E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leather against Leather Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

regular hand lotion does the trick too! (I am not kidding)
Old 01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

OK Lomag,

Did go down to my car (live in a flat at the topmost 4th floor corner).

Took this cellcam pic at 11:20 pm local time with no light. Go Nokia!

Ain't this Forum just about this...?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Pic 2. Right hand side.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='230613' date='Jan 27 2006, 03:21 PM
To apply conditioner or cream is not a permanent solution. Have you ask the dealer to check the lock of your back seats, maybe your rear folding seats doesn't lock tight enough.
Beg to differ, but leather is a natural object just like your skin. It needs moisturizing which in turn reduces friction when two leathers rub against each other. Friction is what causes the noise.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:02 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Good to know the root cause. I narrowed my noise down to rear arm rest on my rear fold down seat but I don't know exactly which part of the arm rest is the cause.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I second the vote for Lexol conditioner (make sure it is the conditioner and not the cleaner). I used it to solve the same problem on my previous E39 with the fold downs. Some people do not like it becasue they say it make the leather shiny. But the conditioners that provide the shine lubricate the leather enough to stop the noice. If you use it only in between the seats, the appearance is not an issue.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

The lexol conditioner that comes in wipe form right? This one:

Leather against Leather Noise-autogeek_1880_139684854.gif

That's the same one my dealer used which didn't help. Perhaps though we didn't give it proper time to dry and didn't try multiple coats over a few day/week period.

You guys say it should help though?
Old 01-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

If the Lexol doent work try some silicone spray that works , I used it on my previuos car. Spray the silicone on a cloth (not on the leather) and rub into the areas & buff.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='230662' date='Jan 27 2006, 02:24 PM

Attachment 14762

That's the same one my dealer used which didn't help. Perhaps though we didn't give it proper time to dry and didn't try multiple coats over a few day/week period.

Is this a good product?? Never used it before, but will love to give it a try if it's easy to condition my leather seats.

I bought a few types of conditioner before, it's so hard to "wipe on" and "wipe off", my seats look worse before I applied the conditioner. I usually give up after 1 seat.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='230583
Originally Posted by Lomag' post='230662' date='Jan 27 2006, 02:24 PM

Attachment 14762

Is this a good product?? Never used it before, but will love to give it a try if it's easy to condition my leather seats.

I bought a few types of conditioner before, it's so hard to "wipe on" and "wipe off", my seats look worse before I applied the conditioner. I usually give up after 1 seat.
Lexol makes the best of the best leather cleaner and conditioners. The wipes are for quick jobs but if you want a thorough cleaning and conditioning buy the spray and follow their instructions.

Quick Reply: Leather against Leather Noise