5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Letting off gas at ~15-25 MPH feels like there's a lot of resistan (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/letting-off-gas-%7E15-25-mph-feels-like-theres-lot-resistan-113913/)

crypto 06-04-2011 05:56 AM

The title isn't the best way to describe it but I am trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. I think the loaner I had pretty much felt the same way, so I am thinking it may be but I haven't really ever experienced this in another car.. so not sure what to think.

My car -> 2010 535i with xDrive.

In other cars I've driven, when you are accelerating and let of the gas it kind of just cruises and will slowly drop speed with no resistance/drag feeling. However, with my car when I am going around 15/20/25 MPH and I left of the gas to 'coast' it feels like I am suddenly hitting a lot of resistance or almost like the brakes are being applied. It doesn't jerk or anything but it has this feeling I can quite describe. Nothing wrong with the car, no noises from it, and this is pretty much all the time.. noticeable any time I let of the gas at slow speeds in the parking garage, parking lot, etc. Is this normal or indicative of anything that sounds familiar? I do think the loaner I had felt about the same, so I am guessing it may just be the car but wondering if everyone else with 5 series or 535's at least experiences this/has any commentary.

545IblupasdU 06-04-2011 06:42 AM

its the transmission resistance as it slows the car down, thats what I think it is.

vkhong 06-04-2011 07:34 AM

I own GM, Lexus and BMW vehicles (E60 and E90). The BMW exhibits engine braking at any low speed. My Lexus LS uses engine braking when I tap or apply the brakes. The GM vehicles do not exhibit much engine braking at all, at any speed.

turboawd 06-04-2011 08:22 AM

are you driving in DS sport mode? that mode provides engine braking.

crypto 06-04-2011 08:39 AM

I just put it in drive.. I've not even tried out DS sport mode yet.

Rizbel 06-04-2011 09:29 AM

Check tires for proper inflation. Under inflated tires have more rolling resistance.

flyingpuck 06-04-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by crypto (Post 1349054)
I just put it in drive.. I've not even tried out DS sport mode yet.

What are you waiting for?? :confused:

andrewsweetnam 06-04-2011 11:12 AM

You are driving a bmw with efficient dynamics which has brake energy regeneration. And a very clever auto box. I think that is what you can feel.

Gpzguy 06-04-2011 01:53 PM

I was just reading through the Bently manual today on this... it describes how it will automatically upshift in certain conditions, using engine braking... part of this is it measures how fast the throttle closes (how fast you take your foot off the gas), and how fast you apply the brakes. Sounds like part of the transmission mapping is what you are experiencing. Drive it more and a) you'll get more used to it when it happens and b) the transmission will adapt itself to your style of driving.

gummysDad 06-06-2011 01:44 PM

As andrewsweetnam said - regenerative braking. These things are such electricity hogs [hence the 60 lb battery], that they use technology usually reserved for electric / hybrid vehicles. You'll also notice the uselss little mpg gauge on the bottom of the speedo dial getting worse and worse instant mpg when you let off that gas at that speed, then at about 5 mph it goes back to like 50mpg.