E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking at a 2010 535i, opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default Looking at a 2010 535i, opinions.

Hey everyone, I joined a few days ago as I had found a 2005 545i with 92k miles that I was going to pick up from a Dodge dealership. On my second test drive I took the car over to a nearby BMW dealer where they had recently done a maitnance inspection and oil change. I had them do a key check and lo and behold, the dealer recommended $4500 in service that the Dodge dealer didnt mention. Thrush bushing, trans pan, and some seals. Typical stuff that ive read about for days before deciding to roll the dice and buy the car. I cant say how glad I am that I went and made sure everything was okay with the car before purchasing.

Well I turned down the 545i and now im looking at 2010 545i with 67k miles. Im wondering if these newer cars still suffer from the problems that the older e60's did or has most of them been hammered out by now?

Last edited by itsstock02; 07-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as suspension parts and transmission pan, the 2010 will have the same issues in time. Since it's at 67K already (wow), you might be due for those items already. If you were to get the 545, you would be looking at valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets, possible coolant transfer pipe, and valve stem seal replacements in due time. With the 535, you run the risk of HPFP fuel pump replacements, injector replacements, possible wastegate/turbo issues, and carbon buildup in the intake, in addition to the aforementioned suspension and transmission issues. I'd get the 2010 and a strong warranty to beyond 100K if possible....
Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

That's honestly quite a lot of miles in such a short time span; that's nearly 18k miles a year, and that's far higher than even the national average.

As aforementioned, I'd look into possibly getting a warranty that extends beyond 100k miles as that's a lot of wear and tear so quickly. I personally doubt you will have major problems with the car, but you're approaching (mileage wise) the time to possibly start replacing some components to preserve the longevity of the vehicle.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I agree too, that's a lot of miles. But I would take into consideration the condition of the car, the overall price and the mileage that you will be putting on it. If you are someone who also put a lot of miles on, then I would be looking for something with lower miles. I believe the turbos and high pressure fuel pump have an extended warranty just not 100% sure on the 2010. Like previously mentioned a good warranty might be possible to slip in if possible. You mentioned 2010 545, I assume you me 535? There was no 545 in 2010
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Contributors

I would stay away from any V8 BMW engines, period.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

Originally Posted by ImTooLegendary
That's honestly quite a lot of miles in such a short time span; that's nearly 18k miles a year, and that's far higher than even the national average.
I put just about 25,000 on my 535i this year. I wish I only drove 18k. haha
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I would stay away from any V8 BMW engines, period.
In 10 years, between the V8 engines and the turbo engines, which do you think will still be running? All BMW engines require tons of maintenance, and probably unnecessarily so, if BMW would've used components other than those from the absolute lowest bidder...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

BMW doesn't use components of those from the absolute lowest bidders. Sure they are competative just as any other auto manufacturer is. They have certified suppliers and these are the ones that are chosen when a new project is started. They also utilize new suppliers in various forms such as complying with NAFTA, Minority suppliers and such. Bottom line is an assessment is done before the supplier is chosen and awarded the business. Yes, sometimes they may choose the lower cost supplier, but the supplier still must maintain the standard set by BMW when it comes to material and design. So a supplier could not substitute a GF33PU material for something that is of less structure for a cost savings without prior approval. In fact thay are only allowed to use the material from the approved source which prevents the supplier from securing it from another source even if it's identified as the same material.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Texas_Vol
I put just about 25,000 on my 535i this year. I wish I only drove 18k. haha
Hahaha, good lord. I live in Los Angeles and don't even drive anywhere near that amount of miles a year

I'm sure you're taking good care of her though.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
BMW doesn't use components of those from the absolute lowest bidders. Sure they are competative just as any other auto manufacturer is. They have certified suppliers and these are the ones that are chosen when a new project is started. They also utilize new suppliers in various forms such as complying with NAFTA, Minority suppliers and such. Bottom line is an assessment is done before the supplier is chosen and awarded the business. Yes, sometimes they may choose the lower cost supplier, but the supplier still must maintain the standard set by BMW when it comes to material and design. So a supplier could not substitute a GF33PU material for something that is of less structure for a cost savings without prior approval. In fact thay are only allowed to use the material from the approved source which prevents the supplier from securing it from another source even if it's identified as the same material.
Great explanation, but it still doesn't explain why my valve stem seals still wear out even though BMW has been fully aware of the problem since who knows how long, or why my coolant transfer pipe seals wear out despite BMW fully knowing of the problem. How about coolant overflow tanks blowing up on BMWs since the beginning of time, yet they STILL cannot design one thats as reliable as the one in a Chevy Cavalier? This either screams of cost cutting, poor engineering, or planned obsolesce to line dealer pockets. I know all manufacturers cut corners on components, but basic stuff like this shouldn't fail in a car as expensive as a BMW. OP, my apologies for digressing...

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2010 535i, opinions.