E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

So I've been searching through the forums and was totally clueless how important a fully charged battery is when it comes to our cars.
- first mistake : When the power was running low on my battery I never took the time to look at the battery cell and the indicator diagram on the battery.
- second mistake : I tried to crank the car hoping it would turn over without the need of a jumper box , some days it cranked over some days it did not.
- third mistake : Turning my car off with the ac on along with the radio .

Take the time to read this regarding our cars starters . It might save you some money in the long run . Now I have to pay 600.00 dollars today to get my car back up and running.

The other major electrical component in your BMW's electrical system is used only a few times a day but is the single largest power user and most critical to your BMW's operation - its starter. A BMW starter is simply a DC motor that turns the engine crankshaft through the flywheel, starting the combustion process by creating compression within the cylinders. Voltage to the starter is supplied directly from the battery and is controlled by a relay and/or solenoid operated from the key switch inside your BMW.

Starters can be of varying types and designs - gear-reduction types for higher torque, permanent-magnet types to reduce size and weight, or just plain, old-fashioned heavy starters. But whatever the type, they all function in the same basic way.

A slow cranking engine may be a sign of a bad starter and with age, that's more and more likely. But on most cars today, it's due to low battery voltage, poor electrical connections at the battery or a failed relay or fusible link.

Most starters will easily outlast a new vehicle warranty if it's not overused, if good connections are maintained and if it's not overheated through dirt and grime buildup.

Starting your BMW with the major components turned off (like the AC compressor, blower motor and high-powered stereos) will greatly ease the load on the starter. In fact, most new cars have "lock out" relays that will not allow the AC compressor and alternator to turn on until after the vehicle has been started. But turning these power-hogs off before shutting off your BMW is always a good precaution.

Although the starter drive, or "Bendix" as it was commonly referred to, can be replaced separately from the starter assembly, it's rarely recommended anymore. Failure of any part is due to age, usage and heat stress, to which the entire BMW starter has also been subjected, so that other parts are just as old and stressed. It's quite common to replace the starter drive only to have to buy another starter in a few months because the brushes wore out, a magnet broke, the solenoid failed, among other common mishaps. Replace the BMW starter as a unit and have the electrical system checked at the same time to prevent further problems.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Wow! That's long thanks for sharing. I made it a habit to turn off everything before I turn off the ignition ever since I started driving, I guess I listened to my dad. But sometimes, I really hate to keep turn it on and off when I sometimes do my errands. Does turning on and off car equipment such as radio and ac affect anything?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Good write up.

But does anyone know how to start the car without AC on? For some reason it's automatically on when i start the car, i have no idea how to disable it
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='935069' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:10 AM
Wow! That's long thanks for sharing. I made it a habit to turn off everything before I turn off the ignition ever since I started driving, I guess I listened to my dad. But sometimes, I really hate to keep turn it on and off when I sometimes do my errands. Does turning on and off car equipment such as radio and ac affect anything?

turning on and off while driving won't put a strain on anything. the emphasis mentioned in the read was having the radio and ac on when the car is started , as it works the starter harder increasing it's work load.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='935071' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:13 AM
Good write up.

But does anyone know how to start the car without AC on? For some reason it's automatically on when i start the car, i have no idea how to disable it

I noticed this as well at times. I think it only comes on automatically when the car is turned off and the ac is on the max setting ( left knob button activated ) , the other thing I some what remember is a setting in the Idrive . In the same section where you can control how many seconds the walkway mirror lights stay on and such...

for those with a battery tender , do you leave it charged to your terminals under the hood or directly connected to the battery?