E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leaf and performance!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a standing joke here in the UK that the trains are delayed in Autumn due to leaves on the lines but I never thought it applied to BMW's!!
Had noticed a drop off in performance recently and the car did not seem so smooth. OK I thought lets check the simple things. Opened up the air cleaner box to find a good handful of dried leaves!! Obviously nothing to stop them being sucked up from the drive/road.
Cleaned them out and blew out the airfilter for good measure and now car back to usual self. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!
Nice to know some fixes on the E60 are still easy.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by db545' date='Jan 28 2005, 09:05 PM
There is a standing joke here in the UK that the trains are delayed in Autumn due to leaves on the lines but I never thought it applied to BMW's!!
Had noticed a drop off in performance recently and the car did not seem so smooth. OK I thought lets check the simple things. Opened up the air cleaner box to find a good handful of dried leaves!! Obviously nothing to stop them being sucked up from the drive/road.
Cleaned them out and blew out the airfilter for good measure and now car back to usual self. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!
Nice to know some fixes on the E60 are still easy.
[snapback]84246[/snapback]
How do you access the airfilter? A picture would be cool?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Members

Sorry cant take a picture, camera broke and too dark now!!
Air filter housing in my car is the black box on the front right of the engine bay as you stand in front of the car looking under the bonnet.
Unclip the metal clips around it and the lid lifts away although still attached by the air hoses. There is enough room to clean out the housing and to get the filter out for a quick clean.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by db545' date='Jan 29 2005, 10:20 PM
Sorry cant take a picture, camera broke and too dark now!!
Air filter housing in my car is the black box on the front right of the engine bay as you stand in front of the car looking under the bonnet.
Unclip the metal clips around it and the lid lifts away although still attached by the air hoses. There is enough room to clean out the housing and to get the filter out for a quick clean.
[snapback]84595[/snapback]
Cool, thanks... I'll have a look tomorrow
Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Slightly off-tangent but somewhat related - has anyone looked at gettting a performance air filter such as K&N for their E60 ?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Colejl and Mart530D, it's not so easy to get to the airfilter with the 530d.
It's on the left of the engine. You have to take off the engine cover first, then release the clip holding the flexy air input from the front of the car to the air cleaner housing.
After this there are 3 screws holding another cover which you need to undo to remove this cover. Ths will give you visual access ti the cleaner but there is a whole lot more cover removal to be done before you can actually remove the air filter.

Another unusal observation is that the normal fluted paper air filter is loosly covered with what seems to be a type of glass fibre wool almost as a pre-filter. Not sure why they do this.

Anyway, once you get to your filters please let me know what you find.

Streak
Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I thought it may be helpful to post TIS documentation on how to change air filters for all current engine types in this thread... (Yes, the 535d is much more complicated!)

Hope it helps!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts