E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lane Departure on '08 535i

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Looking at a '08 535i and saw a button on the steering wheel which appears to be a lane departure button. The dashed lines converging out in the distance with the arrow heads around them. Didnt know this feature was available on '08 e60, can anyone confirm, and also let me know how the feature works from a technology and functionality standpoint?

I have seen/experienced that feature on a 2011 535i where the steering wheel vibrates if you cross the line on the road. But that feature is based on some small cameras mounted I believe on the front bumper corners, or maybe under the side mirrors (i cant remember which but the salesman pointed them out to me). The e60 doesnt have those cameras does it?

Anyone that has this feature I would love to hear how this feature works (dose the steering wheel give a subtle vibrate and an audible warning like the f10 version) and do you find it useful, and an important feature?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Pretty sure that option was NOT available for the E60. Got a pic of that button?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Turboe
Looking at a '08 535i and saw a button on the steering wheel which appears to be a lane departure button. The dashed lines converging out in the distance with the arrow heads around them. Didnt know this feature was available on '08 e60, can anyone confirm, and also let me know how the feature works from a technology and functionality standpoint?

I have seen/experienced that feature on a 2011 535i where the steering wheel vibrates if you cross the line on the road. But that feature is based on some small cameras mounted I believe on the front bumper corners, or maybe under the side mirrors (i cant remember which but the salesman pointed them out to me). The e60 doesnt have those cameras does it?

Anyone that has this feature I would love to hear how this feature works (dose the steering wheel give a subtle vibrate and an audible warning like the f10 version) and do you find it useful, and an important feature?

Thanks,
I don't have it but yes it was available for the 08 and uses a camera mounted in the rear view mirror same as the high beam assist camera. It does take a steering wheel that has the vibration module in it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I don't have it but yes it was available for the 08 and uses a camera mounted in the rear view mirror same as the high beam assist camera. It does take a steering wheel that has the vibration module in it.
Glad to hear that it was available, because I didnt know that it was either. Any idea how well it works in the e60 version? Because the f10 version I drove the feature was pretty impressive and spot on.

Cant get the image to post unfortunately orange...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Members

OK lets try this to post the picture...
Attached Thumbnails Lane Departure on '08 535i-535.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

I guess it was available. My mistake. Never on a E60 did I see that. Must be a special order E60 with all the options. It should work the same way the system works for the F10.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Members

I have lane departure warning on my '08 550i, it's apart of the technology package. It works just as you described in the f10 5 series. The steering wheel just vibrates, it does it's job. Not the biggest fan of this feature.

What I do find very helpful is the heads up display. One of the best features on the car, very useful.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by m_power
I have lane departure warning on my '08 550i, it's apart of the technology package. It works just as you described in the f10 5 series. The steering wheel just vibrates, it does it's job. Not the biggest fan of this feature.

What I do find very helpful is the heads up display. One of the best features on the car, very useful.
any idea what else comes on the "technology package" I think this car in question had the active cruise control, but not heads up display.

As I am looking at cars online I am trying to determine if there is any way from some of the pictures to determine what features a car might have, because I have found that the option lists online are very incomplete. I feel like a sleuth trying to catch a glimpse in one of the online pics to see if a certain car has a particular option I am looking for. The ones that are hard to figure out at least from my limited knowledge are Logic 7, Adaptive Headlights, comfort access, and USB connect. Havent figured out any visible signs that give those away.

Any hints are always welcome.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Members

75% of your 2008 e60's are going to be outfitted without the sport package, cd changer or changer prep, 50/50 professional i-drive/business i-drive, non-sport seats, auto wipers, fogs, no HUD, parking sensors 50/50, no lane shift.

It was a standard build shipped ot dealers.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I have it on my 08 550, it only works on well maintained roads, I live in NYC so of course I NEVER use it. I've used it on road trips and it does work. But IMO it kinda startles you at times because you're driving along and all of a sudden if you drift a little the steering wheel vibrates and your first reaction is to grab it and jerk it left or right which just makes the situation worse. A loud beep or something would be better.

I only turn it on when I'm texting while driving...

Quick Reply: Lane Departure on '08 535i