E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI model 535i (US) Battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

There have been numerous posts on batteries ? going dead, special BMW battery chargers, etc. What I can?t find is specific information on the new LCI e60s in terms of using an external battery charger to top off the battery.

I know there is a terminal in the engine compartment to allow one to hook up jumper cables to jump another car or get a jump start, but would this be the place to attach a trickle charger periodically to bring the battery up to full charge? Or should the charger be attached directly to the battery?

Some posts have talked about damage to the electrical mechanisms, but I can?t see how that is possible if in the same respect one can jump start another car or receive a jump start.

Any clarification would be of great help. Once again I get my 535i in late September ? hence I?m data collecting at this point in time.

Thanks - Ted
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='457084' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:25 AM
Some posts have talked about damage to the electrical mechanisms, but I can?t see how that is possible if in the same respect one can jump start another car or receive a jump start.
I would say never jump start another car with the E60. It will throw too many faults and give you waaay too much headache. The car monitors everything if theres a sudden surge of current or loss of power the car will go crazy and complan till you get everything reset at the dealer.

As for receiving a jump well your car's dead anyways so either way you'll need to go back to the dealer might as well drive it in instead of flat beding it in if you can.

Trickle charging thats another gray area... Some will say its fine some not. I dont know myself. You shouldnt need to trickle charge that often... at most twice a year... if you drive the car normally I wouldnt see why you need it more than that. So if you want to do it right I would attach it directly to the battery since its not very often you need to trickle charge.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='457084' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:25 PM
There have been numerous posts on batteries ? going dead, special BMW battery chargers, etc. What I can?t find is specific information on the new LCI e60s in terms of using an external battery charger to top off the battery.

I know there is a terminal in the engine compartment to allow one to hook up jumper cables to jump another car or get a jump start, but would this be the place to attach a trickle charger periodically to bring the battery up to full charge? Or should the charger be attached directly to the battery?

Any clarification would be of great help. Once again I get my 535i in late September ? hence I?m data collecting at this point in time.

Thanks - Ted

Hey Ted!

Yes, you can hook up a BMW (or any other reputable non-BMW brand charger) battery charger unit directly under the hood of your car. I own a Dinan-Tuned E60 545. My owner's manual actually states that ANY battery charging in the BMW should be done ONLY under the hood and in the engine compartment - not on the actual battery unit in the trunk. That's where I have my unit hooked up and it works out just fine! Hopefully, on the 535, it works the same way. Under the hood, you'll should see that positive terminal clearly identified (under that little door) for your + hookup and that small deadbolt near the shock absorber area for your ground/negative wire lead hookup. Hope this helps, Ted! GOLD PANDA