E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Kidde pool on my back passenger side floor....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Do you have any children? My son used to pee whenever it rained. Perhaps it is not rain. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

That happened to me recently. The repair order stated that there is a curtain on the rear passenger's door that came unglued. It's at the bottom of the door panel. When it came unglued, it allowed water to come in through the seam between the rocker and the bottom of the door.

They replaced it under CPO warranty and now it's dry back there again.

Henry
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ADD' post='927214' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:39 AM
My associates 2002 e39 had this problem, and I've heard of it before.

I *think* what happened was that there are drainholes on the bottom of the door for any rain or moisture that can get in, and they were plugged. Check the bottom edge of the door. Also, I think he had to have the internal panel of the door removed to have a moisture barrier reinstalled. I think that with the drain holes plugged, the water was re-routed to areas of the door that it shouldn't have been.

Not a big deal, but annoying. I don't know why it's the passenger rear door all the time.

Make sure the carpet doesn't get moldy. May want to get some of those moisture absorbing bags that you put in a boat for the winter. Check marine supply.

GL

*edit. Now that I think about it some more, it may have to do with the sunroof drain. I think the sunroof drain tubes go down through there, and drain out the bottom of the rear door. If the holes to drain are plugged, all the water builds up and eventually lets loose into the rear carpet.

I could be wrong, but I think that was it. Do you drive with your sunroof open a lot? (Not when it's raining, of course)
+1 In my E39 it was the vapor barrier inside the door that came loose. Check Sunroof drains make sure they aren't plugged up (these are int he back of the Sunroof casette and or the drainholes in the door itself isnt plugged. In my case it was covered under CPO so Im not sure how much it would have cost to rectify otherwise. this is a prettty simple issue to diagonose/fix.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by baje1' post='927171' date='Jun 29 2009, 06:07 AM
Dose anyone have a clue as to why all of a sudden when I drive in the rain my back passenger side floor gets a bunch of water in it? Is there a panel of sometnhing missing? Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

Hi,
The same thing happened to me on June 19..I removed my back seat and lifted up the rug and there was areoun 1 1/2 - 2 inches of water under it. I removed the water and contacted my insurance company. I left my car in my garage with the windows open until tuesday to dry it out until the tow truck could bring it to BMW.
So if i was you i would remove the back seat and get that carpet up to see the amount of water.. There is also drain plugs you can open once the carpet is up to release the water if you dont have a wetvac.

I just heard back this morning that it was the Sunroof Frame that was leaking down the side of my car into the floor board. My insurance company is replacing that and having the liner cleaned. I just have to pay my deductable and difference in labor rates. I contacted BMW and they said they will remove the carpets, clean and dry them out. They said the electronics under my seat look to be fine despite the warning signs coming up on the idrive screen when it was towed in early last week. They said all the idrive warnings are gone.

If BMW contacts me with anything else I'll keep u posted.
Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='927384' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi,
The same thing happened to me on June 19..I removed my back seat and lifted up the rug and there was areoun 1 1/2 - 2 inches of water under it. I removed the water and contacted my insurance company. I left my car in my garage with the windows open until tuesday to dry it out until the tow truck could bring it to BMW.
So if i was you i would remove the back seat and get that carpet up to see the amount of water.. There is also drain plugs you can open once the carpet is up to release the water if you dont have a wetvac.

I just heard back this morning that it was the Sunroof Frame that was leaking down the side of my car into the floor board. My insurance company is replacing that and having the liner cleaned. I just have to pay my deductable and difference in labor rates. I contacted BMW and they said they will remove the carpets, clean and dry them out. They said the electronics under my seat look to be fine despite the warning signs coming up on the idrive screen when it was towed in early last week. They said all the idrive warnings are gone.

If BMW contacts me with anything else I'll keep u posted.
Good Luck.
What a drag. Sorry to hear that happened to you. OP: This definitely sounds like the culprit.

Sorry to threadjack: Anyone know how to prevent this? Where exactly are these sunroof drains that get stopped up? I guess I've never really looked around up there, but sounds like I (we) should.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by baje1' post='927171' date='Jun 29 2009, 02:07 PM
Dose anyone have a clue as to why all of a sudden when I drive in the rain my back passenger side floor gets a bunch of water in it? Is there a panel of sometnhing missing? Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Do you have a sunroof on your E60?

If so, is the water limited to the floor behind the seats, or is there also water in your trunk?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='927409' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:04 AM
What a drag. Sorry to hear that happened to you. OP: This definitely sounds like the culprit.

Sorry to threadjack: Anyone know how to prevent this? Where exactly are these sunroof drains that get stopped up? I guess I've never really looked around up there, but sounds like I (we) should.
Sure, Calvin, don't drive in rain and don't wash the car -try dry cleaning.

Seriously, if this is a design flaw then I am not sure if we, as owners, can do anything to prevent it.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='927448' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:53 PM
Sure, Calvin, don't drive in rain and don't wash the car -try dry cleaning.

Seriously, if this is a design flaw then I am not sure if we, as owners, can do anything to prevent it.
I guess I am just wondering if we can see/clean the drains as maintenance. If it's a little drain hole full of crud, then I'll just remove said crud, assuming I can get to it. Kinda like people do with their home's gutters. Am I missing something? Like I said, I've never really looked around up there while the sunroof was open.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='927461' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:02 AM
I guess I am just wondering if we can see/clean the drains as maintenance. If it's a little drain hole full of crud, then I'll just remove said crud, assuming I can get to it. Kinda like people do with their home's gutters. Am I missing something? Like I said, I've never really looked around up there while the sunroof was open.
Neither have I, but a lot of cars I have had came with sunroofs and I've never seen any way of cleaning the drains. Maybe there is one we just haven't seen?
The dry cleaning option is still open...........
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='927461' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:02 PM
I guess I am just wondering if we can see/clean the drains as maintenance.
Nope. Just like with the E61, sunroof drains are classed as a "non-customer serviceable part" by BMW.

With the E61, if your sunroof drain tubes are clogged, the ENTIRE electrical system of your BMW can be ruined. The sunroof drain tubes clog up, then fail (burst or rupture), and all of the water that the tubes are supposed to let out under the rear bumper, get dumped into your trunk. This is the same location (E61) for many control modules on the E61.

With the E61, the only way to get at these drain tube ends is to remove the rear bumper. I am not sure what the procedure is with the E60.

Quick Reply: Kidde pool on my back passenger side floor....