E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large Screen Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody, I have a '07 525xi no navi, basic small display , which annoys the hell outta me, I wish I woulda recognized the difference in screen sizes before I bought this one, but the E38 I had b4 this one was ruining my life. I was just so happy to be rid of that nightmare, but thats another story for another day. Is there anyone out there who has just changed their display from small to large and left the cd intact?? If so, was there any coding that had to be done? I really want to put navigation but somehow I don't believe these ads on ebay that claim plug and play. I am afraid of all the coding, disabling the car and the $$$$. Someone recommended to me to place a video module in my car and just use my Iphone for navi and sat radio to keep costs down? Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. I did search this question b4 posting and could not find specifics, Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

It all depends on where you want to reach with these small parts.

Getting an OEM 8.8" screen is only worth/satisfying it if you are going to do the navigation retrofit in the long run. In the short run, it will just shift your screen on the left but it wont look any better. Costs around 150-200$ on a good day on ebay. I had that running for me for an year or so, then decided it was not good enough. I had also installed the video unit - it was good, but a pain to use. I only used it on 2-3 hour drives.

Then I decided to just go ahead and slowly put together parts for the navigation. With the trim and everything, you are looking to spend a total of around $800-$900 on the navigation retrofit, assuming you learn to code yourself. I think thats still better than paying 200 for a video module, and then realizing how much of a pain it is to navigate with the video from your phone. This comes from someone who spent the money on the video module, then spent the money on getting the whole navigation set.

A lot of people here have installed navigation units on their cars. You are in good company.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Maybe this is me, but I can't recommend people to do OEM nav retrofit for pre-LCIs. The reason is that people that has never used a nav equipped pre-LCI, they do not realize how much slower iDrive system is because of the nav, especially at start up. Those of us with the MASK system, we pretty much start the car and can begin navigating the iDrive, be it for music change, or whatever else.

On CCC, you're looking at a good minute, or maybe even more, depending on the options your car has. In general, it's just a laggy experience. I would rather just get a $200-$300 aftermarket nav, which will be top of the line, most likely with lifetime map and traffic built-in, and call it a day.

Of course, this isn't about your original question of upgrading the screen, but I am stressing the crappiness of CCC.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

The CCC is remarkably crappy. +1 on that. Is the LCI CCC any faster? Haven't used one. I assume CIC would be the fix...

Simon - got busy this week, but if you're still willing I still need help with those lights once things lighten up.

To answer the question - I wouldn't bother putting the 8.8" in with a M-ASK system. The image won't be any bigger and it is misaligned on the screen.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by Sublime
Is the LCI CCC any faster? Haven't used one. I assume CIC would be the fix...
I think so. Mine (LCI CCC retrofitted) boots in seconds (5 or so), and is similar to my dad's car in which I did a CIC retrofit. There is definitely a little bit of lag when opening things compared to my old MASK, but it's not not bad at all. Maybe 1 second or so more, each time I am pressing on Navigation/Entertainment/Communication etc. There is no lag in navigation prompts or anything.

PS: I have never been in a non-LCI car, so have no way to compare.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by vinsobe
Hello everybody, I have a '07 525xi no navi, basic small display , which annoys the hell outta me, I wish I woulda recognized the difference in screen sizes before I bought this one, but the E38 I had b4 this one was ruining my life. I was just so happy to be rid of that nightmare, but thats another story for another day. Is there anyone out there who has just changed their display from small to large and left the cd intact?? If so, was there any coding that had to be done? I really want to put navigation but somehow I don't believe these ads on ebay that claim plug and play. I am afraid of all the coding, disabling the car and the $$$$. Someone recommended to me to place a video module in my car and just use my Iphone for navi and sat radio to keep costs down? Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. I did search this question b4 posting and could not find specifics, Thanks
If you simply swap the screen from small to big without changing the MASK you will get a small video screen to the Left of the large screen, which looks cr*p. To use the whole screen you must upgrade to the CCC.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

Not sure how much better a retrofit nav would be in your car, but my '05 nav is not something that I'd recommend. Compared to an Acura, the BMW system is weak for a variety of reasons, and user friendly it is NOT, especially if your're trying to use it on the fly.

Wouldn't dream of trying to do this retrofit. One major problem, and you're off to the dealer for a major cash extraction.

Aftermarket system is the way to go for sure. Other than that, buy another car.