E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking to buy a 2004 545i. What should I be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 98 318ti
Default Looking to buy a 2004 545i. What should I be looking for?

Hey guys,
So a cars popped up on Kijiji and I've taken interest, Its a 2004 545i with a 6speed. The car is fully loaded and my only concern at the moment is high kilometers(208k). So my question is what should I be looking for? Is there any problems I should expect with an early model e60? The owner is asking 8500 and I need to know what to look for to help me haggle.
Thanks,
David
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by David19
Hey guys,
So a cars popped up on Kijiji and I've taken interest, Its a 2004 545i with a 6speed. The car is fully loaded and my only concern at the moment is high kilometers(208k). So my question is what should I be looking for? Is there any problems I should expect with an early model e60? The owner is asking 8500 and I need to know what to look for to help me haggle.
Thanks,
David
First ask the owner for his service history. Specifically fluids. How often has he changed the trany ,oil , coolant , hydraulic . brake , and rear end gear oil. This will give u an idea how well he maintained the car a nd also what needs to be done

Second .. Have all the recalls been addressed . They should have if he takes good care of it.
Third ..... Ask if the coolant pipe has been replaced .
Fourth. .. Ask if the alternator bracket gasket has been done. These are the two big ones and most important to know a out.
Check for leaks on the valve covers a nd front timming covers . Those leaks are not as critical as the other two but can give u alittle leverage if they are leaking.
Ask if the transmiission has had any software updates.
Ask if the modules inthe trunk have been relocted to the side panels. Water can get in there from clogged sunroof drains and also make sure that all six drains flow water out.

Hope this info helps u on your purchase. A well maintained 545 is an awesome machine. Will for sure meet ur driving pleasures.. Good luck
Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by H F
First ask the owner for his service history. Specifically fluids. How often has he changed the trany ,oil , coolant , hydraulic . brake , and rear end gear oil. This will give u an idea how well he maintained the car a nd also what needs to be done

Second .. Have all the recalls been addressed . They should have if he takes good care of it.
Third ..... Ask if the coolant pipe has been replaced .
Fourth. .. Ask if the alternator bracket gasket has been done. These are the two big ones and most important to know a out.
Check for leaks on the valve covers a nd front timming covers . Those leaks are not as critical as the other two but can give u alittle leverage if they are leaking.
Ask if the transmiission has had any software updates.
Ask if the modules inthe trunk have been relocted to the side panels. Water can get in there from clogged sunroof drains and also make sure that all six drains flow water out.

Hope this info helps u on your purchase. A well maintained 545 is an awesome machine. Will for sure meet ur driving pleasures.. Good luck
I agree with the above. I would add the suspension to the list and cooling components such as the expansion tank, radiator, hoses, thermostat, and water pump. I had 2 big coolant leaks. One was vent hoses form the heads to the tank, and the other was the tank. The plastic was so brittle. I replaced the parts before it was catastrophic and left me stranded. Front arms/ball-joints do go out especially at higher mileage. I bought mine well maintained (trans, coolant pipe, timing cover seals, valve cover gaskets ect. all done) and had front bushings go in the first month. I replaced everything in the front end...tie rods, wishbones, tension arms, and sway bar end links. Other than that the secondary air system can plague these cars. I cleaned the head passages out (with the engine in) and it was a good 6hrs and a pain in the ass using an air compressor and a brush. The last owner replaced the pump a year back. My car is now running flawless for the last 4k miles. Rides like new.

Good Luck with your search.

Last edited by svre46; 10-10-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by svre46
I agree with the above. I would add the suspension to the list and cooling components such as the expansion tank, radiator, hoses, thermostat, and water pump. I had 2 big coolant leaks. One was vent hoses form the heads to the tank, and the other was the tank. The plastic was so brittle. I replaced the parts before it was catastrophic and left me stranded. Front arms/ball-joints do go out especially at higher mileage. I bought mine well maintained (trans, coolant pipe, timing cover seals, valve cover gaskets ect. all done) and had front bushings go in the first month. I replaced everything in the front end...tie rods, wishbones, tension arms, and sway bar end links. Other than that the secondary air system can plague these cars. I cleaned the head passages out (with the engine in) and it was a good 6hrs and a pain in the ass using an air compressor and a brush. The last owner replaced the pump a year back. My car is now running flawless for the last 4k miles. Rides like new.

Good Luck with your search.
You have pics of the secondary air passages cleaning u did ?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by H F
You have pics of the secondary air passages cleaning u did ?
No pics. I can give some tips. (sorry to thread jack but OP this is something you may face on day)

After the intake manifold is off remove both secondary air check valves on the rear of the heads. I then took a can of carb cleaner and filled the passenger side first. My passenger side was clear and the fluid was able to drain right into the exhaust through the head passage(s) very easily. The driver's was clogged (and I was getting the low flow code on this side). I let it sit maybe 10 minutes. It seeped down a tad. I took 100psi of air and blasted the driver side passages. I tried to use a brush but it was hard to fish. The main thing is you need to find a way to seal your air line against the tube that goes into the head. I used a rubber stopper and electrical tape on the end of my air hose nozzle. I held it against the valve mount as tight as I could and after about 10-20 100psi bursts air flowed freely. (used about 2-3 cans of carb cleaner during this time also). When that was done I reassembled everything. Car smoked quite a bit. (I waited a while to run it so that some of the cleaner could dry up. I would hate to hydrolock an engine). After this I cleared the CEL and it has not come back.

Here is a DIY on removing the intake manifold. It is for a 6er but same process.
I am not responsible for anyone damaging their car. This procedure happened to work for me.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...3&d=1299748784

This will help you understand what I was cleaning.

Last edited by svre46; 10-10-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

A warranty ASAP!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Originally Posted by David19
Hey guys,
Thanks,
David
Stay away from that car.... let it go.