E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI Headlight Pattern Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 12:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Just thought that I would provide some information to anyone in the UK who has a new LCI model.

I recently went to France, and rather than stick the Headlight Pattern Adjusters on the lenses, I read in the manual that the pattern can be adjusted by means of a lever which is attached to the rear of the headlights.

I went to adjust these, which apparently moves the beam from a 'driving on the left' biased to a 'neutral position' which is acceptable when driving on the left. However, on closer inspection I found that the adjusters on my car were already set to the 'neutral position' and must have left the factory this way.

Therefore when I returned to the UK I moved the lever in the opposite direction to set them for 'driving on the left'. Must say there is now a noticeable improvement at night - obviously more suited on our UK roads.

Thought it was worth mentioning as people may wish to check their headlights are set correctly. The adjustment procedure (quite simple) is detailed in the owners manual. For clarity I have the standard headlights fitted, not the upgraded Xeon type.
Old 09-06-2007 | 01:19 AM
Senior Members

i dont know , i do know that the auto leveling works with a sensor that is built in the suspension coils. There is on the coil a sensor device you can adjust. So if you lower the car with a new suspension you must remember to adjust that sensor located on the coil itself
Old 09-06-2007 | 01:29 AM
Contributors

Useful tip! PS Palmo, your signature image is far to wide, it causes the forum to scroll horizontally on "normal" resolutions - can you trim it down so it is a bit narrower? I expect there are guidelines somewhere on the forum about recommended sizes
Old 09-06-2007 | 01:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='466387' date='Sep 6 2007, 10:29 AM
Useful tip! PS Palmo, your signature image is far to wide, it causes the forum to scroll horizontally on "normal" resolutions - can you trim it down so it is a bit narrower? I expect there are guidelines somewhere on the forum about recommended sizes
Thanks for the advice on the sig. I wasn't aware of this as I have a wide screen LCD and it appears fine. Will look into this!
Old 10-24-2008 | 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='466369' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:37 AM
Just thought that I would provide some information to anyone in the UK who has a new LCI model.

I recently went to France, and rather than stick the Headlight Pattern Adjusters on the lenses, I read in the manual that the pattern can be adjusted by means of a lever which is attached to the rear of the headlights.

I went to adjust these, which apparently moves the beam from a 'driving on the left' biased to a 'neutral position' which is acceptable when driving on the left. However, on closer inspection I found that the adjusters on my car were already set to the 'neutral position' and must have left the factory this way.

Therefore when I returned to the UK I moved the lever in the opposite direction to set them for 'driving on the left'. Must say there is now a noticeable improvement at night - obviously more suited on our UK roads.

Thought it was worth mentioning as people may wish to check their headlights are set correctly. The adjustment procedure (quite simple) is detailed in the owners manual. For clarity I have the standard headlights fitted, not the upgraded Xeon type.
Also, the manual is wrong. It says both levers in the same direction, but for driving on the left, the nearside is down and the offside is up - well if I remember it right!.

Strange but obvious if you do it when the lights are shining on a garage door for example! The beam pattern is either "flat" for driving on the right or "stepped" for driving on the left.

I noticed this as when I fitted my HIDs, I wondered why I had lost the step on the offside headlight - due to me accidently moving the lever.

Regards,

David.