E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking at a 2010 535i, opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i. MTech Sports pkg,Cobb Accessport

Unless one knows for certain with regards to the quality of BMW parts one should not comment on it. I have been fortunate enough to visit the BMW factory in Bavaria and the level of pride, workmanship and attention to every conceivable detail that goes into the manufacturing process is unparalleled. Lets not even mention the dedication the workers have in building their product. That being said it would be reasonable to conclude that with such pride behind their products, they would carefully select parts that have quality without being cost prohibitive. Lastly factor in how aggressively we drive our BMWs compared to the afore-mentioned Cavaliar and we should have an incline to why the parts fail at high miles.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kchouston
Unless one knows for certain with regards to the quality of BMW parts one should not comment on it. I have been fortunate enough to visit the BMW factory in Bavaria and the level of pride, workmanship and attention to every conceivable detail that goes into the manufacturing process is unparalleled. Lets not even mention the dedication the workers have in building their product. That being said it would be reasonable to conclude that with such pride behind their products, they would carefully select parts that have quality without being cost prohibitive. Lastly factor in how aggressively we drive our BMWs compared to the afore-mentioned Cavaliar and we should have an incline to why the parts fail at high miles.
So, just because you toured a factory and witnessed the so-called workmanship and pride of them building the cars, you have more knowledge about component quality? I doubt it. If they had such pride in their products, they would've addressed the issues in later production. They didn't. Absolutely, they can put together a fine car, but they are still using crap components...and its because of people like you making excuses that they will continue to get away with it. Thankfully the aftermarket provides much better components that addresses the shortfalls. A prime example of such mentality is your last comment thinking aggressive driving wears the components out faster. Grandma driving the same 5 series will still have to replace valves stem seals, control arm bushings, and that coolant reservoir regardless. Hey, I love my car very much,but it ain't an exotic...the crap we have to replace wouldn't be unheard of on a Ferrari...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

There are a ton of reasons why parts fail and believe me the factory does hear about these warranty failures. Warranty is tracked and corrective action measures have to be put in place. They are not using crap components like you say. And for not addressing, well you don't know for you that they didn't. You only know that you had a problem. E.G my 08 535 just hit 89K and I've had non of these issues that you mention. Now I have had some reasons to take it in for service, such as, the amazing HPFP, sensor and a water pump. Thats been the extent of my repair issues. With this mileage, I'd say thats not too bad. I've had much worse and they were not BMW's. I've heard of many people buying a car in general and the day they leave the dealer the problems begin and never stop. It can happen with any brand.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 440i Xdrive, carbon black, oyster Dakota, M sport, cold wx, premium pkg, Step, adaptive LED, sat radio,
Model Year: 2018
Engine: B58

Last October I found the 2010 535i X-Drive for which I had been searching for 3 months. While doing the purchase I noted that the service record showed the HPFP had been replaced. The car had 30,000 miles on it. Six weeks later, 3 injectors were replaced (33,000 miles). BMW covered the tow and the service. I would think that at 70,000 most of the "standard" failures of that engine would have been addressed. FWIW, our 2005 530i is still going strong at 110,000 with no significant failures. She was stopped recently by a failed intake camshaft sensor. We killed her a couple of weeks ago by leaving the trunk open and rain got in. This is a potential problem with all of this generation as there is a vulnerable electronic module in the bottom of the trunk. When fixing us the BMW service relocated the replacement module. (There must be a kit for this). I love the 535.