E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Left LCI tail completley failed! HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My left LCI tailrod was flickering yesterday I thought nothing of it. Tonight after leaving restaurant I left and in the parking lot of the restaurant I got lots iDrive messages for my taillight. My left brakelight was gone, the lamp was only 1/5 lit, the left turn signal was gone, and the left reverse light was gone.

Here is a picture and video. What could cause this? After driving home (very dangerous) I whacked it a bit and it came back on I left again around 8PM and it failed on the road...whacking it works for a bit. And another question why is the blinker blinking so fast?

Attached Thumbnails Left LCI tail completley failed! HELP.-162697_1804219189379_1356849903_2810353_4294173_n.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Seems like you are still under factory warranty. I would just bring it to the dealership.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius
Seems like you are still under factory warranty. I would just bring it to the dealership.
Could an HID kit and modified sidemarkers cause any issue with warranty?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Not sure, but if you have LED front turn signals with out resistors, it could cause the fast rear turn signal flashing. Just to be safe, since you are bringing it in for a light issue, I would return the cars lighting back to stock. This way they can not blame it on the aftermarket parts, and your warranty will not be in jeopardy.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Not sure, but if you have LED front turn signals with out resistors, it could cause the fast rear turn signal flashing. Just to be safe, since you are bringing it in for a light issue, I would return the cars lighting back to stock. This way they can not blame it on the aftermarket parts, and you warranty will not be in jeopardy.
The only lighting that is modified is the HID kit and the led sidemarkers. The signals turned normal after the left tail came back on but it happens ONLY when the left lamp is out.
Members

if u did any lightning upgrades i would put it back to stock and take it back for service
Contributors

Also, have you tried reseating your tail light harness? There may be a loose connection.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

Also, have you tried reseating your tail light harness? There may be a loose connection.
Yes tried that. . My car was hit and run in the bumper last week the tow cover fell off and have few dents maybe that caused an issue?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

my guess is a faulty ground on the rear light. check the ground wire and the bolt that fastens it to the chassis.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It definitely looks like a connection issue if you hitting it makes it temporarily work again.

When the video started playing, I was going to suggest that your music made it commit suicide

Quick Reply: Left LCI tail completley failed! HELP.