E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leather against Leather Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow I'm glad I didnt get Fold Down seats now. It was $400 I didnt want to spend and plus seeing the E39s fold down I didnt want them they were much flatter and less padded than regular seats so I opted not to have them.

Lomag try Zaino Bros Leather in a bottle conditioner... I've been using it and its great. Doenst leave a messy residue and doenst have a weird smell afterwards.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

ALSO try this... get some elctrical tape and tape 2-3 layers around the D latches behind the seat where the seat latches to. See if that helps. It might be enough to stop any play in the seats and hook them on tight.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='230662' date='Jan 27 2006, 02:24 PM
The lexol conditioner that comes in wipe form right? This one:

Attachment 14762

That's the same one my dealer used which didn't help. Perhaps though we didn't give it proper time to dry and didn't try multiple coats over a few day/week period.

You guys say it should help though?
You want the one in a spray bottle. As I said above, the dakota leather is very porous and soaks it up, so those wipes probably didn't have enough to do the job--this is what you want--you can get it at most auto parts stores, and better hardware stores. Apply 2 or 3 applications, 20 minutes between and buff each with soft cotton rag.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Yep! I picked up the lexol cleaner in wipe form and the conditioner in spray form at pep boys earier this evening and put on two coats this night. I'll follow up tommorrow with a few more. Is there such thing as too much now? Sounds like Zaino only for the interior not the exterior. LOL
Old 01-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='230818' date='Jan 27 2006, 08:42 PM
Yep! I picked up the lexol cleaner in wipe form and the conditioner in spray form at pep boys earier this evening and put on two coats this night. I'll follow up tommorrow with a few more. Is there such thing as too much now? Sounds like Zaino only for the interior not the exterior. LOL
As long as you buff it off, I don't think there's such a thing as too much, but at some point, the leather won't absorb anymore and you're just buffing off what you applied. Let us know if it works. Interior noises are tricky--some times you think you know where it's coming from, and you get tricked.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

I've put on a few coats of the Lexol conditioner and am proud to report that the noise has reduced quite a bit, however it's still there. I'll follow up each weekend with an application and hopefully it'll become minimized. I'll probably end up doing the entire interior but more importantly all the places where leather touches leather/plastic.

Now, I'm beginning to hear noises and rattles I haven't heard before. One that bothers me the most is from the drivers side door because it's right near my ear. What's rattling is the little black thing that sticks out to let you know if the door is locked or unlocked. You know what I'm talking about? When locked, it moves around and touches the plastic surrounding it making the noise. It seems like its not in the center of the plastic ring anymore. On my other 3 doors this black thing doesn't move side to side enough to touch the black plastic. Hummm... maybe I'm just being too picky?

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Lomag,

I had the *same* problem, but solved it by using *black towels* on my *black interior*!

Seriously though, I used Lexol Conditioner (not the wipes, but the spray bottle) and applied a FEW coats over the period of a weekend. There are some good instructions from prior posts.

Going on 3 months now and no re-occurring squeaks in the back seat area.

Good Luck,
-CoolTones
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hey Folks,

I just wanted to post an update that my noises are 99% gone now. I also wanted to mention that there was noise not only from the areas I marked off in my original pictures, but also from the areas marked off below:

Leather against Leather Noise-back.jpg

This may have been fairly obvious to some but I didn't think noise would come from those areas, however some noises did.

I used the lexol conditioner spray and it worked wonders over the past week. As previously mentioned here, leather is like skin, it dries up over time and needs to be moisturized/conditioned to keep it in good condition (ie. no noise).

For those of you with fold down seats who don't have this issue now and think you won't have this issue, unfortunately you will. I have to highly suggest that atleast once every 3 or 6 months you use the lexol conditioner in all those areas, perhaps in addition to the entire interior, to keep the leather in its best shape.

Thanks for all your advice guys! I'm much happier now with that noise gone.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

not that I wud be brave enough to argue with admin but I have no issue at any speeds, but will test some day.

If I wudn't have fold-down I cud not put 4 wheels w rims in my car and get that to a shop to install them
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Well thats the thing -- my car is nearly 2 years old now and this issue came up so its only a matter of time... it probably also depends much on your local climate too on how fast the leather dries up.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='234342' date='Feb 3 2006, 10:25 PM
Well thats the thing -- my car is nearly 2 years old now and this issue came up so its only a matter of time... it probably also depends much on your local climate too on how fast the leather dries up.
Hi Mark on my watches leather strap I use(d) Nivea to cure... may be give a try...

Quick Reply: Leather against Leather Noise