E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Little things

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a few months now. It's the little things.

- I now switch lanes faster just so I can use the triple clicker and feel like it's useful. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

- I left the gas cap loose the other day. My car displayed--in my HUD--a cartoon of my car with a dangling gas cap, an arrow pointing to it, and the text "please tighten gas cap". That's just cool for no reason.

- When I'm down to 31 miles or less the warning that any minute now I'll be stranded stays along the bottom of the iDrive and refuses to tell me any other information. The car is a total nag that way.

- My comfort seat has too many options. I played with the lumbar support and managed to give myself back pain for two days.

- Every once in a while I can get my iDrive to reboot. It's vaguely disconcerting.

- auto wipers are the the coolest thing.

- adaptive lights and adaptive steering are the coolest thing since auto wipers.

- I think I used to drive with my fog lights on all the time. I can't seem to do that anymore. I don't miss it but still.

- Bluetooth is the coolest toy ever and dammit if it doesn't give adaptive lights and steering a run for their money--I love my RAZR syncing with one of my macs (dual G5 with 8GB of RAM and two 23" cinema displays mounted on a pole above my desk) and my car.

- I like having a 6cd changer in the glove compartment + a single load one in the dash.

- iDrive. The skeptics are on crack. Easy to use, even the damn climate controls. It's the right thing. I'm a scientist so I must be right.

Peace.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by isbell' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:11 AM

- I now switch lanes faster just so I can use the triple clicker and feel like it's useful. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

- I left the gas cap loose the other day. My car displayed--in my HUD--a cartoon of my car with a dangling gas cap, an arrow pointing to it, and the text "please tighten gas cap". That's just cool for no reason.

- When I'm down to 31 miles or less the warning that any minute now I'll be stranded stays along the bottom of the iDrive and refuses to tell me any other information. The car is a total nag that way.

- My comfort seat has too many options. I played with the lumbar support and managed to give myself back pain for two days.

- Every once in a while I can get my iDrive to reboot. It's vaguely disconcerting.

- adaptive lights and adaptive steering are the coolest thing since auto wipers.

- I think I used to drive with my fog lights on all the time. I can't seem to do that anymore. I don't miss it but still.

- Bluetooth is the coolest toy ever and dammit if it doesn't give adaptive lights and steering a run for their money--I love my RAZR syncing with one of my macs (dual G5 with 8GB of RAM and two 23" cinema displays mounted on a pole above my desk) and my car.

- I like having a 6cd changer in the glove compartment + a single load one in the dash.

- iDrive. The skeptics are on crack.? Easy to use, even the damn climate controls.? It's the right thing. I'm a scientist so I must be right.

Peace.
[snapback]66985[/snapback]
My thoughts exactly! This car is awesome! Way to go Isbell
Old 12-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

like your computer configuration...

good and humorous writing too (for a scientist) <_<
Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Maybe you can write a scientific paper on the i-drive!
Do you give it a little extra gas sometimes just to "test" the handling?
Nice post. Humurous, too.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Dec 9 2004, 12:44 PM
Maybe you can write a scientific paper on the i-drive!
Do you give it a little extra gas sometimes just to "test" the handling?
Nice post. Humurous, too.
[snapback]67045[/snapback]
Re the low fuel warning, my pet annoyance as well. Not even the time. Maybe the NAV should go on auto-pilot to the nearest gas station.

And the auto wipers are the the coolest thing?
Not when they don't allow infinitely variable adjustment when the auto is off. There are occasions when is rain is falling lightly enough to warrant a sweep every 3-4 seconds yet the auto keeps them on permanently. However, I like the fact that they slow down a level when the car comes to a stand-still.

However, I do like the orange lights in the header that throw down an orange glow at night over the centre console and rear seats.

And the pseudo water temperature guage which changes the range of the rev warning area on the tachomater. Similiar concept to the speed setting indicator in the cruise control. Nice touch.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by isbell' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:11 AM

- iDrive. The skeptics are on crack.? Easy to use, even the damn climate controls.? It's the right thing. I'm a scientist so I must be right.

Peace.
[snapback]66985[/snapback]

Actually, just another little thing.
When using the iDrive controller, turning clockwise in menus moves the cursor on the screen down. And turning anti-clockwise, moves the curser up.
Except on the menu where you select the centre vent temperature. It's the only menu I've noticed that's opposite. Strange.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

[quote name='Guest' date='Dec 9 2004, 01:13 PM']
[quote name='isbell' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:11 AM']It's been a few months now. It's the little things.

Yeah - the little things are great. But, nothing beats an 8 cylinder engine.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by robg' date='Dec 9 2004, 07:18 PM
[quote name='isbell' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:11 AM']It's been a few months now. It's the little things.

[snapback]67059[/snapback]
Eh, M5 V10
Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Dec 9 2004, 01:20 PM
[quote name='robg' date='Dec 9 2004, 07:18 PM']

[snapback]67059[/snapback]
Eh, M5 V10
[snapback]67061[/snapback]
[/quote]

I stand corrected - I think. Never drove one. And good luck trying to get a "test drive" when they finally hit show rooms.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Dec 9 2004, 12:08 PM
I do? like the orange lights in the header that throw down an orange glow at night over the centre console and rear seats.

And the pseudo water temperature guage which changes the range of the rev warning area on the tachomater. Similiar concept to the speed setting indicator in the cruise control. Nice touch.
[snapback]67051[/snapback]
I agree the orange lights are cool. In the door pockets, too.

I would like it if BMW would create an iDrive data screen that shows digital readings on coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, rpms, and maybe amps or whatever. I agree the rotating rev warning lines are cool, but I would like to be able to see the actual temp. Just for fun, basically. My dad 1988 Toronado had an information line below the digital speedometer that could cycle between data like that. Fun.

Quick Reply: Little things