E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loaner car process

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my car to the stealer to have them check my tranny in a few weeks. I already requested a loaner with my service appointment. So what's the process when taking out a loaner, do they need a credit card for a security deposit? Also, how do I get a specific car, or is it whatever they have available?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
I'm taking my car to the stealer to have them check my tranny in a few weeks. I already requested a loaner with my service appointment. So what's the process when taking out a loaner, do they need a credit card for a security deposit? Also, how do I get a specific car, or is it whatever they have available?
I never had to provide a credit card or anything like that, but I am sure not all Stealerships operate the same way. As to your request for a specific car, well, that too varies quite a bit. Best option for you is what I think you already have done. Is to forecast out in advance and make the request for the car that you want. Perhaps they will have this in their loaner inventory.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

It depends on the dealership:

Mine requires a CC for a security hold while U drive the loaner car. I usually have to schedule a loaner about 2 weeks out.

I always ended up with an X3 or 328i for a loaner. Haven't seen 5er or 7er loaners - in fact I watched one guy drop off his 7er and got a Mini Cooper for a loaner. Again, this is at the dealership I got my car serviced at.

One thing I will say I liked was that my loaner didn't have any mileage restrictions and there was no additional paperwork if I had to keep the car longer than expected. Turn-in inspections were a breeze as long as there was no obvious damage. The MB dealership I used to service my wife's car SUCKED - 100 miles a day restriction and the white glove treatment upon return for a C class with almost no options....
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the replies. I made the earliest appointment they had(7am) in hopes of getting an 535i or 335i. Part of me wishes I would luck out and get an DCT M3 loaner... Yes, I know dream on!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Typically a credit card is required for red light cameras, parking tickets, electronic toll, etc, if you incur those charges during the use of a loaner. This practice varies from one BMW Center to another. They will also need a copy of the insurance card for the vehicle being serviced, while you are driving the loaner in its place.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'm in NNJ and the dealers never ask for a credit card. They do need your insurance info.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

In Ct they require my Credit card and insurance card... they say the credit card is security.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Mine requires insurance info only... And the loaners are either 328's or whatever Enterprise has in stock.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Here in LA;

CC
Security Deposit
Proof of Insurance
No Smoking in Car
No pets in Car
Same amount of Gas upon return
Cannot request specific car
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Same here; dealer never required a credit card although they did take a copy of my DL and insurance card. Of course that will vary from dealer to dealer. Every time I get a loaner, they always tell me it's just a matter of what they have available. I've had a 328 twice and a 1 series (not sure which model but it was surprisingly fun to drive)

However, my girlfriend's father who owns a newer 7 series has gotten a F10 and a E93 (yes convertible)! IMO, I think they are biased toward older gentlemen and those that have a long history of purchasing BMWs through their dealership. I can't blame them.

BTW, this was at Kuni BMW near Portland, OR

Quick Reply: Loaner car process