E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI Shift Knob into My 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 05:26 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Ok, I saw a few people do it. So I jumped in. BEWARE, It is cosmetic only, Lights will not come on. But I did it in 5 Minutes. (not my initial plan, but I broke the flexcable in the ripping process., but i was glad i didnt even try with the lights)

First, Pulling out the OEM knob was not hard at all. Just Set to P, press in the unlock button, and pull up. (lean your forearm in the center console, and pull up as if your forearm was a "crowbar")
I HEARED MANY PEOPLE Breaking Windshield (?), Hitting the forehead, Destroying Rearview mirrors. AS PRECAUTION, Bring a Pillow and put it on top of it, just in case your Knob is very very tight.

I purchased a Used LCI Shifter off eBay.com Taken out from an X5 LCI. (anyone will work since we dont care about the electronics)

I took it apart carefully, and got everything separated, (headache to put it back in original state, so no going back)
The Top Part (the part we want) is a Clipped (plastic) on to the aluminum Stick center. so be careful when removing. SINCE I took it apart it was easier to remove, BUT I would guess I could try to pull hard in the very beginning, it could posibbly come out as well.

Then All you have to do it Clip it on into your old shifter Stick Center. It's Like Plug and Play. (the center of the shifter knob is empty because it doesnt have the lever unlock button, so the knob Grabs the aluminum stick from the outside. You will find it a little hard fitting the Shifter Leather Boot, I used a super small screwdriver and removed a few stitches from the top to make the hole a litttle bigger just enough to squeeze in the new shifter knob.

I found it a little bit loose since I could turn the shifter very very easily, and I decided to Clamp it from inside. Went to Lowe's and got a #8 Clamp. (not actual size, got it?)

so I clamped it tightened it hard and now it wont turn 0.1 Degree. remember to tighten it little by little so you dont break the plastic that grabs the shifter aluminum center.

I didnt take pictures in the process. But if enough people request it. I will consider doing a DIY.

here is the final product

Old 05-05-2010 | 11:29 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

looks like it sits too high up but looks nice.

Lil off topic. When I removed my MT shift knob, I smashed my chin and my gums started bleeding Yeah...be careful pulling that thing
Old 05-06-2010 | 06:21 AM
Contributors

So all the functions work on that knob besides the lights? What about the button for park?
Old 05-06-2010 | 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg

Lil off topic. When I removed my MT shift knob, I smashed my chin and my gums started bleeding Yeah...be careful pulling that thing
Yeah, it is a little bit high, but just low enough for the In Dash cd to eject, So

The reason i didnt go to cut the extra inch and half of plastic in the LCI shifter knob, its because i would have to glue it, since the clamp wouldnt fit. Second reason, I still have CPO, and if any thing regarding the transmission fails, Its a plug and play for my old shifter before bringing in to the Stealer. Otherwise, those GANGS will blame my mod and give me hard time. After my warranty expires, I will mode it with a SAT shifter, and play with the lights.

Originally Posted by Cwest
So all the functions work on that knob besides the lights? What about the button for park?
Unfortunately, the Shifter Electronic unit doesnt fit or work for the preLCI. I didnt went to spend hours and hours to do the wiring andstuff (cause i broke the flexcavble when pulling the knob, Lol)

But if you could if you want to tear your OEM electronic apart to do the Park button. for the lights, you'd need to tap into your old black cover's leds.

Search for DelMarco in another forum, he did it. but it is too time consuming for me. all i wanted is cosmetic appereance. the lights are too little reason to spend precious hours.
Old 05-06-2010 | 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA

I'm sorry but for me: :thumbsdown:
Old 05-06-2010 | 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by jarek_pr
I'm sorry but for me:
Same here. I'd prefer the M5 SMG shifter.
Old 05-06-2010 | 03:26 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg

What is it with you and hurting yourself!?!?
Old 05-07-2010 | 02:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jarek_pr
I'm sorry but for me: :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by theXman
Same here. I'd prefer the M5 SMG shifter.

1st M5 SMG looks nice too, too bad their Labels are wrong with how you shift. Plus I dont wanna be a poser trying to imitate a M5, even worse without SMG.

2nd, The OEM shifters are

But as always, comments and opinions are highly respected
Old 05-07-2010 | 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It just looks too tall and unwieldy to me!
Old 05-07-2010 | 02:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
It just looks too tall and unwieldy to me!
That is untill my CPO runs out. after that, im gonna cut the aluminum thing to make it short like a real LCI.