E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LEGAL ADVICE IN NY

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The logic (or lack thereof) boggles my mind.

If I apply it to NJ / PA ... would I be operating my car legally if when I cross the bridge into Pennsylvania, I immediately remove my front license plate since it's required in NJ but NOT in PA.

I don't see how one one state can legally overrule the laws of another state with regard to the motor vehicle code - especially since there are many that are similar but not EXACTLY EXACTLY the same. If there was a FEDERAL regulation for window tint ... ah I'm confused - this would require 10 lawyers in the same room. OH -but then, they'd come out with 10 different opinions....

OP - I think you're screwed ... throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Open up your wallet and cry a lot ... don't try to plead a logical case with a system that is illogical.

Maybe there's a statute of limitations - they delayed your case for over a year ... isn't that a violation of your civil right to a speedy trial ???
Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Contributors

What are you supposed to do, change the tint while visiting NY? I think there's a fundamental aspect of this I'm not understanding.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by white535xi
hey guys, if anyone has some legal background or has had this experience please provide some advice.

so over a year ago I received a ticket for tinted widows and this was my first in 5yrs of having tints. the court had provided me with a court date back in June but then I received a letter stating they postponed it till sept 22. Here is the catch thoo, my car registration is in PA, but I got the ticket in NY. so technically doesn't the ticket get dropped bc my car is not registered in ny, but in PA. Its like saying they cant give me a ticket for not having a front plate cuz in pa we only have one plate. I plan on going to court on the 22nd and telling the judge that, what do you guys think?
Tinted front windows aren't allowed in PA or NY so the summons is legit. In PA displaying back plate only is legal therefor it is legal driving through the other 49 states regardless of their requirements.

Pay the fine and move on without going to court! You're going to loose and pay fines and court cost
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Pay and move on. If you get cute in front of the judge, then you're asking for more trouble than there is, like your residence issue or out of state driver's license and registration, etc.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by theXman
Pay and move on. If you get cute in front of the judge, then you're asking for more trouble than there is, like your residence issue or out of state driver's license and registration, etc.
Exactly. How much are we really talking about anyway? A few hundred bucks? Big whoop. Pay it and move on.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Exactly. How much are we really talking about anyway? A few hundred bucks? Big whoop. Pay it and move on.
I think what C's trying to say is a few hundred bucks is chump change and he'll pay the fine for you.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Yeah exactly, those tints aren't coming off, I am just gonna pay it but still plead not guilty. But what I found weird was that the court post poned my date on their own.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Yeah exactly, those tints aren't coming off, I am just gonna pay it but still plead not guilty. But what I found weird was that the court post poned my date on their own.

FYI - by paying the ticket (at least in Maryland) that is an admission of guilt.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i xdrive M-Sport Dark Graphite II 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic-Retired 2001 525i Titanium Silver Metallic-Retired1994 325ic Convertible Boston Green-Retired 1985 325es Dolphin Grey-Retired

You already plead not guilty hence the court date to appear. Once there, I would just pay the fine and get it over with. If you plead not guilty you will have to state your case to the court as to why you feel the ticket was issued in error. IF you prove you case to the the court and you win you walk scott free.. no fine. If you lose you will pay the ticket fine plus court surcharges. You will also be opening up a can of worms if you try and fight it. Most people who register their cars out of state and live in NY do this for insurance purposes which constitutes insurance fraud. Pay the ticket my friend.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

lmao! pay it move on

Quick Reply: LEGAL ADVICE IN NY