E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leaking Transmission Pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i
Default Leaking Transmission Pan

Hi Guys, I recently just the solenoids, adapter seal, sealing sleeve and the oil pan + filter due to the infamous trans surge. It fixed it beautifully after a battery reset and adaptation reset but I noticed last week a puddle of oil underneath the trans. I took of the covers and saw the oil of trans leaking all around the pan (all bolts had oil on them) and so it looks like the pan is leaking.

My thoughts are either:
1) Due to it being plastic, it hasn't sat on the metal flat and is leaking
2) Workshop didn't tighten the bolts correctly?

The workshop said it's due to the plastic not sitting 100% and is causing a leak. His recommendation is he find a metal sump to replace as he thinks this will resolve the problem.. My questions is, I have the 6HP19 and they don't have a metal sump that I know of.

Thus, to even find one, I think will be costly if they do have one..

What are my options. Workshop work on the ZF trans. frequently on the fords (in Aus, the ford taxis have the ZF6HP21 or 26).

Any ideas anyone?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

something is obviously wrong, and its not because the pan is plastic. there are hundred's of thousands of other plastic pans out there.
either you got a bad pan, or maybe the mechatronics seal is leaking from above and dripping down.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Probably got a defective gasket. It's been known to happen. Unfortunately, you'll likely need to drop the pan, replace the gasket. Run a bead of some type of sealant in the pan groove before putting the new gasket it. And last but not least, it is crucial that all fasteners are torqued to the correct spec and installed in the correct sequence.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

The pan gaskets can leak if the bolts are not tightened in sequence to a specific torque, 10 N m.

It also helps to put a thin coating of transmission fluid on the gasket prior to bolting the pan back to the transmission.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

+1 what txag_530i says. If you didn't follow the bolt tightening sequence and use the correct torque that is most likely your problem. 10 Nm isn't very tight.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Thanks guys.

Difficulty is in how to address this problem now if the workshop thinks that using a metal pan will solve the problem (if they can find one that is to fit).

Otherwise, I don't know if saying, "did you follow the specific torque sequence" etc to them will be a good idea, since they should know what they are doing -- in that, I don't want to offend them.

The gasket I got wasn't genuine OEM, so is it worth getting another plastic gasket but OEM?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by mwaku
Thanks guys.

Difficulty is in how to address this problem now if the workshop thinks that using a metal pan will solve the problem (if they can find one that is to fit).

Otherwise, I don't know if saying, "did you follow the specific torque sequence" etc to them will be a good idea, since they should know what they are doing -- in that, I don't want to offend them.

The gasket I got wasn't genuine OEM, so is it worth getting another plastic gasket but OEM?
you'll find a diagram on here of the bolt tightening sequence. print it out and hand it to them next time. dont be shy to hurt their egos.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

Metal pan versus plastic pan is not the issue. I wouldn't do a metal pan that isn't 100% for that tranny. You need a part that is from BMW or 100% OEM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530xi touring
Engine: 3 liter

There is nothing wrong with the plastic pan. The oil seal sits just a little bit above the pan and its job is to seal against the gear box. Even torque in the right sequence will give you a tight seal, 99%. A large puddle means they did something wrong.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by turboawd
you'll find a diagram on here of the bolt tightening sequence. print it out and hand it to them next time. dont be shy to hurt their egos.
This^

I would assume nothing, especially if this is the first time that you have used their services.
You need to be polite, but firm. There are 1,000s of these pans installed worldwide and they don't leak.

The shop needs to install a new gasket and re-tighten the bolts in the right sequence and to the correct torque. This is a warranty claim for them (in-house) and they need to take care of it.

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Pan