E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 Benefits

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Guys,

I've read about the benefits of Logic 7 providing 7.1 audio compared to the normal hifi upgrade which I'm presuming will simply provide more power at the extremes, but be basically in 2 channel stereo. As I won't be using any DVD Audio discs (in my autochanger) can anyone think of any other reason to go for the Logic 7 ?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Superb sound, even when listening to the Radio. Today I had a station on with some club music and it sounded as if I was listening to a CD.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Logic 7 is not a "7.1 channel" system. It is a system which has processing to direct certain sounds to certain speakers, but it cannot playback discrete recordings (such as DVD audio). 7.1 channels is a reference used for the newer Dolby Digital and/or DTS surround decoders found in high-end home theater components. It is also a recordng standard, where the sound is separated into 8 discrete channels which are directed to speakers independently. 7 main channels (Front left, Front right, Front center, Back left, Back right, Left-center rear, Rightcenter rear), and the .1 channel is a sub-output.

Normal CDs do not allow for 7.1 encoding. They are recorded in stereo (2 channel) Only DVD audio offers 5.1 or better recording, at this time. The BMW system does not allow for DVD audio playback currently. Only the Acura TL & RL have this feature, to the best of my knowledge.

The Logic 7 uses a processing more closely related to Dolby ProLogic surround, found on early home theater preamps from in the 1990s. Dolby ProLogic processing allowed a stereo audio source to be analysed and then direct certain sounds to certain speakers based on the frequency of the sound. ProLogic offered front left, front right, front center, and then monoaural rears. However, these were not discrete channels (ie sound completely separated between speakers).

Logic 7 uses something similar to this. It analyses the music and then directs certain frequency ranges to certain speakers.... for example, human vocal sounds fall in a midrange which Logic 7 directs to the center channel speaker. But, other sound which are in the same range as the human voice may also get directed to the center channel, even if that is not supposed to be the correct soundstage location. This is where the advantages of discrete audio become apparent. If you were listening to a recording and there was an instrument playing which would have been located on the left side of the soundstage, but that instrument was playing notes that happen to partially occupy the same range as the human voice.... those sounds would get directed to the center channel on the Logic 7.... but on a discrete recording and playback, the sound would come from the appropriate location because the recording had that data specified for a certain location.

But there are not many discrete channel recordings available today. So even if the system could play DVD audio, you would not have much use for it.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 13 2005, 09:49 AM
The Logic 7 is not a "7.1 channel" system.? It is a system which has processing to direct certain sounds to certain speakers, but it cannot playback discrete recordings (such as DVD audio).? 7.1 channels is a reference used for the newer Dolby Digital and/or DTS surround decoders found in high-end home theater components.? It is also a recordng standard, where the sound is separated into 8 discrete channels which are directed to speakers independently.? 7 main channels (Front left, Front right, Front center, Back left, Back right, Left-center rear, Rightcenter rear), and the .1 channel is a sub-output.

Normal CDs do not allow for 7.1 encoding.? They are recorded in stereo (2 channel)? Only DVD audio offers 5.1 or better recording, at this time.? The BMW system does not allow for DVD audio playback currently.? Only the Acura TL & RL have this feature, to the best of my knowledge.

The Logic 7 uses a processing more closely related to Dolby ProLogic surround, found on early home theater preamps from in the 1990s.? Dolby ProLogic processing allowed a stereo audio source to be analysed and then direct certain sounds to certain speakers based on the frequency of the sound.? ProLogic offered front left, front right, front center, and then monoaural rears.? However, these were not discrete channels (ie sound completely separated between speakers).

Logic 7 uses something similar to this.? It analyses the music and then directs certain frequency ranges to certain speakers....? for example, human vocal sounds fall in a midrange which Logic 7 directs to the center channel speaker.? But, other sound which are in the same range as the human voice may also get directed to the center channel, even if that is not supposed to be the correct soundstage location.? This is where the advantages of discrete audio become apparent.? If you were listening to a recording and there was an instrument playing which would have been located on the left side of the soundstage, but that instrument was playing notes that happen to partially occupy the same range as the human voice....? those sounds would get directed to the center channel on the Logic? 7....? ? but on a discrete recording and playback, the sound would come from the appropriate location because the recording had that data specified for a certain location.

But there are not many discrete channel recordings available today.? So even if the system could play DVD audio, you would not have much use for it.
[snapback]128019[/snapback]

Actually, SACD is multi-channel now as are many DTS and Dolby Digital audio-only recordings. Dolby Pro Logic II and IIx are most similar to Logic 7, and provide discrete surround decoding through steering logic. In fact, some video games and TV shows are recorded with "hints" that help PLII to do a more convincing job of steering the information. PLIIx adds support for more rear channels, but like so many "greater than 5.1" formats it isn't widely utilized. I've had all the above formats in my home for quite a few years now, when properly calibrated, it's amazing what can be done with plain old stereo. With that said, I doubt the enviroment in the car is taking full advantage of L7's capabilities.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Doesn't the Logic 7 technically considered to be a 7.2 channel system due to the two subwoofer outputs it has. Thus, giving it that .2

Correct me if i'm wrong please.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 13 2005, 04:23 PM
Doesn't the Logic 7 technically considered to be a 7.2 channel system due to the two subwoofer outputs it has.? Thus, giving it that .2

Correct me if i'm wrong please.
[snapback]128136[/snapback]

Generally, the effects channel is a single channel and does not carry any different information if multiple subs exist. Bass is non-directional so it doesn't make sense to do so. For this reason, multi-channel formats that contain an effects channel are only ".1" regardless of the number of subs being driven with the information.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 13 2005, 09:49 AM
The Logic 7 is not a "7.1 channel" system.? It is a system which has processing to direct certain sounds to certain speakers, but it cannot playback discrete recordings (such as DVD audio).? 7.1 channels is a reference used for the newer Dolby Digital and/or DTS surround decoders found in high-end home theater components.? It is also a recordng standard, where the sound is separated into 8 discrete channels which are directed to speakers independently.? 7 main channels (Front left, Front right, Front center, Back left, Back right, Left-center rear, Rightcenter rear), and the .1 channel is a sub-output.

Normal CDs do not allow for 7.1 encoding.? They are recorded in stereo (2 channel)? Only DVD audio offers 5.1 or better recording, at this time.? The BMW system does not allow for DVD audio playback currently.? Only the Acura TL & RL have this feature, to the best of my knowledge.

The Logic 7 uses a processing more closely related to Dolby ProLogic surround, found on early home theater preamps from in the 1990s.? Dolby ProLogic processing allowed a stereo audio source to be analysed and then direct certain sounds to certain speakers based on the frequency of the sound.? ProLogic offered front left, front right, front center, and then monoaural rears.? However, these were not discrete channels (ie sound completely separated between speakers).

Logic 7 uses something similar to this.? It analyses the music and then directs certain frequency ranges to certain speakers....? for example, human vocal sounds fall in a midrange which Logic 7 directs to the center channel speaker.? But, other sound which are in the same range as the human voice may also get directed to the center channel, even if that is not supposed to be the correct soundstage location.? This is where the advantages of discrete audio become apparent.? If you were listening to a recording and there was an instrument playing which would have been located on the left side of the soundstage, but that instrument was playing notes that happen to partially occupy the same range as the human voice....? those sounds would get directed to the center channel on the Logic? 7....? ? but on a discrete recording and playback, the sound would come from the appropriate location because the recording had that data specified for a certain location.

But there are not many discrete channel recordings available today.? So even if the system could play DVD audio, you would not have much use for it.
[snapback]128019[/snapback]
Hmm, wish I'd got L7 now.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Merv, did you get the hi-fi upgrade or do you just have the standard fitting ?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I'll give you my non-technical answer--it sounds fantastic--best factory installed car stereo I've heard.

Here'a a doc describing the system (compliments of Iceman)--it's described as a 7.2 system.

Logic7.pdf
Old 05-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Logic 7 Rocks Its The Best Stock System That I have Ever Heard

Quick Reply: Logic 7 Benefits