E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Locked keys in boot, and that's not the half of it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca
Use your cell phone to call someone with access to your second keyfob - home, wife/husband at work - and have them get the keyfob and press the release while you hold the phone near the lock. It should open, or so I've been told. I will try at home later tonight.
I can tell you now, it doesn't work! I tried it, AA man laughed at me and so did BMW tech when I told him.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Cool story bro

Especially love the ending.

" he opened my 2004 530d fully loaded for £60k "
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Use your cell phone to call someone with access to your second keyfob - home, wife/husband at work - and have them get the keyfob and press the release while you hold the phone near the lock. It should open, or so I've been told. I will try at home later tonight.
Don't waste your time on that. It doesn't work, its one of those urban legends.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I want to know how he opened it!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I want to know how he opened it!
Are you locked out?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Rudy
Another "solution" is to get Comfort Access (I know, I know, it doesn't help you out if you already have a car without it...) With CA, the trunk will pop back open if you close it with the keys inside. In other words, it won't let you lock them in the trunk at all.
Unless... you have your keys in a bag or briefcase. Car detected the keys in proximity to the trunk and opened it, then I tossed the briefcase in and closed the trunk, walked up to the drivers door, pulled handle... nothing. Only then did I realize I had my keys in the briefcase - oh crap! I guess the briefcase shielded the key enough to prevent it being detected in the trunk. Just to make the situation worse, I was parked 2 stories down in an underground parking lot - so no cell phone reception (at all).

I left the parkade and called BMW Assist. They were great and noted that their remote release had been known to work even where cell phones didn't, so they gave it a shot. Long story short, it took about 5 min for the car to respond, but to my relief I heard the "beep beep" and the car unlocked. I immediately popped the trunk, smacked myself in the head for being a dumba$$, and drove home.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

LOL! Mythbusters busted that
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by cavester
Are you locked out?

No, not yet... but if I say yes will you tell me?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
No, not yet... but if I say yes will you tell me?
No

When you see how it's done though, its like a flipping magic trick being revealed, you think to yourself..."is that it!".
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by cavester
I can tell you now, it doesn't work! I tried it, AA man laughed at me and so did BMW tech when I told him.

This absolutely does work. Perhaps you or your other end didn't do it right. It worked on my E60 several months back. I was about 80 miles from home and called to have the door open. Worked on the E39 too. X5 wasn't successful but that could be an issue with the remote. Sometimes It barely opens when it's 2 ft away. Let them laugh. What is so hard to understand that the remote is 315MHz and your phone is running off a frequency higher than that. I was using a GSM phone and that is 850MHz & 1900MHz.

Quick Reply: Locked keys in boot, and that's not the half of it!