5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Locked keys in boot, and that's not the half of it! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/locked-keys-boot-thats-not-half-100586/)

balbs 07-20-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by AchtungE60 (Post 1209850)
This absolutely does work. Perhaps you or your other end didn't do it right. It worked on my E60 several months back. I was about 80 miles from home and called to have the door open. Worked on the E39 too. X5 wasn't successful but that could be an issue with the remote. Sometimes It barely opens when it's 2 ft away. Let them laugh. What is so hard to understand that the remote is 315MHz and your phone is running off a frequency higher than that. I was using a GSM phone and that is 850MHz & 1900MHz.

I would like you to provide the make and model of both the transmitting and recieving cell phones and try to reproduce that.

porksoda 09-08-2010 07:11 PM

This absolutely does work. Perhaps you or your other end didn't do it right. It worked on my E60 several months back. I was about 80 miles from home and called to have the door open. Worked on the E39 too. X5 wasn't successful but that could be an issue with the remote. Sometimes It barely opens when it's 2 ft away. Let them laugh. What is so hard to understand that the remote is 315MHz and your phone is running off a frequency higher than that. I was using a GSM phone and that is 850MHz & 1900MHz.

no it wont work even if your gsm is 900/1900 or if your gsm is 850/2100 or if you are on a cordless or cdma or whatever.

On cell phones and land lines they compress audio thats audible to human ear and digitize and toss the rest out.. the ONLY way it would work would be if the fobs worked on sound waves it does not it works on RADIO waves.

Telephones are not raw lines that transmit everything... they are heavily filtered and augmented for human hearing only.

It is impossible that it worked... if you can show me some proof and show me how you got this miracle to happen i will gladly apologize.

turboawd 09-08-2010 09:28 PM

now you got me wondering how the guy opened your car. :think:
pm me the details :)

ponnu 09-09-2010 09:22 AM

To my limited knowledge as an electrical engineer, I believe its not possible. Since cell phones (no matter which ever frequency it operates - based on cell phone standards around the world). Since our E60's remote does not operate using audio waves (understand they are using radio waves) - Audio waves are transmitted through cell phones and not any radio waves from the caller..if that's possible then I will be able to browse internet using my cell phone calls asking my wife to call from home with a wireless router near by.. :rolleyes:

smurf520i 09-09-2010 10:27 AM

BMW Assistance in the UK seem to have advanced a lot in the recent years.
When my 2 year-old kid got locked-in and I called BMW assist, they came with a brick.
The guy did not have the heart to break the glass, there was risk that kid could be sprayed with glass.
I still have the scratches in a couple of the windows.

In the end he bended the upper edge of the driver door (where it meets the back door and the roof), used a pump to keep it open, used a thick wire to fish the key from the floor where my son had dropped it after clicking on the CLOSE button.
Still have the scratches where the wire met the door frame.

I am intrigued how he opened it for you.
Please PM me for future reference.

HarryTiffany 05-09-2019 05:59 AM

I think locksmith could be a better option for those locked key problems.

yelcab2 05-09-2019 09:25 AM

And this is the reason I always lock the car with the key, either turning the key in the lock, or holding in my had and pressing the fob as I walk away. No exceptions.

audiophool 05-12-2019 08:40 PM

8.5 year thread dredge FTMF win!

donpb 05-16-2019 08:08 PM

I did the same exact thing. Called AAA and a dude showed up and said he'd have it opened in 5 seconds. 1.5 hours later and he couldn't do jack. Then he wanted to drill a hole behind my plate and I said nope. Called another dude and he showed up and said he'll be in the trunk in 2 seconds. Umm didn't happen.

Ok then he gets this crazy adjustable key gadget thingy and to my amazement he successfully picked the trunk lock.

Well that was $175 but he told me that if AAA couldn't open it and someone else does, AAA will pay for it. I submitted a claim and got my $175 back. When I told that story to my indy dealer, he said BMW could have opened it remotely.