E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key specific settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Had an upgrade to 20.01 earlier this week. I only took one key in and all my settings for that key have been retained. However, all the data for the other key has been reset - i.e. all radio presets cleared, etc..

Anybody know if it possible to transfer all the settings associated with one key to another?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

When my car was updated to 18 a while back I had the opposite experience. The key I left with the car had many (not all) settings cleared, but my other key was OK. To transfer from the good key to the cleared key, I started the car with the good key, turned off & locked it. Then unlocked with the good key, but started it with the cleared key. The settings were back, so I turned off car & locked with the formerly cleared key. I assume from this that the key settings are saved when you lock the car.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Members

Hmmm, just went outside and tried that. No joy - when I get to the step where I unlock with the good key and start with the clear key nothing is back.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by sumu' post='233696' date='Feb 2 2006, 01:31 PM
Hmmm, just went outside and tried that. No joy - when I get to the step where I unlock with the good key and start with the clear key nothing is back.

Ya that doesnt work... once the cleared key gets close to the ignition the car will register that key and convert the car to whats stored in that keys memory. I think the settings are saved on the key you TURN the car off with.

TRY THIS... start the car with the good key and then bring the cleared key up to the ignition so both keys back are like back to back and then hold them together and then shut off the engine... that might save the same settings onto both keys...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by sumu' post='233682' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:04 PM
Had an upgrade to 20.01 earlier this week. I only took one key in and all my settings for that key have been retained. However, all the data for the other key has been reset - i.e. all radio presets cleared, etc..

Anybody know if it possible to transfer all the settings associated with one key to another?
I have never been able to figure out how to do what you/we want. It looks like BMW would have thought of giving us a path for doing so.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='233840

Ya that doesnt work... once the cleared key gets close to the ignition the car will register that key and convert the car to whats stored in that keys memory. I think the settings are saved on the key you TURN the car off with.

TRY THIS... start the car with the good key and then bring the cleared key up to the ignition so both keys back are like back to back and then hold them together and then shut off the engine... that might save the same settings onto both keys...
[/quote]
I'll try it!!! I never use the second key, but when I have, no saved data. I pondered looking up the answer in the manual, but you may have saved me lord EBMCS03
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='233885' date='Feb 2 2006, 06:57 PM
I'll try it!!! I never use the second key, but when I have, no saved data. I pondered looking up the answer in the manual, but you may have saved me lord EBMCS03

Hahaha its just a guess... dont slay me if it doesnt work...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='233885
Originally Posted by sumu' post='233696' date='Feb 2 2006, 01:31 PM

[/quote]
Great minds think alike! ... Tried the back to back key - No doesn't work!

... and there's nothing in the manual (what did you expect from a manual that doesn't tell you even important stuff like the particle filter clean cycle!).

So no option but to sit and reprogram all the settings. BMW - if you read this then please can we have a way to do this in a future s/w release. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sumu' post='234001' date='Feb 3 2006, 02:50 AM

... and there's nothing in the manual (what did you expect from a manual that doesn't tell you even important stuff like the particle filter clean cycle!).

So no option but to sit and reprogram all the settings. BMW - if you read this then please can we have a way to do this in a future s/w release. Thanks.

Hahha DOH now only if it worked... then our minds would have been great... now its just a useless mind...

Ok heres another try...

1.) Unlock the car with the Master Key and turn the igniton to position 2. Shut down the car, Take it out and

2.) Lock the car with the cleared blank key.

See if that works...

I would try it myself but I dont have a blank key and i dont want to erase my key2 with Key1 settings...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='234477

Hahha DOH now only if it worked... then our minds would have been great... now its just a useless mind...
[/quote]

The igntion trick won't work because the EWS sytem (how the car recognizes what key is in the ign) is separate from remote key functions (FZV) and key memory.

I'd try this, but NOT sure if it'll work. Try unlocking the vehicle REMOTELY (This is very importantl) and verify all the settings are for that key. Now close the door and lock the vehicle remotely with the key you want the settings copied to. If that doesn't work, well changing everything manually is an option lol. Also a little trick, if you unlock the vehicle mechanically with the key (not by remote) and change the settings and then lock it remotely it won't save the changed settings. Only if the vehicle is opened and locked remotely it will save the changes made.

This will only work for certain features of key memory. There are a few settings that can only be activated or changed through the GT1 (BMW diagnosis machine)

Quick Reply: Key specific settings