E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI BMW 5-Series crash test

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1063359' date='Nov 26 2009, 07:35 PM
Assembled in China.........my iphone is "designed by Apple in California, assembled in China" I deal with Chinese on a weekly basis. Look, the quality is OK if you know how to choose your vendors' products.......killer dog food, Killer baby food, killer tooth paste, killer drywall in florida homes.........they lack in respecting safety issues of the world community and focus on quantity not quality. I have the choice to choose any car I want to drive in. I'm a frugal person. Just because I can afford smthing doesn't mean i will buy it. But if can be proven that I would not be hurt driving in a Lamborghini I would buy it and drive it becuase i'd rather be safe. I don't put a price tag on my nor my family's safety. Spending $200k on a car and being able to live in the worst of accidents is better than buying a $10,000 car and becoming impaired for life. With that said.... I deal and will continue to deal with China on certain products that I know are safe. Will I ever buy a Chinese, Korean or a French car? Not in my life. I drive in a BMW for a reason and that's a reason that cannot have a monetary value placed on it.
and killer chinese drywall in new orleans as well
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1063359' date='Nov 26 2009, 05:35 PM
Assembled in China.........my iphone is "designed by Apple in California, assembled in China" I deal with Chinese on a weekly basis. Look, the quality is OK if you know how to choose your vendors' products.......killer dog food, Killer baby food, killer tooth paste, killer drywall in florida homes.........they lack in respecting safety issues of the world community and focus on quantity not quality. I have the choice to choose any car I want to drive in. I'm a frugal person. Just because I can afford smthing doesn't mean i will buy it. But if can be proven that I would not be hurt driving in a Lamborghini I would buy it and drive it becuase i'd rather be safe. I don't put a price tag on my nor my family's safety. Spending $200k on a car and being able to live in the worst of accidents is better than buying a $10,000 car and becoming impaired for life. With that said.... I deal and will continue to deal with China on certain products that I know are safe. Will I ever buy a Chinese, Korean or a French car? Not in my life. I drive in a BMW for a reason and that's a reason that cannot have a monetary value placed on it.
The car you have, being one of the oldest pre-LCI E60 models, actually scored rather poorly in US and EU crash tests. I don't disagree safety is an important consideration, but you're living under a false sense of security if you think the initial E60 releases are as safe as the later models or some competitors. They're not. They'e not unsafe, but they're not as good as you might think.

The E60 initially effectively failed the Euro NCAP tests, getting a provisional three out of 5 stars. BMW was unusually allowed to re-submit the car with some design changes and it got up to four stars. In the meantime, the key competitors all received five star ratings on their first tests for their E60 peers (A6, E-Class etc).
Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='1063740' date='Nov 27 2009, 10:03 AM
Funny thing is sometimes I thought my Z4 felt a little poor on the build quality and figured it was due to being assembled in America. After purchasing the E60 I take that back. The E39 was of much better build quality than the E60, period. IMO, It's more come down to BMW cutting costs on the newer cars.

That being said, the zed was the most reliable car I've ever owned - more so than any of the other BMW's. It could just be due to it's simplicity, but I think ultimately someone at the top in an office in Germany says how something should be assembled. Whether this is done in Germany, China or the USA doesn't make a difference as the workers are only done exactly as they're told.
Right, BMW build quality doesn't seem to suffer based on the place of manufacture. BMW's US plants actually score very well in this respect. Posters who won't buy a BMW model simply because it's not built in Germany are crazy. Nothing wrong at all with the cars BMW makes here.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1063807' date='Nov 27 2009, 05:21 PM
Right, BMW build quality doesn't seem to suffer based on the place of manufacture. BMW's US plants actually score very well in this respect. Posters who won't buy a BMW model simply because it's not built in Germany are crazy. Nothing wrong at all with the cars BMW makes here.
Well I'm not crazy I'm just educated. You have your views and I have mine. To me there is a difference. Workers don't always put their heart into what they do......for the skillset that requires human hands that is.....most of the building is done via machines and computers. German people are very prideful people. In fact I'd smack my kid should he/she ever be so prideful.

I don't live under a false sense of security. I know what security actually is. Let's forget "crash tests" and the low sample size that is accounted for. First define a crash and the chances of THAT type of crash happening to me. What I look for is a response in the vehicle.......how i can control the vehicle given a specific circumstance should occur. Ever move is a calculated step. I could go out and buy a loaded M5 tomorrow in cash should I feel like it....but I'd rather take that money and pay attention to my "long term plan" and continue buying gold bullion until i see the market floor shift, which should be about...........well if I told you then you'd be right there with me. I like being a renaissance man.....

Face it, America is no longer the Rome it once was and is going to submit to consumerism. There is nothing wrong with that, history repeats itself. A very short-lived Rome, but nontheless it was a "Rome"......I personally don't think American craftsmanship is any good. The only thing good is their warranty on the product. Which is a false sense of security for consumers.....36K miles then 50K mi then 100K mi. No wonder they couldn't stay afloat. We were initially talking about China in case you have a short attention spam. Perhaps you're focused on your mortgage and credit card bills. My statements were my own personal view. If i'm slandered for expressing my 1st amendment rights so be it. I'm not crazy, I'm just educated.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

So is it safe or not? According to this result, it's OK http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=199 but the side impact didn't show a positive result.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1064551' date='Nov 29 2009, 01:20 PM
Well I'm not crazy I'm just educated. You have your views and I have mine. To me there is a difference. Workers don't always put their heart into what they do......for the skillset that requires human hands that is.....most of the building is done via machines and computers. German people are very prideful people. In fact I'd smack my kid should he/she ever be so prideful.

I don't live under a false sense of security. I know what security actually is. Let's forget "crash tests" and the low sample size that is accounted for. First define a crash and the chances of THAT type of crash happening to me. What I look for is a response in the vehicle.......how i can control the vehicle given a specific circumstance should occur. Ever move is a calculated step. I could go out and buy a loaded M5 tomorrow in cash should I feel like it....but I'd rather take that money and pay attention to my "long term plan" and continue buying gold bullion until i see the market floor shift, which should be about...........well if I told you then you'd be right there with me. I like being a renaissance man.....

Face it, America is no longer the Rome it once was and is going to submit to consumerism. There is nothing wrong with that, history repeats itself. A very short-lived Rome, but nontheless it was a "Rome"......I personally don't think American craftsmanship is any good. The only thing good is their warranty on the product. Which is a false sense of security for consumers.....36K miles then 50K mi then 100K mi. No wonder they couldn't stay afloat. We were initially talking about China in case you have a short attention spam. Perhaps you're focused on your mortgage and credit card bills. My statements were my own personal view. If i'm slandered for expressing my 1st amendment rights so be it. I'm not crazy, I'm just educated.
Right... All I did was correctly point out that your German built car didn't do as well as you seem to think it should have done in the European safety tests, and it was in fact you who first made the comment that you'd never buy a BMW that wasn't built in Germany. I offered a couple of legitimate (and correct) counterpoints.

As for the remainder of your post, I never bought anyone's wealth into the equation, and seeing as you have absolutely no idea about mine, it's kind of moot to speculate. I will, however, offer an another observation, which is that those who truly have money rarely flaunt it and rarely offer unsolicited comment on their personal wealth to complete strangers. You'll find that many if not most of the members here are very comfortable financially, but you'll find very few here who are crass enough to tell everyone about it. Why? Because no-one is particularly impressed, and no-one really cares...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1063806' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:18 PM
The car you have, being one of the oldest pre-LCI E60 models, actually scored rather poorly in US and EU crash tests. I don't disagree safety is an important consideration, but you're living under a false sense of security if you think the initial E60 releases are as safe as the later models or some competitors. They're not. They'e not unsafe, but they're not as good as you might think.

The E60 initially effectively failed the Euro NCAP tests, getting a provisional three out of 5 stars. BMW was unusually allowed to re-submit the car with some design changes and it got up to four stars. In the meantime, the key competitors all received five star ratings on their first tests for their E60 peers (A6, E-Class etc).

Swajames, your right as usual.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1063807' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:21 PM
ditto!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1064551' date='Nov 29 2009, 01:20 PM
If you're going to trade actual empirical data from crash tests for vague speculations about how a car might handle and help you avoid a crash, then you really should ask yourself if you're thinking rationally.

I like my E61, but crash tests do mean something. I'm not about to start thinking that crash test data is invalid just because it didn't show the result I wanted.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1064606' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:22 PM
Right... All I did was correctly point out that your German built car didn't do as well as you seem to think it should have done in the European safety tests, and it was in fact you who first made the comment that you'd never buy a BMW that wasn't built in Germany. I offered a couple of legitimate (and correct) counterpoints.

As for the remainder of your post, I never bought anyone's wealth into the equation, and seeing as you have absolutely no idea about mine, it's kind of moot to speculate. I will, however, offer an another observation, which is that those who truly have money rarely flaunt it and rarely offer unsolicited comment on their personal wealth to complete strangers. You'll find that many if not most of the members here are very comfortable financially, but you'll find very few here who are crass enough to tell everyone about it. Why? Because no-one is particularly impressed, and no-one really cares...
Enough said. You can offer speculations all you want. Fact is we don't know each other and never will. Point is I feel you are being a bit on the Nationalistic side. I came into the car because someone felt it was better to give it to me than to owe a debt to me. Pre-LCI or not. You brought my vehicle into the equation for what reason again? You don't need to answer that, it ends here.