E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I took my second test drive in the 545 a couple of days ago. Again I was really impressed. This is one hell of a performance sedan. I am not enamored with either the exterior or the interior, but they are growing on me. I was particularly impressed with how well the sports seats fit my 6'4" frame. After the 30 minute drive I felt no hint of soreness in my lower back. The ride is flawless. The power is incredible. I just loved it.

When we returned to the dealership I tried out one of my CDs. In my current M3 I have an aftermarket stereo system using the stock headunit. I consists of 2 amps, a basebox in the trunk, and 2 sets of high quality component speakers. The sound qualitry is incredible. Well, I wasn't impressed with the Logic 7. In fact, I recall my previous 5 with the DSP sound, and in my memory it was tighter. I don't even think it sounded better than the stock stereo in my wife's Lexus.

So my questions are: 1. What is the stock sound system like? 2. How feasible would it be to put my system in a 545? My component speakers are 5". My client advisor said that it would not be a good idea to upgrade the 545's stereo, but I don't think he really knows much about this area.

Why all my concern? Well, my car is kind of my haven. I cannot listen to music the way I want to in my home without disturbing my wife or daughters. And this is when I have the most time to listen. My current audio system in my car is much better than what I have in my home.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Are you shure the car had Logic 7 ?

Most people/Dealers are scared to add anything to the audio system as all the onboard computer systems are linked and you could easily damage the whole system if you do something wrong
Old 02-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I think the Logic7 system sounds great. Sure, it's no $20,000 system, but it's by far the best factory installed system I've heard. The DSP and equalizer settings also help improve the sound, and I'd guess the demo you drove was set at default.

The issue with upgrading the E60 sound system (and most new high end cars) is the MOST system (a fiber optic network). The components are connected by a fiber LAN and if the BMW implementation of MOST is anything like Porsche's, you'll need to replace the entire system (and run all new wiring). And who knows if you'd ever get it to work with iDrive!

Here's info on MOST for those interested:
http://www.mostnet.de/technology/index.php
Old 02-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by darkside' date='Feb 27 2005, 09:09 AM
I took my second test drive in the 545 a couple of days ago. Again I was really impressed. This is one hell of a performance sedan. I am not enamored with either the exterior or the interior, but they are growing on me. I was particularly impressed with how well the sports seats fit my 6'4" frame. After the 30 minute drive I felt no hint of soreness in my lower back. The ride is flawless. The power is incredible. I just loved it.

When we returned to the dealership I tried out one of my CDs. In my current M3 I have an aftermarket stereo system using the stock headunit. I consists of 2 amps, a basebox in the trunk, and 2 sets of high quality component speakers. The sound qualitry is incredible. Well, I wasn't impressed with the Logic 7. In fact, I recall my previous 5 with the DSP sound, and in my memory it was tighter. I don't even think it sounded better than the stock stereo in my wife's Lexus.

So my questions are: 1. What is the stock sound system like? 2. How feasible would it be to put my system in a 545? My component speakers are 5". My client advisor said that it would not be a good idea to upgrade the 545's stereo, but I don't think he really knows much about this area.

Why all my concern? Well, my car is kind of my haven. I cannot listen to music the way I want to in my home without disturbing my wife or daughters. And this is when I have the most time to listen. My current audio system in my car is much better than what I have in my home.
[snapback]94890[/snapback]
Did you have it programed for the logic7 Everybody that I talked to likes it very much
vern
Old 02-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:26 AM
[quote name='darkside' date='Feb 27 2005, 09:09 AM']I took my second test drive in the 545 a couple of days ago. Again I was really impressed. This is one hell of a performance sedan. I am not enamored with either the exterior or the interior, but they are growing on me. I was particularly impressed with how well the sports seats fit my 6'4" frame. After the 30 minute drive I felt no hint of soreness in my lower back. The ride is flawless. The power is incredible. I just loved it.

[snapback]94890[/snapback]
Did you have it programed for the logic7 Everybody that I talked to likes it very much
vern
[snapback]94945[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would check that you did have the Logic 7. It's by far the best OEM system I've heard. Not as good as a $3,000 aftermarket, but you'll have a hard time matching it for the $1800 price.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I had a $16,000 competition stereo in my Lexus before I got my 545.

I won't dare install a stereo in the 545, because of the iDrive... so the Logic 7 had to suffice. That is not to say you can't install your own stereo. You certainly can, and many people of this forum have done so with success. But my feeling on the situation is this: The iDrive is a sensitive piece of computer gear that affect many aspects of the vehicle. If you add high-power amplifiers to your car, then you must sufficiently upgrade your power system to supply them. This means upgraded alternator, complete running of high gauge cables, adding capacitors, upgrading the battery, etc... When you do all of this, it often is still not enough. In my last car, I had 1800 watts between 2 amplifiers. I changed out my alternator for a larger one, switched my battery to an Optima yellowtop deep cycle, and added a 15-farad capacitor. Even with all that, the power system was taxed to the limits. Back to the iDrive now. If you have a power system that is running as hard as mine was... your voltage fluctuates frequently. Voltage fluctuating is not good for computer gear like the iDrive. So, I have decided not to risk messing up my 545 by changing the audio. I like having a car with a warranty. If you install a stereo, and your iDrive goes on the fritz.... BMW will not be sympathetic. Personally, I feel that risk is too high for me to handle.

I can survive with the Logic 7, but it is an absolute minimum. There is no chance I could even bear to listen to the standard audio in the E60.

The Logic 7 without the processing turned on sounds awful to me. The sound quality is noticably better than with the processing on, but the soundstage is terrible. Sounds like vocals come from behind the drivers seat. I attempted to tune the balance and fader to compensate, but it doesn't work well.

With the Logic 7 processing, the audio gets directed to the front speakers and center channel, which greatly improves the soundstage. The sound quality of the music is degraded by the L7 processing, but the soundstage improvement is enough to justify it for me.

My feeling is, since you had a nice stereo in your old car.... any factory audio system will be a letdown. But the L7 will be the only one the E60 offers that can come close to what you had.

If you want to alter the factory stereo, there are several members of the forum who may be of assistance to you. I'd contact them for questions and answers. As for me, I'm too chicken to try it...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I would verify that the L7 DSP was turned on in I-Drive and adjust the equalzer before dismissiong the system. Also veify that it was indeed on the car you tested.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 27 2005, 12:54 PM
I would verify that the L7 DSP was turned on in I-Drive and adjust the equalzer before dismissiong the system.? Also veify that it was indeed on the car you tested.
[snapback]94980[/snapback]
The EQ settings may indeed be an issue. Someone had played with mine and it sounded (predictably) terrible.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 27 2005, 08:39 PM
I had a $16,000 competition stereo in my Lexus before I got my 545.

I won't dare install a stereo in the 545, because of the iDrive...? so the Logic 7 had to suffice.? That is not to say you can't install your own stereo.? You certainly can, and many people of this forum have done so with success.? But my feeling on the situation is this:? The iDrive is a sensitive piece of computer gear that affect many aspects of the vehicle.? If you add high-power amplifiers to your car, then you must sufficiently upgrade your power system to supply them.? This means upgraded alternator, complete running of high gauge cables, adding capacitors, upgrading the battery, etc...? When you do all of this, it often is still not enough.? In my last car, I had 1800 watts between 2 amplifiers.? I changed out my alternator for a larger one, switched my battery to an Optima yellowtop deep cycle, and added a 15-farad capacitor.? Even with all that, the power system was taxed to the limits.? Back to the iDrive now.? If you have a power system that is running as hard as mine was...? your voltage fluctuates frequently.? Voltage fluctuating is not good for computer gear like the iDrive.? So, I have decided not to risk messing up my 545 by changing the audio.? I like having a car with a warranty.? If you install a stereo, and your iDrive goes on the fritz....? BMW will not be sympathetic.? Personally, I feel that risk is too high for me to handle.

I can survive with the Logic 7, but it is an absolute minimum.? There is no chance I could even bear to listen to the standard audio in the E60.

The Logic 7 without the processing turned on sounds awful to me.? The sound quality is noticably better than with the processing on, but the soundstage is terrible.? Sounds like vocals come from behind the drivers seat.? I attempted to tune the balance and fader to compensate, but it doesn't work well.

With the Logic 7 processing, the audio gets directed to the front speakers and center channel, which greatly improves the soundstage.? The sound quality of the music is degraded by the L7 processing, but the soundstage improvement is enough to justify it for me.

My feeling is, since you had a nice stereo in your old car....? any factory audio system will be a letdown.? But the L7 will be the only one the E60 offers that can come close to what you had.

If you want to alter the factory stereo, there are several members of the forum who may be of assistance to you.? I'd contact them for questions and answers.? As for me, I'm too chicken to try it...?
[snapback]94973[/snapback]
what setting did you have installed? Theater of concert hall? How do you think the setting are best?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 27 2005, 12:49 PM
I think the Logic7 system sounds great.? Sure, it's no $20,000 system, but it's by far the best factory installed system I've heard.? The DSP and equalizer settings also help improve the sound, and I'd guess the demo you drove was set at default.

The issue with upgrading the E60 sound system (and most new high end cars) is the MOST system (a fiber optic network).? The components are connected by a fiber LAN and if the BMW implementation of MOST is anything like Porsche's, you'll need to replace the entire system (and run all new wiring).? And who knows if you'd ever get it to work with iDrive!

Here's info on MOST for those interested:
http://www.mostnet.de/technology/index.php
[snapback]94937[/snapback]

Do you know if we less fortunate ones, (Jk LOL), without the logic 7, can we buy this for our e60's or not? If so, where? (I agree I hard the logic 7 and it is awesome)

Raymond Presley

Quick Reply: Logic 7 stereo