint colors from washing and waxing. The sales guys says it's less of an issue because of the metallic paint but I am not convinced. Who has had the Carbon Black for any extended period? How's it holding up?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='481226' date='Oct 13 2007, 05:56 PM
The old 545 is approaching the 4 year mark and am thinking maybe a new car. Decision is buy the extended warranty and keep the 545 or upgrade. Anyway, spent the morning at the dealer test driving cars and am leaning towards a new 550. Did drive a 535 with the new Sports auto tranny and what a sweet car! What has me leaning to the 550 is the aero kit and style 172 wheels on the sports package 550! There were a couple of 550's in carbon black and what a beautiful color.

A couple of questions for the group. General consensus on Comfort Access? No examples on the lot to test but is it worth the cost? And for those with the Carbon Black, how is the upkeep? I know the dark color, relative to my Silver Grey is higher maintanence, but how about the swirling? Others have reported issues with swirls in the dark paint colors from washing and waxing. The sales guys says it's less of an issue because of the metallic paint but I am not convinced. Who has had the Carbon Black for any extended period? How's it holding up?
I had comfort access and I recommend it. It really should be standard (on the 550 at least) but even as an option I think it's worth having. It's not the gimmick it's made out to be, the ability to keep the key in your pocket but still be able to start the car (and lock and unlock it) is well worth it. You just walk up, pull the handle and car unlocks. Sit in, press start and you're off. As I said, it really should be standard, but it's a worthwhile option.

As for the car - 550 in a heartbeat. I think it's well worth the premium over the 535. Faster, more exclusive and with the ZSP it looks awesome.

Carbon black - beautiful color, but it will require maintenance. I had Monaco Blue, which I loved, but it used to show swirls no matter how hard I tried to avoid them!

Either way - good luck with the search and keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya get comfort access its worth it.

As for upkeep for Carbon Black... the sales guy is right... since its a metallic paint it wont show swirl marks as easily... its harder to upkeep than silver gray of course but not as bad as carbon back. its "do able"
Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Comfort Access is awesome and well worth the money. I am quite happy with my 550 Sport in Carbon Black. I get my car hand washed once a week and its looks fine between washes. There are some swirl marks but I do not find them noticeable or objectionable.

I am alarmed by the poor gas mileage that I am getting, 13.6 mpg with both highway and city driving. In comparison my 04 545 got 16.7 mpg. With the sport auto tranny, I am probably hot rodding a bit more.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

My car is black sapphire metallic and I do not have any problem with swirls. I always wash my car by hand and I use Zymol wax. The Zymol wax is applied in straight-line motions versus circular motions. My previous BMW was Titanium Silver. The one thing about my black car is that it shows the dirt a lot easier than my silver car did. But is sure looks great when it is clean!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Comfort Access is a must. Carbon Black would've been my first choice if it was available here in the States at the time. I use Griot's Spray-On Wax as I dry the car every time I hand wash it (no automatic car washes for me). No problems with swirl marks. I would definitely get the LCI 550i now that it's available in Carbon Black and also opt for the Sport Package now that it includes the M kit, comfort seats, and 19" rims. I'd probably swap the 172's for 166's though. Oh and the 6MT now comes with a short shifter. I should've waited.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

About Comfort Access.

The justification for CA is really quite simple. Without CA, the new fob/start button system is a bit silly and requires extra unnecessary steps compared to the prior key setup.

It only makes sense WITH CA.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by swajames' post='481232' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:17 PM
I had comfort access and I recommend it. It really should be standard (on the 550 at least) but even as an option I think it's worth having. It's not the gimmick it's made out to be, the ability to keep the key in your pocket but still be able to start the car (and lock and unlock it) is well worth it. You just walk up, pull the handle and car unlocks. Sit in, press start and you're off. As I said, it really should be standard, but it's a worthwhile option.

As for the car - 550 in a heartbeat. I think it's well worth the premium over the 535. Faster, more exclusive and with the ZSP it looks awesome.

Carbon black - beautiful color, but it will require maintenance. I had Monaco Blue, which I loved, but it used to show swirls no matter how hard I tried to avoid them!

Either way - good luck with the search and keep us posted.

swajames - sorry to hear the Monaco Blue met. does show swirl marks...was hoping not and ordered it instead of the black for that very reason. Still, I would imagine it won't be as obvious on the MBM vs the balck?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='481391' date='Oct 14 2007, 09:09 AM
swajames - sorry to hear the Monaco Blue met. does show swirl marks...was hoping not and ordered it instead of the black for that very reason. Still, I would imagine it won't be as obvious on the MBM vs the balck?
It's a beautiful color, you'll love it, though on mine it did show some swirl marks (I'm pretty sensitive to swirl marks, others may not have been as bothered). I came out of a silver gray 545 which was just the easiest color to maintain, it never looked dirty and it hid any swirl marks well. Hopefully you'll have more success than me at keeping the swirls away on the Monaco Blue, but either way you chose a great color. In bright sunlight it's just stunningly beautiful.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

550 all the way ! They are brilliant right off the shelf,no need for power mods,the MSport package is a real upgrade from the sport package, functionally and aesthetically.
Keep us posted

Cheers

Quick Reply: Looking for a new E60