E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LEGAL ADVICE IN NY

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, if anyone has some legal background or has had this experience please provide some advice.

so over a year ago I received a ticket for tinted widows and this was my first in 5yrs of having tints. the court had provided me with a court date back in June but then I received a letter stating they postponed it till sept 22. Here is the catch thoo, my car registration is in PA, but I got the ticket in NY. so technically doesn't the ticket get dropped bc my car is not registered in ny, but in PA. Its like saying they cant give me a ticket for not having a front plate cuz in pa we only have one plate. I plan on going to court on the 22nd and telling the judge that, what do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

Sure tell the judge that. Just bring your check book when the Court issues you the fine.

The place of your car's registrtation is irrlevant, as you are in NY and subject to NY law.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

so what happens if they give me a ticket for having no front plate, they are allowed to do that cause in ny its required to have two plates but where my car is registered only one is need. Thats basically an equipment ticket, its not like I blew a light or a moving violation
Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

A couple of questions to consider:

(1) Is your tint legal in the State oF Pennsylvania? If so that might be an argument..
(2) Are you a resident of the State of New York? If so how come the car is registered in PA? Do you have a NY driver's license which would be evidence of residency in PA?

Since I doubt that 5% tint all-around is legal anywhere in the U.S., I second wanker's comments. Just pay and remove the tint to avoid getting another ticket!

P.S. This is not considered legal advice.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by white535xi
so what happens if they give me a ticket for having no front plate, they are allowed to do that cause in ny its required to have two plates but where my car is registered only one is need. Thats basically an equipment ticket, its not like I blew a light or a moving violation
Different issue then you can argue that you cannot comply with the law because the car is licensed in a state where only one plate is issued.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Munich77
A couple of questions to consider:

(1) Is your tint legal in the State oF Pennsylvania? If so that might be an argument..
(2) Are you a resident of the State of New York? If so how come the car is registered in PA? Do you have a NY driver's license which would be evidence of residency in PA?

Since I doubt that 5% tint all-around is legal anywhere in the U.S., I second wanker's comments. Just pay and remove the tint to avoid getting another ticket!

P.S. This is not considered legal advice.
Point 2 is important here. Not sure about NY but in CA, I think they give you only two weeks for you to have to register the car in CA if you moved here from another state. So if you go to court here, you'll probably get into more trouble because they'll ask why you haven't registered your car here yet. So check the vehicle code for NY and be prepared to have an explanation if their laws are similar.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Contributors

thank you for the advise
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Tint tickets used to be "fix-it" tickets in the New York City jurisdiction. Basically, you prove that the tints are removed, show a photo to the clerk at the issuing precinct, and the ticket is dismissed.

Here is what I have done twice going back almost 10 years the first time, and 6 the second. 1) Find another car of your type and model year 2)Take a picture of the vin of your car 3)Remove your plate and double sided tape the plate on the same type of car without tints and take pictures 4) Ticket dismissed both times

I did have more common cars back then, being a Maxima and an Accord, but this did work twice!

My advice, just pay the ticket and leave the tints on.. Tint tickets only happen if cops want to be jackoffs.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Some laws only apply to vehicles registered in NY, while some apply to all vehicles operated in NY. Generally, if it relates to safety, it is an "operated" in law. Unfortunately, tint laws are are not based on where the car is registered. NY Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL) § 375 12(b):

(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway,
road or street:
(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six
inches of the windshield; or
(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of
or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent; or
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe,
hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light
transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated
with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy
percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both
sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a
clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such
vehicle.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

i have PA plates in NYC aswell and i got tint tickets for all 4 of my tints i went and pleaded not guilty and lost her words was, "you have to respect nyc jurisdiction while you are in nyc" she made me pay the lowest fine plus the nyc surcharge i dont remember exact numbers this was about 10 months ago.

Quick Reply: LEGAL ADVICE IN NY