E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Long crank when starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed starting about a week or two ago when I go to turn my car on in the mornings it will crank for 10secs or sometimes even longer before it starts. I usually have to just hit the button to shut it off and try again, sometimes it takes up to 3-4 tries before it starts properly. Other times it will start perfectly without long cranks, but it seems to happen more often when I'm not driving the vehicle for a long period of time say 8+ hours. Does this sound like a HPFP issue or a battery issue? Kind of clueless at the moment but I decided to finally contact BMW on monday and take the car in to see the issue is. Anyone ever had this issue in the past with their e60?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

sorry man, but this sounds like an hpfp problem...

http://forums.5serie...1&#entry1078874
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPFP.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

If it cranks, good chance that battery is fine. Not turning over sounds more like a fuel issue, thus HPFP
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

HPFP, just take it to the dealer for warranty repair
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

on a side note, I think my hpfp is going out as well..

this past sunday I started the car in the AM...rough idle and reduced power (1/2 engine light). let the car sit for 10 minutes, no more codes...

this AM, no code again, but rough idle...called my SA..appointment set for tomorrow...FML
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

If you are not getting a "engine malfunction, reduced power" error on the idrive, usually the "long crank" is the first indicator of a HPFP getting ready to go bad or an injector that has gone bad.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

So I finally took the car in this morning to get serviced because of the long cranks, originally the service advisor suggested it may be a bad battery or something electrical. So after about 6 hours around 2pm he calls me and lets me know the problem is the HPFP... go figure lol. Anyway when I asked him are they going to replace the pump or repair it he said no, they are going to reprogram it because it was spitting fuel back into the fuel tank after I turned the car off and that was causing the long cranks. So "reprogramming" is what they shall do, we'll see if it will fix the problem. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
So I finally took the car in this morning to get serviced because of the long cranks, originally the service advisor suggested it may be a bad battery or something electrical. So after about 6 hours around 2pm he calls me and lets me know the problem is the HPFP... go figure lol. Anyway when I asked him are they going to replace the pump or repair it he said no, they are going to reprogram it because it was spitting fuel back into the fuel tank after I turned the car off and that was causing the long cranks. So "reprogramming" is what they shall do, we'll see if it will fix the problem. I'll keep you guys posted.
reprogramming first is SOP..,then they'll check the injectors, and then they'll hopefully replace the hpfp...

the link above regarding the HPFP faq thread also lists the SIB's and which order techs are to proceed in diagnosing and fixing the hpfp problem...there are a few steps before outright replacing it. of course this is dependent on your relationship with your SA and dealership...sometimes they'll replace it from the start and other times they'll go thru this progression listed in the SIB's. Regardless, this is their first attempt at fixing your problem, 2 more and it's buy back/lemon-ade time...good luck...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
reprogramming first is SOP..,then they'll check the injectors, and then they'll hopefully replace the hpfp...

the link above regarding the HPFP faq thread also lists the SIB's and which order techs are to proceed in diagnosing and fixing the hpfp problem...there are a few steps before outright replacing it. of course this is dependent on your relationship with your SA and dealership...sometimes they'll replace it from the start and other times they'll go thru this progression listed in the SIB's. Regardless, this is their first attempt at fixing your problem, 2 more and it's buy back/lemon-ade time...good luck...
If they lemon the car and do a buy back, how do they typically get the value of the car. Do they look on KBB or do they have their own value system?

Quick Reply: Long crank when starting engine