E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Light Blue Smoke & Stutter on Cold Startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014 | 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.
Default Light Blue Smoke & Stutter on Cold Startup

Hi All,

It has been a good while since I have posted on here and wondering if some experts can help me diagnose some issues I am currently having with my car. This will be a longish post to ensure I pass on all related information.....

History.....
My car is a 2007 LCI e60 525d M-Sport(3.0 Diesel engine - 197ps). I have owned from brand new, current mileage is 115k miles. The car is immaculate (Swissvaxed) and has been 'over serviced' with oil changes at maximum intervals of 10k (often less) fuel filters & air filters at half the recommended intervals etc. etc. The car has always been run on Shell V Power Diesel with Millers ecomax also added. The car had a turbo overhaul approx. 10k miles ago, has an Ecotune DPF delete pipe (due to fault codes indicating a blockage), EGR delete, piper X panel filter and on a Maxi-tune map is running up to 260bhp, but with Eco-tune map running approx. 240bhp - which I typically use day to day. Over the past year or so it has had a new OEM Bosch MAF sensor (with adaptions reset) and new OEM Beru glow plugs x 6 (due to fault codes on 2). The car has also had 2 vortex filters fitted in past 12 months to rule these out - these were also changed at 30k intervals from new even though this has the latter 'empty ' vortex filter type fitted.

Current issues.....
On cold startup, and particularly when the temps are colder, it blows out a large puff of bluish smoke for 5-10 seconds, accompanied by lumpy tickover for similar 5-10 seconds. This quickly clears and it then runs 'perfectly' - pulls really well and is virtually faultless. The only other points I could raise are that there is a slight vibration felt when warm and held at exactly 1000rpm - anything above or below is perfect. This usually shows itself when trickling along in queuing traffic as it is a manual. Note it had a new OEM LUK clutch & dual mass flywheel at approx. 100k miles due to a release bearing issue at the time & thought it best changed whilst all stripped. Only other thing is that it does use a little oil - approx 0.5l in approx 3000 miles.

Diagnosis.....
There are currently no fault codes showing up using GT1 including no glow plug issues identified. Interestingly, it recently showed the glow plug light when pressing the starter button for a few seconds (although temps were nowhere near zero) - it proceeded to start perfectly, no smoke or lumpyness.

I have run a smooth running test in GT1 which showed the injectors passed easily - see following pics of actual results:
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

I have also done injector leak back tests using a snap-on tester. I first tried with injector 'T's disconnected and injectors unplugged & ignition on, closely followed by cranking which didn't show any diesel escaping at all which I'm told is the correct way to test as this excludes the ECU intervening with the smooth running compensation as can be the case with the engine running.

I did then connect the snap-on leak back kit and got the following results - cylinder 1-6 = left to right:
[img][/img]

Cylinder 4 is the lowest. Is this a case of the 'best' injector and the others require service/overhaul or is this the smooth running compensation kicking in by the ECU?

Can anyone suggest what my injector tests prove / dis-prove and if these are the cause of my smoke and lumpy startup or do I have some other lurking issues?

Many Thanks

Martin

PS Sorry for the long post!
Old 02-24-2014 | 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Are valve stem oil seals & piston rings a common failure point on this engine?

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to have glow plug / controller issues without stored fault codes?

Can anyone comment on the leak back test results? I am wondering if the injectors are at fault here due to the results?

Many Thanks

Martin
Old 02-24-2014 | 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Anyone.....?
Old 02-26-2014 | 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Has no one got anything to add at all??????

Not like the old days on here where there would be pages of advice by now!

I'm really looking for comments on the injector leak back test results - can anyone shed some light on this? Please!
Old 02-26-2014 | 12:17 PM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Very few members here are familiar with Diesel engines. That's why you are not getting any responses.
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Very few members here are familiar with Diesel engines. That's why you are not getting any responses.
Ok, thanks for the comment - I know there aren't many diesels in the US! There used to be a fair few on here from the UK and other areas with diesels but I guess people move on - I know I haven't been on here in a while.
Old 12-21-2020 | 11:37 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: E46 330cd

Hello, I hope I am not too late to the party. I am having the exact same problem with my E46 330cd (M57 engine). I was wondering if you managed to fix the problem and if so, how?

Thank you for any help and best regards.
Old 12-19-2022 | 11:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d e60 2007 egr off dpf off
Default 525d 2007

Originally Posted by raki04
Hello, I hope I am not too late to the party. I am having the exact same problem with my E46 330cd (M57 engine). I was wondering if you managed to fix the problem and if so, how?

Thank you for any help and best regards.
my car has the same problem m57n2 has anybody found what causes this and how to fix it?