5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Locked keys in boot, and that's not the half of it! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/locked-keys-boot-thats-not-half-100586/)

cavester 06-28-2010 01:07 AM

Hi,

Just thought I'd come on and post my experience of locking my keys in the boot 350 miles from home and how BMW Assist cane to the rescue!

Went to play golf 350 miles away. Gets to the course a bit early so thought I'd go check the place out. Locks car and off I go. Went back to the car and think to myself, I'll get my golf bag etc ready so opens the boot only using the key remote boot release. I began chatting to a guy next to me and whilst doing so think it would be a good idea to sort my pockets out and put all the stuff I'll not need on the course into my golf bag.

Here it is... The guy I was speaking to said goodbye and I noticed that I was still a little early so decided to place my bag back in the boot with the intention of coming back to collect just before Tee off. That was it, bag in boot and clunk. I immediately realised my error, I'd just locked my keys in the boot!

Now the fun begins... Calls the AA and they arrived in 20 mins. He could not open after spending 20 mins trying. Offered to call locksmith and I said don't bother I'll get the spare keys couriered down to my hotel by 9am in the morning. Calls the office and got the receptionist to send the spare key down next day before 9am delivery. Hires some clubs from the pro shop and went and played golf.

Next day waiting for keys during breakfast nothing had arrived by 9:30am. I called the courier company and they did not know where it was. To cut a long story short here I spent 2.5 hours on the phone to various courier partners to find out the key was amongst 6000 other parcels on the back of a 25ft truck at heathrow airport with no way of retrieval until delivery 2 days later!

At my wits end now, no one else to call, even tried my dealer who said your stuffed till Monday, no way to get into these cars. My car was out of warranty so he said BMW assist would not be able to help. I called them anyway and asked. The girl on the phone said it would be a £150 one off call out charge but spoke to the BMW tech and said that yes he should be able to open it without too much trouble. I paid the money and waited...

20 minutes later a silver M5 Tourer pulled into the car park with big yellow lights and all the BMW logo kit, it was like a bloomin F1 pace car! Lol. Anyway guy gets out and says sign this damage waver and I should have that open in a bit. After making sure entry did not involve a house brick I signed and watched.

I'm obviously not going to say how he dis it here but basically he opened my 2004 530d fully loaded for £60k in less than 10 seconds with a 20 pence piece of plastic heated on his M5 exaust! I was like WTF! At least I had my keys and car in one piece! :)

Looking on here a few have had this problem, all I can say is if you have no other option call BMW Assist. Brilliant!

sholaesq 06-28-2010 03:36 AM

but basically he opened my 2004 530d fully loaded for £60k in less than 10 seconds with a 20 pence piece of plastic heated on his M5 exaust! I was like WTF! At least I had my keys and car in one piece! :)
LOL!!! :lol:

robg520d 06-28-2010 03:55 AM

think u should get ur fobs reprogrammed, my boot only releases by keyfob once i've unlocked the car, thank god, or i'd be in the same boat, as i'm regularly emptying my pockets into my boot lol, if i'm weighed down with coins lol

cavester 06-28-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by robg520d (Post 1197977)
think u should get ur fobs reprogrammed, my boot only releases by keyfob once i've unlocked the car, thank god, or i'd be in the same boat, as i'm regularly emptying my pockets into my boot lol, if i'm weighed down with coins lol

If yours is a newer car then they have rectified this oversight by only allowing you to open the boot after unlocking all of the doors. My year you have the option to only open the boot on the fob.

I asked the tech how many times has he been calle dout for this and he said about 2 per day!... which is why they changed the design.

Allen 06-28-2010 03:59 AM

Is there no way that BMW assist can remotely unlock these doors...I really thought there was...???

cavester 06-28-2010 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Allen (Post 1197980)
Is there no way that BMW assist can remotely unlock these doors...I really thought there was...???

Only if you have that option fitted in the newer models. I asked the same question to the tech he said... "and if it works as it doesn't always!"

Rudy 06-28-2010 04:25 AM

Another "solution" is to get Comfort Access (I know, I know, it doesn't help you out if you already have a car without it...) With CA, the trunk will pop back open if you close it with the keys inside. In other words, it won't let you lock them in the trunk at all. :cool:

protams 06-28-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by cavester (Post 1197947)
I'm obviously not going to say how he dis it here but basically he opened my 2004 530d fully loaded for £60k in less than 10 seconds with a 20 pence piece of plastic heated on his M5 exaust! I was like WTF!

I think you should say :D

melimel 06-28-2010 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 1197990)
Another "solution" is to get Comfort Access (I know, I know, it doesn't help you out if you already have a car without it...) With CA, the trunk will pop back open if you close it with the keys inside. In other words, it won't let you lock them in the trunk at all. :cool:

ive done that... :rolleyes:

santiago fonseca 06-28-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by protams (Post 1197996)
I think you should say :D

Use your cell phone to call someone with access to your second keyfob - home, wife/husband at work - and have them get the keyfob and press the release while you hold the phone near the lock. It should open, or so I've been told. I will try at home later tonight.