E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

leaving a/c blower fan speed off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone knows how I can leave the manual fan speed of the a/c (air-con) blower off when engine is started? I like to use the manual mode for the a/c and will turn the fan speed off before switching off the engine. When I start the engine again later the a/c blower fan will be on eventhough I did not touch it. The only time when it does not come on is when I restart after a short interval (after having turned off the a/c blower fan prior to swtiching off the engine). Anyone noticed this? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

If I remember correctly, this is one of the various settings that your key "remembers". Try switching the fan blower to "off" a minute or two before you shut the engine off and then see how it behaves. You may need to lock and unlock the doors too, before it kicks in, and make sure you're not on "auto". When doing this, my car's a/c always starts up in the last setting I left it in before shutting down.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='466860' date='Sep 7 2007, 04:34 PM
If I remember correctly, this is one of the various settings that your key "remembers". Try switching the fan blower to "off" a minute or two before you shut the engine off and then see how it behaves. You may need to lock and unlock the doors too, before it kicks in, and make sure you're not on "auto". When doing this, my car's a/c always starts up in the last setting I left it in before shutting down.
Hi!, almost did everthing there is to do and read the manual a few times over but no answer to this so far. If I leave the blower fan speed at say 4th bar and switch off the engine, lock the car and then restart after a long interval the fan speed willl remain at that speed after starting engine. Just puzzles me as to why if I switch it off completely before switching engine off it always comes back on at the lowest speed after restarting engine. But if I restart after a short interval say within 5 mins (did it without locking door and locking door/unlocking door) it (the blower) stays off like the way I left it before switching off the engine. I mean this thing is not a problem at all, I am just puzzled. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Senior Members

that is a strange scenerio, dont beleiev ive come across this before...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my2007' post='466878' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:58 PM
Hi!, almost did everthing there is to do and read the manual a few times over but no answer to this so far. If I leave the blower fan speed at say 4th bar and switch off the engine, lock the car and then restart after a long interval the fan speed willl remain at that speed after starting engine. Just puzzles me as to why if I switch it off completely before switching engine off it always comes back on at the lowest speed after restarting engine. But if I restart after a short interval say within 5 mins (did it without locking door and locking door/unlocking door) it (the blower) stays off like the way I left it before switching off the engine. I mean this thing is not a problem at all, I am just puzzled. Thanks.
Mine stays put as I leave it. Either manual, either off, either auto. Maybe it's the software. What progman do you have on your my2007?

Anyway, I never turn the A/C off completely, but all the time my car comes from the dealer, I found it off with the orange led lit. Looks like this is the first thing BMW teaches the dealers.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport

May be the software indeed, as big_ipaq suggests. What's the spec of your car?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i

I'm not sure if the following thread still applies because there may have been some software changes affecting this "feature" of the a/c system:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=34198
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

My older E60 has this "feature" many people complained about it a while back dont know if it ever got fixed with newer software but yes, after the car sleeps the fan ALWAYS turn back on for me every time I start up the car. Just the fan. if i turn the AC off the AC staies off but the fan still kicks on. So I've gotten use to turning the fan to lowest speed before shutting down the car now.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by my2007' post='466878' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:58 PM
Just puzzles me as to why if I switch it off completely before switching engine off it always comes back on at the lowest speed after restarting engine. But if I restart after a short interval say within 5 mins (did it without locking door and locking door/unlocking door) it (the blower) stays off like the way I left it before switching off the engine.
They call it fuzzy logic.

It's the same with seat heating.

The car will never leave you with "nothing" nor everything.

PS. Have you tryed to lock the car with audio level max?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='467033' date='Sep 8 2007, 01:00 AM
My older E60 has this "feature" many people complained about it a while back dont know if it ever got fixed with newer software but yes, after the car sleeps the fan ALWAYS turn back on for me every time I start up the car. Just the fan. if i turn the AC off the AC staies off but the fan still kicks on. So I've gotten use to turning the fan to lowest speed before shutting down the car now.
Yes, I believe this is the same issue that I am having. I have tried doing what you are doing - turning the blower speed to min before switching off the engine. Not sure whether if it is better to turn it totally off but I realise that whenver I do that I can hear a lot of "whirling" and other noises like as if lots of flaps or mechanisms are being adjusted (before switching off e engine). Don't think either way will make much difference. Guess this is just one of the quirks or fuzzy logic as ricracing mentioned. big_ipaq, macsid, and rudy thanks for all your comments. Rudy, yes that link that u gave is a discussion of the same issue. Called the SA today about this again and was told that it is normal for the a/c to behave this way and like ricracing said it has short memory i.e. if left for a short while, that memory will be valid, otherwise the default setting will prevail. My car is a 2007 523i LCI model and the A/C is with the extended feature option. Thanks!

Quick Reply: leaving a/c blower fan speed off