E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Long drive with Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

You don't need Logic 7 but you do want to have it pre-wired at the factory so the antenna is in the sharkfin. Otherwise the dealer can install it, but I've heard they need to put the antenna on the trunk.
Thanks for the information Wolverine.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributors

I paid the extra $75 to have pre-wired for satelite. I dont have nav. So, my question is. What do I need to have SIRIS service in my car?

Do i need to wire anything or just call Siris and have my service activated?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:21 AM
I paid the extra $75 to have pre-wired for satelite. I dont have nav. So, my question is. What do I need to have SIRIS service in my car?

Do i need to wire anything or just call Siris and have my service activated?
You'll need to get the actual radio, and have it installed by the dealer (in the trunk). They charged me $595 for the radio and install. You should also be able to get the first 14 months of service for free. Here's one of the articles:

NEW YORK, April 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio , known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium audio entertainment to cars and homes across the country, today announced that SIRIUS Satellite Radio will be available this month as a factory installed option and a dealer-installed accessory on the 2004 7 Series Sedans at BMW centers across the country. SIRIUS Satellite Radio is currently available on select 2004 BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, M3, X3, and X5 models.

SIRIUS, BMW's exclusive satellite radio provider, can be purchased as a factory option for only $595.00. The price includes a one-year pre-paid subscription, plus two bonus months of free SIRIUS service and free activation. BMW will also offer SIRIUS as a dealer-installed accessory.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My E60 5 Series came with Satellite Radio Preparation when I purchased it in November 2003. The dealer installed the Sirius satellite radio module in June 2004.

Having Sirius integrated into the sound system on iDrive is wonderful. IMHO, Sirius is well worth the cost. The reception is excellent, and the more than 160 channels or "streams" offer a great variety of music and news. I especially like to listen to the two National Public Radio streams and to BBC World Service streams.

If your BMW has Satellite Radio Preparation, the dealer can install Sirius. Expect to pay around $600 for the Sirius module, plus labor for the installation.

For older BMWs Sirius can be added with a plug and play receiver and auto dock/antenna that can be purchased at Sirius' website or at various electronics stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City. The receiver fits into a dock that can be attached to the instrument panel or console. It has an FM transmitter that broadcasts the signal to one of four preset FM stations. With an available home dock/antenna hooked up to a home stereo system or Bose radio, the receiver can be removed from the car, allowing listeners to have Sirius both in the car and at home. This advantage offers some consolation for not having Sirius integrated into the car sound system.

As far as I know, Sirius is currently available only in the continental US. Sirius says it's working to bring its service to Canada. Hopefully, Sirius or a similar satellite radio service will be offered in Europe soon.