E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leaving for six months... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Alpine white / Auburn 525i w/ 128 rims

Dear Forum Members,

I am currently in the Military and I will be deploying to the desert for six months. I'll be leaving my E60 in the garage for the time and I was wondering what I would need to do to keep my car in it's top condition. Should I disconnect the battery for the time being? Would it be best if I leave the gas tank almost empty? How much should I overinflate the tires to avoid flatspots, or would it be best to put it on bricks? If I left out anything else please feel free to drop an advice. I know it's lots of questions but I will appreciate it if you guys can answer some questions. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Contributors

I think I can chime in on the disconnecting battery. You shouldn't have to do that, your car will "sleep" while you're gone, should be fine. As for gas tank and tyres, others will probably have a better advice than me.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

Pump up the tires and fill up your gas tank !
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Hi,
check your owners hand book, there are actually a couple of advice inside regarding servicing, fuel etc during longer storage times.

/M

Originally Posted by lbfam730' post='340762' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:10 AM
Dear Forum Members,

I am currently in the Military and I will be deploying to the desert for six months. I'll be leaving my E60 in the garage for the time and I was wondering what I would need to do to keep my car in it's top condition. Should I disconnect the battery for the time being? Would it be best if I leave the gas tank almost empty? How much should I overinflate the tires to avoid flatspots, or would it be best to put it on bricks? If I left out anything else please feel free to drop an advice. I know it's lots of questions but I will appreciate it if you guys can answer some questions. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='340775' date='Oct 2 2006, 06:41 AM
Pump up the tires and fill up your gas tank !
...and don't forget to put gas stabilizer in it and run it through the system since gasoline will polymerize (form long chains and thicken up, eventually turns into gum) over time. Leaving the tank dry is not a good idea since the little bit of remaining gas at the bottom of the tank and in the gas lines will still thicken up, plus you are giving a lot of air space in the tank to allow condensation to form.

Change oil will be a good idea as the old oil probably has some moisture and acidic by-products in it.

There are pro's and cons about putting the car on blocks - it saves the tires and the springs but may harm the shock absorbers becasue they will be fully extended for all that time. How about put a set of old tires on, leave the car on the ground, and store your good tires horizontally inside dark covers (to avoid UV damage)? An alternative is take the wheels off and support the suspension on blocks. It also makes it more difficult for someone to try to steal the car.

(P.S. Don't drive with any tires that are more than 4 years old as the rubber will deteriorate over time and traction will greatly suffer. If the length of the storage period means the tires will be older than that by the time you finish, change the tires with fresh ones before using the car again.)
Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Give it to me.

I'll drive your's and keep the miles off mine.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I read somewhere a while back to put the car on jackstands.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lbfam730' post='340762' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:10 AM
Dear Forum Members,

Over the past two years I left my car in the garage for 3 months twice. After talking to the head mechanic I was advised to disconnect the battery and that was it. I followed his advice and all was well except for the car thought it needed the oil changed the day after I reconnected the battery. Nothing was mentioned with the gasoline but I have 2 cars in the States I leave for about 10 months each year (I have been doing this for over 10 years without problems.) with under an 1/8 tank of gasoline, I jack the cars up and place jackstands under them, naturally they are waxed and covered when I leave. I have never had a problem with the shocks. Upon my return I take them down off the jackstands, connect the batteries, start the cars back them out of the garage. I take them to the closest gasoline station fill them up, check the air preasure in the tires and add if needed. Within the first 3 days I get the oil changed. One car has over 170K on it while the other is a bit over 100K no problems.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I have an old classic car that I store each winter (or used to), and I always left the gas tank as full as possible. Leaving space allows the moisture in the air to corrode the tank.