E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

License plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Meh, I never understood the whole bright = attract attention thing that I find a lot of people spew on about. If anything, it would be the opposite, dim = attract attention. Besides, unless you're clearly speeding or any other violation, there's no reason why a cop would pull you over for having bright license plate lights.

Rez: go with housing. You'll be happier.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rez
So, I'm digging my heals into replacing my license plate lights too. I mean, come on! Adaptive Bi Xenon headlights and LED tail lights with poor lighting on the license plate? That's no match!

Researching, I found 2 ways to go. I can purchase the LED bulbs, or the entire light housings. The attractive bulbs cost about $15 a pair, while a pair of housings cost about $50.

Which route should I take?
For licence plate, you have to buy the complete housing, which has a built-in resistor. With just a bulb, you will get an error message, because LEDs use less power than halogen.
Also, these 24 LED licence plate lights are way TOO bright.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Meh, I never understood the whole bright = attract attention thing that I find a lot of people spew on about. If anything, it would be the opposite, dim = attract attention. Besides, unless you're clearly speeding or any other violation, there's no reason why a cop would pull you over for having bright license plate lights.

Rez: go with housing. You'll be happier.
Its more of a profiling thing...i'm trying to keep my car as stock looking as possible...even did 35W HID instead of 55W...when you start adding lots of bright lights to your car cops start thinking "Hey there must be a young kid behind the wheel...lets pull him over and see if he's drunk or has something on him".
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Rez
Members

My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Originally Posted by RaimoM3
For licence plate, you have to buy the complete housing, which has a built-in resistor. With just a bulb, you will get an error message, because LEDs use less power than halogen.
Also, these 24 LED licence plate lights are way TOO bright.
In that case, are these license plate LED lights available in different brightnesses? I'm also looking for something more subtle. I noticed some have just 3 LED's while some others have 24.

Just want the license plate lights to complement the OEM tail lights, which are LED, that's all.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

There is an OEM LED option as well. The BMW E90 lights.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
There is an OEM LED option as well. The BMW E90 lights.
Do these fit the E60? has there been a retrofit done?? wats the part number?!?!?!?!?!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

https://5series.net/forums/topic/635...-bulbs-cables/
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Rez
Members

My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Thank you Bruce. I will PM you on this. Any chance this will void the warranty?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

the brightest license plate leds are MTEC's

here is a installed shot

Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Installed these and the brightness is perfect. Slightly brighter than stock but white light.

However, not sure if these bulbs will start to rotate after I start bumping that W7...we shall see...i might have to go with a housing if they do

Quick Reply: License plate lights