E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Long await for new car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my car at the end of February (535d M Sport for June production as it has the sports gearbox with paddles) and I'm still waiting for it now. They originally gave me a delivery date of 16th July 2007, and now they have told me it will be the 17th August!! The dealer said that it is taking so long because I ordered the individual headliner. What does anyone think about this? Should it be taking this long?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

I ordered a 535i with the Priority One anthracite headliner option for a week 25 build. The car was placed in transport status to the States earlier this week (although I can't determine which ship it's on to track it as the site that's supposed to give me that information doesn't recognize my partial VIN number). Did you order an individual/custom color other than anthracite?

Lou
Old 07-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='443340' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:25 PM
I ordered a 535i with the Priority One anthracite headliner option for a week 25 build. The car was placed in transport status to the States earlier this week (although I can't determine which ship it's on to track it as the site that's supposed to give me that information doesn't recognize my partial VIN number). Did you order an individual/custom color other than anthracite?

Lou
I ordered the antracite Alcantara headliner from the BMW individual range. Dealer told me that headliner is already done so I don't understand why I have to wait so long? (if to put the car together is takes 4 days).
Old 07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='443340' date='Jul 4 2007, 10:25 AM

Lou
Call your dealer, they should be able to tell you which ship you are on. My car was produced 6/19 and was in transit on the Perseus Leader (NYK line) on 6/27. I am having trouble tracking it however.

To the original poster... your car is taking way too long.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Seems like a long time if you ask me.

Whilst mine didn't have an individual headliner from deposit to delivery (including paddle shift) took 6 weeks!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

piotar, I don't think it should take that long unless there was an issue with the parts supply for the individual headliner. I don't know much about the dealership but is it possible that they pulled a fast one and bumped your car's production date for another customer? Maybe they screwed up someone else's order and quickly reconfigured your pending order to meet the specs of the other customer (which means they'd have to place a new order for you car?) I'm not saying for sure that this is true -- it's just a possibility...

BMWSTL, if you're using the Wallenius Wilhelmsen cargo tracking, I think it needs a complete VIN, not a partial one (someone else can confirm this since my car came over on a K-Line vessel...)
Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by italia550i' post='443354
BMWSTL, if you're using the Wallenius Wilhelmsen cargo tracking, I think it needs a complete VIN, not a partial one (someone else can confirm this since my car came over on a K-Line vessel...)
Good advice, thanks. I'll call the dealer and if needed BMWNA customer service and check. Perhaps I can get a full VIN number.

The car changed status Monday or Tuesday this week, so whatever ship it's on is just getting started. It would be nice if BMW flew ordered cars over (at no extra charge of course!).

Lou
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='443362' date='Jul 4 2007, 01:04 PM
Good advice, thanks. I'll call the dealer and if needed BMWNA customer service and check. Perhaps I can get a full VIN number.

The car changed status Monday or Tuesday this week, so whatever ship it's on is just getting started. It would be nice if BMW flew ordered cars over (at no extra charge of course!).

Lou
The Owner's Circle will give you the full VIN -- you'll need a production number to access the VIN information...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am going to the dealer on Saturday to check everything properly. I will definitely complain if the car is not going to be delivered on time, I think more then a month delay is way too long.
Do any of you have a similar situation and had to complain to the dealer and get some kind of compensation for this?

Peter
Old 07-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by piotar' post='443391' date='Jul 4 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am going to the dealer on Saturday to check everything properly. I will definitely complain if the car is not going to be delivered on time, I think more then a month delay is way too long.
Do any of you have a similar situation and had to complain to the dealer and get some kind of compensation for this?

Peter
I had a situation recently that has affected my delivery date, but it's not really comparable. I placed my order in May, specifically picking a July production slot for delivery in September and agreed with the dealer that I could reconfigure my options until the end of June. I called them a week before the end of June to discover that my car was already built and on its way to the dealer. I then proceeded to explain the situation which the dealer has done their best to rectify but this has meant them taking my car into stock and ordering me another 535d which wont be here until the end of September now.

As I understand it, dealers orders are placed on the BMW system when you sign up with a required delivery date. BMW will then pick orders from the system in the order that suits them to build the cars ensuring delivery dates are met. In my case, a car became available on the production line and they built it to my order. There doesn't appear to be a way for the order system to prevent orders being processed before they should be.

I know this is perhaps the opposite of your experience (in that your car has been delayed), but perhaps as someone else has mentioned, your order has been surpassed by a flurry of orders at your dealers that needed delivering before yours? In other words it's not strictly a case of who orders first gets their car when they want by the sounds of things???

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Quick Reply: Long await for new car