E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lamp malfunction/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hi All,

I have two messages popping up - one that says there is a "left front parking lamp malfunction" and one that says there is a "left front turn signal malfunction". The parking lamp seems to be the ring around the inner halogen headlight (it doesn't light up like the other side) and there is no blinking action on that corner at all (although the side marker light blinks). If it matters, I have the Xenon, adaptive headlights.

I couldn't see easily how to get into the headlight assembly to change these bulbs myself, so to the dealer I went. The SA told me that you have to remove the bumper to get at the headlight assembly, which, of course, costs a couple of hours of labor.

I'm having trouble believing that BMW engineered something like this... remove the bumper to replace a blinker bulb? Does anyone have experience with replacing these bulbs themselves? I did some searching on the forum, but either I am poor at forming my queries or this has not been discussed.

Thanks very much!

Jon.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you know, i heard the same thing too. i wonder if its true.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

jmd, I had the same problem last week. I was on my way to order new angel eyes, but before doing so, I banged on my headlight by making a fist. What do you know... the angel eyes worked again. It was just a loose connection. Give it a try to see if it fixes your issue.

If not, removing the bumper is not needed. You can wiggle out the headlight. Just make sure you mask off the bumper area at the edges of your headlight and bumper so you don't scuff your paint while shimming out the headlight housing.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

If you remove the headlight do do this, do you have to worry about getting them re-aligned after they are re-installed, or will the alignment remain intact?

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='894237' date='May 29 2009, 01:02 PM
jmd, I had the same problem last week. I was on my way to order new angel eyes, but before doing so, I banged on my headlight by making a fist. What do you know... the angel eyes worked again. It was just a loose connection. Give it a try to see if it fixes your issue.

If not, removing the bumper is not needed. You can wiggle out the headlight. Just make sure you mask off the bumper area at the edges of your headlight and bumper so you don't scuff your paint while shimming out the headlight housing.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='894246' date='May 29 2009, 03:12 PM
If you remove the headlight do do this, do you have to worry about getting them re-aligned after they are re-installed, or will the alignment remain intact?
If you remove the headlight and reinstall, then it will auto level when start your car up with the xenon headlights. It does this process in the first few second your lights are swtiched on.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Yep-I did this when I installed my AEBs...

You can pop out the entire headlight assembly without having to disconnect the battery. Follow the DIY for the AEB install (do a search) and you'll see which screws you need to pop off. When you pull the headlight out, make sure you make a mental note of where the edge of the headlights brow (the orange light) lines up on the front end so you can position it that way.

Disconnect the headlight cables and you can play with the entire assembly on a table. Basically, you want to pull of the main cover off the back unit (the round one on top and the one on the back) and pry your fingers in to pull/twist each bulb out. A pair of long curved pliers with a needle nose can save you same scrapes. It's not too hard. Pulling off the bumper is BALONEY!

Hope this helps and good luck!

=S=
Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

If it's the ring bulb, then you don't have to remove the headlight to change it although if you have big hands, it will be harder for you.

I have done that myself following one of the post in this forum. Give it a search. It has a pretty detail guide.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='894426' date='May 30 2009, 08:20 AM
If it's the ring bulb, then you don't have to remove the headlight to change it although if you have big hands, it will be harder for you.

I have done that myself following one of the post in this forum. Give it a search. It has a pretty detail guide.
Both way are work.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='894211' date='May 29 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi All,

I have two messages popping up - one that says there is a "left front parking lamp malfunction" and one that says there is a "left front turn signal malfunction". The parking lamp seems to be the ring around the inner halogen headlight (it doesn't light up like the other side) and there is no blinking action on that corner at all (although the side marker light blinks). If it matters, I have the Xenon, adaptive headlights.

I couldn't see easily how to get into the headlight assembly to change these bulbs myself, so to the dealer I went. The SA told me that you have to remove the bumper to get at the headlight assembly, which, of course, costs a couple of hours of labor.

I'm having trouble believing that BMW engineered something like this... remove the bumper to replace a blinker bulb? Does anyone have experience with replacing these bulbs themselves? I did some searching on the forum, but either I am poor at forming my queries or this has not been discussed.

Thanks very much!

Jon.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

im having the same problem with my right side, i see a bigt cap and a box with 2 clamps. which one do i open??

Quick Reply: Lamp malfunction/replacement