E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Locked out with engine running!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

I have my locks set to lock after setting off. Today when 400 km away from home I stopped in a side street to pull out an atlas from the trunk. I hit the open doors button on the dash to open the trunk, left the engine running and got out, closed the door and walked to the trunk. I was surprised to find it locked and when I walked back to the drivers door it was locked too... My wallet, cell phone, cards, money, etc. were all locked in the car which was happily idling away with its lights on completely locked in a seedy neighbourghood in Gdansk. I couldn't really go look for help for fear that someone would just smash the window get in and drive off with the car, its papers and all my ID, drivers licencse, documents and money. I then thought I'll smash the window to get in and get it replaced at the local dealer. At my first, unsuccesful, attempt with a rock a woman appeared in a window nearby and after an exchange of words offered use of her phone. I called my office and got the telephone number of the local BMW dealer. The dealer's service dept awas clueless and helpless and suggested I smash the window. They had no windows for the E60 in stock and could get them Monday at the earliest (Thursday and Friday are bank holiday in Poland). I then managed to call my leasing company who said stay put and wait for help. Two phone calls later and within an hour they sent round a guy with some plastic wedges, a little thick rubber inflatable bag and a long hooked wire. He managed to prise the top of the door away, get the wire in and pull the door handle from the inside in 2 minutes. He then shook my hand said good luck and drove off... The woman with the phone got cash and a BMW Sauber/Kubica autograph cap for her kid.

Moral:
Don't close the door with the engine running and keys inside. I've done it a number of times and it was always fine as it's only supposed to lock after you start driving. This time it chose to close earlier... I figure pressing the dash button earlier may have something to do it? I'm certianly not going to experiment again...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Ya I have sure done some stupid things with my e60. Especially when I first got it and i have comfort access or whatever where you dont need the key so I always throw it on the passenger seat and hit start. Well like the first day I had this I was in my own good neighborhood luckily crime is low but I parked, got out and went into barnes and noble-came back out and the care was sitting there still running! I was like WTF did I just do-I had my keys in hand so got in no problem obviously but stupid stupid.

And i have had incidents like you when I look back and see I have closed the door and I have locks on autolock but I have always been able to open the door with key or not if the key is inside the car I have had no probs if the car was on-since I have done what you did as well! glad things worked out and you can laugh and post about it
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='432262' date='Jun 5 2007, 11:44 PM
Two phone calls later and within an hour they sent round a guy with some plastic wedges, a little thick rubber inflatable bag and a long hooked wire. He managed to prise the top of the door away, get the wire in and pull the door handle from the inside in 2 minutes.
Instead of pulling the handle he could have also pushed the button to open the doors, but then he needs a very long wire. We allways cary a variety of wires on our tow trucks here for such circumstances.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This happened to me once -- details are in my multiple posts in the following thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12375
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='432262' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:44 PM
I have my locks set to lock after setting off. Today when 400 km away from home I stopped in a side street to pull out an atlas from the trunk. I hit the open doors button on the dash to open the trunk, left the engine running and got out, closed the door and walked to the trunk. I was surprised to find it locked and when I walked back to the drivers door it was locked too... My wallet, cell phone, cards, money, etc. were all locked in the car which was happily idling away with its lights on completely locked in a seedy neighbourghood in Gdansk. I couldn't really go look for help for fear that someone would just smash the window get in and drive off with the car, its papers and all my ID, drivers licencse, documents and money. I then thought I'll smash the window to get in and get it replaced at the local dealer. At my first, unsuccesful, attempt with a rock a woman appeared in a window nearby and after an exchange of words offered use of her phone. I called my office and got the telephone number of the local BMW dealer. The dealer's service dept awas clueless and helpless and suggested I smash the window. They had no windows for the E60 in stock and could get them Monday at the earliest (Thursday and Friday are bank holiday in Poland). I then managed to call my leasing company who said stay put and wait for help. Two phone calls later and within an hour they sent round a guy with some plastic wedges, a little thick rubber inflatable bag and a long hooked wire. He managed to prise the top of the door away, get the wire in and pull the door handle from the inside in 2 minutes. He then shook my hand said good luck and drove off... The woman with the phone got cash and a BMW Sauber/Kubica autograph cap for her kid.

Moral:
Don't close the door with the engine running and keys inside. I've done it a number of times and it was always fine as it's only supposed to lock after you start driving. This time it chose to close earlier... I figure pressing the dash button earlier may have something to do it? I'm certianly not going to experiment again...
From now on carry the phone number to road side assistance and also to the BMW assist (SOS button) 1-888-333-6118. If you call them and give them your information and vin, I believe they can send a signal to your car through satellite and the doors will open. I included the phone number but I don't know if it applies to only new cars and U.S. . I'm under the impression that it's included for 4 years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. Hope that helps..
Rick... Please let me know if anyone found this helpful..
Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

I always keep the plastic spare key in my wallet , which should be always in my pocket !
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Batman' post='432514' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:21 PM
I always keep the plastic spare key in my wallet , which should be always in my pocket !
+1 on this ... that little key is permanently in my wallet, which is always in my pocket.

I find it strange that the "auto lock" feature should work when the car is stationary and the key is in the ignition. Maybe something to get Service to look at? To my mind, the "lock if no door is opened" should only work if the key has not been placed in the ignition after the car has been unlocked, and the "lock when driving off" should work literally only after the car has started in motion.

MacSid
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='432405' date='Jun 6 2007, 05:49 AM
From now on carry the phone number to road side assistance and also to the BMW assist (SOS button) 1-888-333-6118. If you call them and give them your information and vin, I believe they can send a signal to your car through satellite and the doors will open. I included the phone number but I don't know if it applies to only new cars and U.S. . I'm under the impression that it's included for 4 years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. Hope that helps..
Is this really a feature in the US? How does the car receive the satellite signal? Isn't that a pretty expensive receiver? How is the info broadcast? As for the advice about the key in the wallet and the number in the cellphone - I usually have my wallet and phone in my jacket which is on the back seat. As for reaching the button on the dash - yes we thought about it but the wire was too short. He had no problems with the handle though.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='432262' date='Jun 5 2007, 04:44 PM

Moral:
I know with Onstar (GM's version of BMW assist) they can unlock your car remotely. I now wonder if BMW assist could do the same. Of course you would need to borrow someones cell phone and know the BMW assist phone number, but could they unlock it from a distance?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

+1

For 4 yrs/unlimited miles which previously it maybe only the 1st year and after that w/ additional cost and BMW assist may also ask the password you've specified.

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='432405' date='Jun 5 2007, 10:49 PM

Quick Reply: Locked out with engine running!!!!