E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Little Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I have had an interesting week as my 2006 530i has been acting up with a seemingly false SES light warning (went off after a an AutoZone code check), a flat tire alert for tire puncture, and then a return of the SES light two days later.

The detail is on Friday of last week driving home my SES light illuminated. I then did a check and "All Systems OK", checked in iDrive and no service was due as well. My oil level data was not populated though, said something to the effect of "loading data" but I was 15 min into my drive home.

On Saunday I went to AutoZone so they could run a check to see if I was throwing any codes and see what the issue was. Well, no codes at all and the SES light promply goes out after checking. I figured this was one of those "regular check intervals" but my odometer is at 46k and some change so I would assume it would be at more of a milestone amount to trigger some diagnostic check. So I go back home and shortly thereafter I left again to go shopping with my wife, while on the highway my TPM light goes red and the iDrive is telling me to pull over as safely as possible for a flat tire. I pull over and no flat, reinitialize the TPM and I am on my way.

I did pull off and check the tire pressure, all tires were low from the factory setting and one was around 25 psi but nothing drastic. Then when I got the pressure where it needed to be I let the car sit idle and set the TPM to initalize again and sat waiting for 11 minutes for "initializing" until I gave up and drove off. Half way home I check in my iDrive and "TPM is active", so I think good times we are good.

Not so much, this morning I am on my way to work and here somes the SES light again after about 5 minutes of drive time. Same lack of oil level data but that was only shortly after begining my drive.

Only 2 things I have noticed lately that have been abnormal is that sometimes (happened this moring too) when starting the car there is a shreik from the front end but startup is quick/normal and when turning most times I hear a rattle in the center dash from a vent fan (I know it is a vent fan cause if I turn the AC system off there is no rattle). Other than this my car runs the same it always has, the only thing I know that I am not thrilled with and have talked to the dealer many times about is the rough idle I get alot of the time.

So anyone have any ideas? Sorry for the novel

Thanks in advance, I will look to make an appointment with the dealer but wanted to ask you all first. Thank you in advance!
Old 02-02-2010 | 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Quick update just left AutoZone and I am getting a Manufacturer Code 1153. Anyone know what that one is? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010 | 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Correction 1553
Old 02-02-2010 | 12:09 PM
Senior Members

OK the person at AutoZone was wrong, it is 1153 I think. They used an OBD II reader (rectangular plug) and there is no 1553 code for that tool.

Looks like it is complaining about the O2 sensor:
P1153
O2 Sensor Heater Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
Anyone have this before? Is it really the O2 sensor I should worry about or is this a signal of another problem?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010 | 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Here is a strange thing, I did the reset tranny trick and my light went out. I think this is a coincendence but worth mentioning.
Old 02-02-2010 | 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to keep posting but I want to keep info current (not bumping my thread).

Anyways. Anyone know if CPO covers o2 sensors and intake boots/hoses? Thanks!!!
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I don't know what an SES light is, but I do know that you're supposed to reset the TPM while driving and not while sitting in the driveway. Even doing that, chances are that it will appear frozen, but it really resets it. Just follow the instructions on the iDrive and when it instructs you to drive, just drive and change the menu to something else that way you don't obsess over it. G/L with the SES. Let us know what that is.
Old 02-03-2010 | 02:38 AM
Senior Members

SES is for Service Engine Soon light.

Thanks for the info on the TPM system, and I it did go active after driving so that makes sense!

My light has stayed off too after resetting the tranny, weird.....
Old 02-03-2010 | 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by SCardamon
SES is for Service Engine Soon light.

Thanks for the info on the TPM system, and I it did go active after driving so that makes sense!

My light has stayed off too after resetting the tranny, weird.....
The SES can be triggered by almost anything, including software glitches. Quick and easy thing to check is the gas cap, make sure it's tight and that it's not warped or anything.

CPO covers oxygen and just about any sensor on the car. G/L